Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindysmiles View Post


What are your plans post daycare, Bunnyslippers? Lolaland, what is new and exciting your way? What are your summer plans??

5 more days, 5 more days, 5 more days!!!

I close one week from today - it is very bittersweet. I'm feeling lots of mixed emotions - I love these children dearly, and they will be missed! I start my new RN job on Friday! My DH thinks I'm nuts for not taking some time off first, but we need the $$! And I am excited! And nervous! Worried about how my kids will adjust. The hours are great - 4 days/week, 8a-3p. But I'm still so very nervous and mixed with emotions. Been awhile since I've used my brain, ya know? And also since I've worked with other adults, and needed to look presentable to leave the house in the morning.

Hope you all are having a great day!
Woo-hoo! So exciting!!

We are now pushing for Aug 2nd close date (giving notice that day, really)--I'm trying to convince dh that my families will have a hard time finding care in Sept with back to school.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM
lolaland's Avatar
lolaland lolaland is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindysmiles View Post


What are your plans post daycare, Bunnyslippers? Lolaland, what is new and exciting your way? What are your summer plans??

5 more days, 5 more days, 5 more days!!!

I close one week from today - it is very bittersweet. I'm feeling lots of mixed emotions - I love these children dearly, and they will be missed! I start my new RN job on Friday! My DH thinks I'm nuts for not taking some time off first, but we need the $$! And I am excited! And nervous! Worried about how my kids will adjust. The hours are great - 4 days/week, 8a-3p. But I'm still so very nervous and mixed with emotions. Been awhile since I've used my brain, ya know? And also since I've worked with other adults, and needed to look presentable to leave the house in the morning.

Hope you all are having a great day!

Wow!!! 5 More days!!!!

Me... I'm still enjoying vacation

My daughter has been in school for 3 years... and because of my daycare I could never volunteer or go to any school events, field days or field trips. It was always with some concerns and great sadness that I would read the school notes with dates of upcoming events/trips.

BUT...tomorrow I'm going to my daughter's School Field day!! YAAYYY!!

And in June I'm going as a chaperone in a field trip to Milton MA!!! YYYUUUUPPIII!!!

I am so exited!! ...more than my daughter and any other kid that will be in that bus tomorrow. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM
bunnyslippers's Avatar
bunnyslippers bunnyslippers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 981
Default

I am going back to teaching in a public school (going through the interview process right now). I was an Autism Specialist and Integrated Preschool Teacher before I started daycare five years ago. My oldest is in first grade, and my youngest is ready for preschool. I am so ready to wear shoes again, care about my clothes, use my brain, have live colleagues and support, and to have someone else (principals and supervisors) be the one to put out the fires. I can't wait to have sick days again, where I just have to call ONE person to tell them I am staying home. I seriously can't wait to have my home back to just being my home again!!!!

I have the summer off, so when I close down in June, I will have 10 weeks of chill out time with my own kids. I always close for the summer, but this summer will be extra great!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
lindysmiles's Avatar
lindysmiles lindysmiles is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41
Default

WOOHOO!!!

Congratulations to you all! Sounds amazing, and I am so excited for all of you!

Happy Summer, all!!!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM
bunnyslippers's Avatar
bunnyslippers bunnyslippers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 981
Default

I am going back to my old teaching life in public school (I hope). My youngest is ready for preschool, so I am looking forward to a change up. I am very excited, but the logistics are tricky. I am so thankful I had these years home, and it has been a great blessing for my whole family...but now, it is time to start fresh! Can't wait ~ I can wear shoes again!!!!! Yippee!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM
jenny31052's Avatar
jenny31052 jenny31052 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 87
Default

Me. Monday is going to be the very last day - one kid left. I downsized since July of last year.

I'm scared at the same time, because we will have to do a new budget plan, but I'm so happy on the other hand.
I was not enjoying it anymore - I hated being prisoner in my own house, not being able to go to appointments, run errands at decent hours, and not at 9pm - I was tired of waiting, waiting for kids to be dropped off, picked up, waiting for late payments, dealing with parents, spoiled kids, and enforcing rules, and a few other things..

I'm looking forward to be able to take my son to the park, and library story times, the zoo, and do whatever we want to do without having to wait for the weekend...

I'm in school full time, and I have been for the past 4 years - since I started doing daycare I struggled to keep my grades up, because I can't do school work during the day, and I'm so exhausted to focus at night.

