Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Operating Costs/ Insurance
tinyexplorers 04:12 PM 04-15-2009
Hello Everyone,
I am a child care provider who is interested in opening a child care center. I am trying to get an idea of start up and operating costs. Is there anything that most first timers typically forget to add. Also can someone please tell me the cost of insurance b/c the insurance companies won’t call me back once they realize that I am not purchasing insurance right away.
tymaboy 07:30 AM 04-16-2009
You should already have home owners or renters insurance just call them & they will add it to you insurance. It all depends on how many children you have in care to what your insurance will cost. I do not know mine off hand but know that it is that much more then my home owners insurance.
tinyexplorers 11:07 AM 04-16-2009
Thanks for your help. I currently have an in home child care that is insured for 8 children. The people I use only insure in home family centers but I was thinking of (read that as need to get it out of my house) expanding it to another building outside of my home. I have no idea how much it would cost to insure a center with about 50 -80 kids. Does anyone have this info?
GretasLittleFriends 11:33 PM 04-16-2009
Are you on the food program? Some of the non-profits that sponsor the food program also sponsor daycare insurance.

One website you could check out is www.acainc.org then click "insurance". I personally haven't looked into this from them, but I know it's available. Just an idea.
tinyexplorers 09:45 AM 04-21-2009
I was on the food program that is offered through the state (or county) but I reduced my numbers and it wasn’t worth the paperwork. They only work with family providers. Thanks for the link, I have my current insurance through them and it is very affordable but they don’t offer it for larger centers.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 11-10-2010
Hello Everyone,
I am a child care provider who is interested in opening a child care center. I am trying to get an idea of start up and operating costs. Is there anything that most first timers typically forget to add. Also can someone please tell me the cost of insurance b/c the insurance companies won’t call me back once they realize that I am not purchasing insurance right away.
Sue 01:24 PM 05-14-2012
I was referred to this insurance place that handle daycare insurance. My previous premium was kind of high a little bit over $978 it is now only $500 / year and i also got the Accidental medical plan to cover everyone including myself and my helpers, for like $200 for the liability The insurance is called KIDS. They have a website called www.insurance4daycare.com
The site is real cute and I did mostly everything myself, though I received a call from one of the gals to confirm my order and to go over my coverage. Try it
Kim 05:36 PM 05-14-2012
I'm a family provider and have DCI- www.dcins.com I've been with them fo 4 years and they have great customer service. They also cover centers. They are reasonable for family child care insurance so hopefully they will be reasonable for centers.
Sugar Magnolia 08:08 PM 05-15-2012
We opened a center, and wow, there are a lot of expenses, but insurance was not the most costly or hard to get. I have Lloyds of London. My local independent agent handles it. I had a whole different set of insurance issues. My center is in a 100 year old house, in Florida, coastal flood area. Not simple to insure. But the daycare likability is for a million $, covers everything, its like $700 annual. I have tons tons tons if info on opening a center so pm me with any questions. I am most helpful in areas of zoning, real estate, and city/county codes, etc.
maxwell 02:06 PM 09-20-2012
Sugar Magnolia,

Just wondering...what was the most costly expense and toughest hurdle you found when opening your center? My husband and i are considering it and i have a fairly thorough list of overhead costs...and i anticipate the "people" aspect will be the biggest challange...i think...but i am interested to know what i don't know...thanks!
Unregistered 06:16 AM 12-06-2012
hello i plan on becoming a registered childminder but i was looking to know how much it would cost roughly to start off in my own home. i was wondering how much the insurence would be also and the other costs you need?
Unregistered- blessed one 02:54 PM 12-26-2012
I'm looking to open an at home registered day care.... I live in NYC and I'm Trying to find out what kind of insurance I can use to insure my apartment for my daycare. Also any advice in advertising and getting children placed in to my daycare, without going thru ACS. The network agencies like ACS pay very little and now you have to pay to be apart of they're network. Also any advice on food programs, lessons I can teach and any other courses I should take to besides the health and safety and CPR course.
RyanWal88 10:09 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
We opened a center, and wow, there are a lot of expenses, but insurance was not the most costly or hard to get. I have Lloyds of London. My local independent agent handles it. I had a whole different set of insurance issues. My center is in a 100 year old house, in Florida, coastal flood area. Not simple to insure. But the daycare likability is for a million $, covers everything, its like $700 annual. I have tons tons tons if info on opening a center so pm me with any questions. I am most helpful in areas of zoning, real estate, and city/county codes, etc.
I am interested in starting a preschool, in Georgia. My parents currently own one in Melbourne Florida.. They have been helpful but the more information I can get the better.

They took over an existing daycare.
I was wondering if you could break down what you think the most important things I need to know from starting fresh?

What I know so far that I need:
1) Director Credentials
2) Licensure Orientation Meeting
3) Licensing Application packages
Includes
Zoning approval
Lease agreement- if I rent
Fingerprint record
Certificate of occupancy
Completed Initial Licensing study
Director Application
Than an onsite inspection for approval

Costs:
Building
Supplies- Chairs Tables and such
State Licensing Fee
Insurance- Liability and property
Payroll
Monthly expenses- like food, water electric maintenance

Is there anything I am missing???
When getting insurance is property and liability insurance separate?
How long till I see a return and start earning income?
Overall Start up costs?

Thank you very much for your time
If its not an inconvenience please Email me at RyanWaldorf88@yahoo.com
I would love to talk more (you never ask too many questions)
Annalee 04:25 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Kim:
I'm a family provider and have DCI- www.dcins.com I've been with them fo 4 years and they have great customer service. They also cover centers. They are reasonable for family child care insurance so hopefully they will be reasonable for centers.
I have had this insurance as well for many years....very courteous service....affordable prices. I have never had a claim but I know two FCC providers who have and were out nothing out of pocket....prompt service.
Daycare Insurance 11:47 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by tinyexplorers:
Hello Everyone,
We provide commercial centers insurance and we can give you a quote regardless if you are purchasing right away or in the future. Generally quotations are only good for 30 days, so you may have to complete another application but Give us a call and we can give you a ball park figure over the phone based on a few questions.

Commercial centers premiums can widely range based upon the types of coverages and limits you require so its never a self rated program like our in-home policy.

Its also a good rule of thumb that the more children you are licensed for or have enrolled the higher your premium can become. Obviously centers with 30-40 children would be lower in premium than centers with 100 or more.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Daycare Insurance:
We provide commercial centers insurance and we can give you a quote regardless if you are purchasing right away or in the future. Generally quotations are only good for 30 days, so you may have to complete another application but Give us a call and we can give you a ball park figure over the phone based on a few questions.

Commercial centers premiums can widely range based upon the types of coverages and limits you require so its never a self rated program like our in-home policy.

Its also a good rule of thumb that the more children you are licensed for or have enrolled the higher your premium can become. Obviously centers with 30-40 children would be lower in premium than centers with 100 or more.
Great info!

....but the post you answered/replied to was from 2009.
Tags:costs, insurance, operating costs
Reply Up