Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Health Insurance Policies For Maternity
Stepping 11:45 AM 01-16-2014
We are thinking about trying for a second baby. I was employed when I conceived my first and had great medical coverage through my employer.

The individual plan I pay for now does not cover maternity costs. How do you pay for your maternity costs when you're self employed? Are there separate policies or do I add to my existing policy? If anyone knows of a good insurance company to contact, I would appreciate the advice.

Also, anyone used Aflac for short term disability? I'm thinking of one of their policies to cover my maternity leave.

TIA
Blackcat31 01:42 PM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by Stepping:
We are thinking about trying for a second baby. I was employed when I conceived my first and had great medical coverage through my employer.

The individual plan I pay for now does not cover maternity costs. How do you pay for your maternity costs when you're self employed? Are there separate policies or do I add to my existing policy? If anyone knows of a good insurance company to contact, I would appreciate the advice.

Also, anyone used Aflac for short term disability? I'm thinking of one of their policies to cover my maternity leave.

TIA
I don't personally know anything about maternity costs but my friend who is self-employed used Combined Insurance (VERY similar to AFLAC) and had 6 weeks of maternity leave covered.

I don't know the specifics or the cost but you can google Combined and maybe it will tell you.

I do use Combined as a supplemental insurance for accidents and/or sickness.
cara041083 02:00 PM 01-16-2014
From my experience. I had one baby when my plan didn't have maternity coverage. I basically had to pay the doc upfront by the 7 month (they take off I think like 40% if you get it paid off before the baby is here) and then I set up payment plans with the hospital. Here is what I learned:

1. depending on where you are, most states offer Medicaid if you are prego (they have different requirements for pregnant woman)

2. You most likely can not add it to your coverage. You might check though because with the new laws I think they might have to cover you for that. ( unless your deductible is so high that it doesn't make a difference)

3. If you do decide to pay the doc up front its called a global fee. That will cover all your visits, the birth, and 1 sono. All of your labs and extras (like epiderarl) will be billed separate) and so will the hospital bill. Then when the hospital bill comes in you can see if you qualify for financial help with it and that may lower it.

As for the baby, he or she should be covered but I would call and check. I don't think that falls into maternity benefits.

Good luck
Tags:disability, insurance, maternity, pregnancy
Reply Up