We are also a military family and I'm home alone many months out of the year, so it has become very stressful to manage everything on my own, since I don't have family close by, and I can't always delegate...
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM
sally's Avatar
sally sally is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: us
Posts: 268
Default

I started doing daycare a year ago this month and i'm looking forward to closing when my youngest starts kindergarten. She's 15 months now so I have a while to go but by then my oldest will be able to watch the youngest after school until their father or I get home. I can't wait!
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM
busymommy0420's Avatar
busymommy0420 busymommy0420 is offline
Sharkgirl0829
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 241
Default

14 more days for me...I am closing for summer. No more full time daycare anymore. I will only do before and after school care starting in the fall.
__________________
Proud Mommy of Six...
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM
lindysmiles's Avatar
lindysmiles lindysmiles is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41
Default

2 MORE DAYS!!!! 5:30 pm Thursday can't get here fast enough!!!

New job (nursing) starts Friday. Woohoo!
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Blissful Kids's Avatar
Blissful Kids Blissful Kids is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymommy0420 View Post
14 more days for me...I am closing for summer. No more full time daycare anymore. I will only do before and after school care starting in the fall.
This is what I'm hoping to do as well. Have you had any luck finding before and after care yet? Is it still just too early? Any advice for a before and after care only program? I got burned out doing daycare all day and have a little one of my own due in July, so I am wanting to take it down a notch. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Me too. I'm closing down Friday.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Me too. I'm closing down Friday.
I wish you all the best in the next chapter of your life. I am shocked that you are done, but I am happy for you. Best wishes to you in whatever path you take.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
I wish you all the best in the next chapter of your life. I am shocked that you are done, but I am happy for you. Best wishes to you in whatever path you take.
It's time
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 AM
lolaland's Avatar
lolaland lolaland is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Me too. I'm closing down Friday.
Wow! Are you serious!! I'm shocked!! From all the ladies in this forum you are the last one I expected to be doing a countdown. I'm cheering up on your countdown! I'll come to this post Friday to give you a virtual hug. Best wishes!
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 AM
lolaland's Avatar
lolaland lolaland is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindysmiles View Post
2 MORE DAYS!!!! 5:30 pm Thursday can't get here fast enough!!!

New job (nursing) starts Friday. Woohoo!
It's TODAY!!!!!!

Best wishes in your new job!!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 AM
bunnyslippers's Avatar
bunnyslippers bunnyslippers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
It's time
I am surprised, but happy for you if you think it is time to be done. What are your plans for the future? Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers View Post
I am surprised, but happy for you if you think it is time to be done. What are your plans for the future? Good luck!
I'm going to do consulting and sell off a twenty year hoard.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 AM
bunnyslippers's Avatar
bunnyslippers bunnyslippers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I'm going to do consulting and sell off a twenty year hoard.
Enjoy!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Evansmom's Avatar
Evansmom Evansmom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Congrats Nannyde!

And I have to add my countdown now! Yay! Way back at the beginning of this thread I posted about my "three year plan" but my husband and I have moved it up and now we are shooting on getting our house on the market next May and downsizing from our big 4 bedroom house and giant yard to a small rented condo or apartment!!! This will do 2 things, allow me to close my daycare and also pretty much eliminate all the work we have maintaing the house, yard etc.

It will be heaven to actually have a weekend where we do fun things together rather than errands, chores and spending all of Sunday organizing and cleaning the day care and getting ready for the week.

I'm still working on realizing our dream of a 500 sq ft house with gardens. And I'll still be offering homeschool workshops. I'll only work one day a week tho for 6 week classes and then take 6 weeks off. Ahhhhh!

Only 9 months till I close the daycare and start staging our house. After 5 1/2 years, I'm so ready!!

Last edited by Evansmom; 06-06-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: I'm a terrible typer on my iPhone.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I'm going to do consulting and sell off a twenty year hoard.
You've been working on transitioning to this for awhile now if IRC. Congratulations on successfully carving out a new niche for yourself
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I'm going to do consulting and sell off a twenty year hoard.
Good luck with some quick sales!!!

I know you will be successful at whatever you do. It is your nature.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM
lindysmiles's Avatar
lindysmiles lindysmiles is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 41
Default

Last day today! I'm sporadically crying, and then someone does something and I think of how nice it will be to have my house back. Lots of emotions, but oh so happy. It is definitely time!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM
bunnyslippers's Avatar
bunnyslippers bunnyslippers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 981
Default

Good Luck Lindysmiles. Nan, enjoy your last day, and best of luck in your new adventures. I look forward to hearing about both of your success ~

10 more days for me ~ can't WAIT!!!!! Literally counting the hours until it is done. I am not going to miss one bit of this!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM
MizzCheryl's Avatar
MizzCheryl MizzCheryl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 478
Default

To you Nan!!!
I Know you are going to do GREAT!!!
My Consults with you were most beneficial thing that I ever did for my Daycare and myself!!!
I am glad you will still be doing consults.
__________________
Not Clueless anymore
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzCheryl View Post
To you Nan!!!
I Know you are going to do GREAT!!!
My Consults with you were most beneficial thing that I ever did for my Daycare and myself!!!
I am glad you will still be doing consults.
Awww thanks
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:15 AM
jessrlee's Avatar
jessrlee jessrlee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 529
Default

Nan- What are you selling? I'm a couple of hours away and I love a good deal!
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Wow, Nan! Congratulations to you, and to everyone else.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm adding myself to it. My husband and I decided that I'm not going to do any daycare, School Agers or otherwise, in the fall. We've been having a bunch of school related issues with the children, so I'm either going to stay home and focus on that and of taking care of our baby (who will be 1 when school starts again) or, we're discussing the possibility of homeschooling.

