Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School District Closed But......
Unregistered 06:17 AM 03-05-2018
Three out of five of my daycare families have a parent who works for the school district. I was notified by one of the non school district working families that she is taking the day off and keeping her kids home. The three families who are off because school is closed are still bringing their kids. I even offered that they could use a vacation day if they wanted to do so. None took advantage of that and two of those families have older children that they will be staying home with today! I realize that because I am still open (I stay open because of the non school district working families), this still gives them the option to bring their child. However, I still will never understand not wanting to spend an unexpected day off with your own child!! It throws a wrench in when I stay open for other families that still need to go to work. Would it seem unfair to add in my contract that if the district is closed due to inclement weather, district workers cannot bring their children? I feel like we as providers, need to force parents into spending extra time with their children, because given the option, they choose not to be with them.
Indoorvoice 06:32 AM 03-05-2018
I have in my contract that teachers need to stay home if their district is closed. I give a slight yearly tuition discount to teachers to account for days off and summer. This helps me stay within my ratio when my kids have to stay home from school since they both count towards my ratio.
HappyEverAfter 06:40 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Three out of five of my daycare families have a parent who works for the school district. I was notified by one of the non school district working families that she is taking the day off and keeping her kids home. The three families who are off because school is closed are still bringing their kids. I even offered that they could use a vacation day if they wanted to do so. None took advantage of that and two of those families have older children that they will be staying home with today! I realize that because I am still open (I stay open because of the non school district working families), this still gives them the option to bring their child. However, I still will never understand not wanting to spend an unexpected day off with your own child!! It throws a wrench in when I stay open for other families that still need to go to work. Would it seem unfair to add in my contract that if the district is closed due to inclement weather, district workers cannot bring their children? I feel like we as providers, need to force parents into spending extra time with their children, because given the option, they choose not to be with them.
I don’t see anything wrong with putting it in your policies/contract. As long as parents are made aware of the policy ahead of time and agree to it by continuing to do business with you then I see no problem at all.
Play Care 06:54 AM 03-05-2018
In the past my teacher families always kept their kids home over breaks and such. This past year I've noticed more of them sending their kids in. I had agreed to have a couple of SA boys not realizing that all my teacher kids would be here as well. It was way too much
In my mind it's fine if they want to use that time, but I'll just know to say no to any extras.
storybookending 07:02 AM 03-05-2018
I don’t see why you couldn’t write it in to your contract. I have two moms that work for the district, one teacher, one support staff, but our district more often than not even when school is cancelled has the teachers report. School was out last week (maybe two weeks ago, lost track) Monday and Tuesday and teachers had to go Monday and they weren’t emailed until 6:30AM Tuesday that they didn’t have to report Tuesday. They were emailed at 10PM the night before to plan on reporting. I had one mom catch the 6:30AM email in time and stay home and the other didn’t see it as she was busy with morning routines and ended up bringing her kids but then only worked a half day. If I ever have kids I can see myself saying that daycare closes if the local district closes but right now it doesn’t bother me to work.
amberrose3dg 07:02 AM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is why I now close for spring break and Christmas break. No one else would come except teachers kids who were off. I am finding it more and more parents especially teachers do not want to stay home with their kids. Our schools have been closed for a teachers strike and they still wanted to bring their kids even with a credit back they didn't want to stay home. You can most certainly put whatever you feel makes your business work in your contract. They either agree on it or they leave. I plan to overhaul mine as I never accounted on a teachers strike and will figure out something that makes sense for the future.
Unregistered 07:38 AM 03-05-2018
My policy states that if a parental workplace closes for weather or other area disaster, that children belong with the parent. What they do for a living has no bearing on my policy.
MomBoss 12:59 PM 03-05-2018
Due to bad weather, schools in the area are closed. I have mostly teachers kids so they stayed home with their children. However, one family who is not a teacher but has 2 school aged kids that are home today..still brought their child. I dont understand. If your home with one child, keep the other too!
rosieteddy 01:42 PM 03-05-2018
I gave a teacher contract that stated no school no care.They got a discount for summer and did not bring the child on school vacations..I eventually just went by school closings for everyone in emergencies -snow ect.I found that if parents had the option to send their child they did.Even when siblings were home the children came to daycare.I told them it was for safety..
hwichlaz 02:10 PM 03-05-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Due to bad weather, schools in the area are closed. I have mostly teachers kids so they stayed home with their children. However, one family who is not a teacher but has 2 school aged kids that are home today..still brought their child. I dont understand. If your home with one child, keep the other too!

See, I can see doing something special one on one with my older kid who is usually stuck being limited because of a tag along younger sib. The older kids get, the fewer opportunities you have for that one on one time with them because they are in school.
MomBoss 05:18 AM 03-06-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
See, I can see doing something special one on one with my older kid who is usually stuck being limited because of a tag along younger sib. The older kids get, the fewer opportunities you have for that one on one time with them because they are in school.
I would like to think that, but i know this one family and I know they did not do anything special with the other 2 kids at home. Plus, they kept their child with me from open til close. I dont have my daycare in my home so i also had to drive home in bad weather. As the parent picks up right at 5pm "its really bad out there!" Um you think? Thanks for letting me go home early to avoid all the traffic and danger...-_- i had to spend 15min getting the snow off my car too. Thankfully my husband was saying that as soon as he gets his raise/promotion..i can weed out more "bad" clients or close unpaid for days like this.
Reply Up