Regardless, after next Friday, I'm DONE.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrlee View Post
Nan- What are you selling? I'm a couple of hours away and I love a good deal!
I will be selling lots on ebay and craigslist.

Here's the train collection:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/bab/3844543023.html
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
jessrlee's Avatar
jessrlee jessrlee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 529
Default

OMG.... that's a whole lotta train...
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrlee View Post
OMG.... that's a whole lotta train...
Most of my collections are like that so it's going to take a ton of work to list. It took me 14 hours to do that one. The manufacture dates are important in this sell because of the lead based paint recalls so we had to look at the wheels of every engine AND piece to get the dates. It took a day to sort the whole thing. Another day to set up, photograph, and list.

Only about 15 percent of the toy inventory isn't set pieces so it's going to be a ton of work.

Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

How are things going post-daycare for all of you? I hope it has been going well!!

I am giving my notice next week. I am nervous because this is WAY earlier than we had planned on, but it was dh's idea and I was all for it. I am super excited for the change, but I am going to miss my kids!
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMommy2 View Post
How are things going post-daycare for all of you? I hope it has been going well!!

I am giving my notice next week. I am nervous because this is WAY earlier than we had planned on, but it was dh's idea and I was all for it. I am super excited for the change, but I am going to miss my kids!
It's going okay. I spent the first 23 days remodeling my first level. That was insanely chaotic. I have never been through that before. It was SO stressful and expensive.

I started the sell off process about five days ago. I have an enormous inventory of clothing from my online ebay clothing store and I'm selling off about 60% of my daycare inventory. It's daunting but I have to do it sometime so now is the best time. I have my whole big house to myself and the space to organize the inventory. I'm having to relearn the Ebay Seller thing which is quite different from the late 2000's.

It's nice to do something different with my brain. I needed a break after twenty straight years of running shop.

The pic is just my inventory of size 5 6 7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130706_151113.jpg (121.2 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Me too. I'm closing down Friday.
I missed this. Wish you all the best!!!!!!! Congrats to you!
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 PM
cherryhill's Avatar
cherryhill cherryhill is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 164
Default I'm also closing

I will be closing at the end of August to start my student teaching. I'm nervous and excited. I will miss all the kids, but I can't wait to have my home back.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
It's going okay. I spent the first 23 days remodeling my first level. That was insanely chaotic. I have never been through that before. It was SO stressful and expensive.

I started the sell off process about five days ago. I have an enormous inventory of clothing from my online ebay clothing store and I'm selling off about 60% of my daycare inventory. It's daunting but I have to do it sometime so now is the best time. I have my whole big house to myself and the space to organize the inventory. I'm having to relearn the Ebay Seller thing which is quite different from the late 2000's.

It's nice to do something different with my brain. I needed a break after twenty straight years of running shop.

The pic is just my inventory of size 5 6 7
That is ALOT of stuff!!!
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 07-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Nan, what happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
That is ALOT of stuff!!!
Nan I'm curious and shocked. No offense,but what happened that made you decide to close this business? The economy, the kind of parents now days, the government wanting teachers instead od child care Providers?? I wish you the very best and I hope that you continue bloging here sometimes.I want to thank you.,I so much appreciate your common sense, I learned more from you than in my 13 years in this business. I am in ca and have not been able to sign up a single child in 4 months.So yeah, career change is in my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Sprouts's Avatar
Sprouts Sprouts is offline
Licensed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 801
Default

wow nanny dee congrats and i wish you the best!

You have a lot of stuff! I had to blink and count the 0's a couple of times for the train set! lol

On another note, I have 5 days remaining! Friday will be my last day then I get to do my dance! woot woot!
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 AM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nan I'm curious and shocked. No offense,but what happened that made you decide to close this business? The economy, the kind of parents now days, the government wanting teachers instead od child care Providers?? I wish you the very best and I hope that you continue bloging here sometimes.I want to thank you.,I so much appreciate your common sense, I learned more from you than in my 13 years in this business. I am in ca and have not been able to sign up a single child in 4 months.So yeah, career change is in my mind.
I want to move. We have lived here for twelve years. I have been doing child care in my home for 20 so I need a break.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

When you all closed did you give them something on paper as well as telling them verbally? I am getting nervous as I know this is going to totally shock them. I'm sure dcparents are never expecting it, but I know this is going to come out of left field.

I did put in a couple of calls to other providers that I know and have found a couple of options for each of them, so I thought I would pass that info along for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

I am getting so nervous for Friday. I'm not worried about negative reactions, I just know they will be surprised and sad.

My stomach is in knots.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMommy2 View Post
I am getting so nervous for Friday. I'm not worried about negative reactions, I just know they will be surprised and sad.

My stomach is in knots.
Let us know how it goes when you tell them!

My youngest sons are starting highschool this year- they don't need me at home anymore. I love my job lots of days but I am sooo tired! I swear I work 70 hours a week (50 in the daycare, and probably 20 cleaning and prepping) and it seems that there is NO downtime- we don't do any TV, we do a daily picture blog for the parents that takes an hour of nap time to put together, we do a full day preschool, it is just too much! I just keep imagining how nice it would be to work 40 hours a week- it would be like a part time job!

My hubby and I run ours together so we would BOTH need to go find jobs so I am not sure how feasible closing down would be- but considering it!
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 PM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Ugh, I have been waiting for this day for a while now but now that it is here, I am so nervous. I am typing up a quick letter now...

I will feel bad if they find out I am going to babysit my neighbor kids, but I have been babysitting one or two kids (same fam) since I started staying home. So it really isn't that much different. And my dh said it really isn't their business anyway.

Anyway, I hope I can sleep tonight...
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 AM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMommy2 View Post
Ugh, I have been waiting for this day for a while now but now that it is here, I am so nervous. I am typing up a quick letter now...

I will feel bad if they find out I am going to babysit my neighbor kids, but I have been babysitting one or two kids (same fam) since I started staying home. So it really isn't that much different. And my dh said it really isn't their business anyway.

Anyway, I hope I can sleep tonight...
How many week's notice are you giving them?
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 07-19-2013, 06:14 AM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyJo View Post
How many week's notice are you giving them?
4 weeks
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM
mema's Avatar
mema mema is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: It's hot, no cold, no hot :)
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMommy2 View Post
4 weeks
Good luck today!
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
I want to move. We have lived here for twelve years. I have been doing child care in my home for 20 so I need a break.
I missed this too- wow

Where are you moving or hoping to move? Taking a temp break or going to get back into it once settled?

Thank you for all the sharing you have done. I have a feeling you will still be around from time to time on the boards? I wish you the best~

Have to share your ebay store once you get set up-

Best-
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

I have been "secretly" contemplating closing down! I just put in an application at a YMCA to facilitate parent/child activities. I have 14 years experience doing this (that was just part of my job, but I still have lots of years doing it) and I hope I at least get an interview and the opportunity to decide if I want to move on!

We have put so much into starting this business but right out of the gate I knew I may not stay LONGI feel wayyyyy too isolated in this business. I need to get back into the world.

I have just ironed most the kinks of starting up this business again, should be licensed in a few weeks (finally-my state is a tough one to get through pre-licensing)

I have people waiting to get in and I have such a great bunch of parents and kids......but I really don't want to do it more than one more year.

Another factor is it just requires too many hours, meal planning, shopping, cleaning, ugh! I want my life back....to go out for lunch with friends, to my coffee group, time to exercise again.....Sigh!
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 07-19-2013, 01:29 PM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMommy2 View Post
Ugh, I have been waiting for this day for a while now but now that it is here, I am so nervous. I am typing up a quick letter now...

I will feel bad if they find out I am going to babysit my neighbor kids, but I have been babysitting one or two kids (same fam) since I started staying home. So it really isn't that much different. And my dh said it really isn't their business anyway.

Anyway, I hope I can sleep tonight...
I will be nervous when/if the time comes for me too. Hope things go well for you. I am a bit unnerved just thinking about possibly closing down.

I wish you luck!
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 PM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindysmiles View Post
Last day today! I'm sporadically crying, and then someone does something and I think of how nice it will be to have my house back. Lots of emotions, but oh so happy. It is definitely time!
Yes, there has to be lots of emotions that go with this! When I closed the first time after ten years ALL my kids were starting kindergarten and I was starting a great new job so it was really painless!

If I quit now it will be harder! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
nannyde's Avatar
nannyde nannyde is offline
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines
Posts: 7,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
I missed this too- wow

Where are you moving or hoping to move? Taking a temp break or going to get back into it once settled?

Thank you for all the sharing you have done. I have a feeling you will still be around from time to time on the boards? I wish you the best~

Have to share your ebay store once you get set up-

Best-
Aww thanks. My ebay seller id is boys-clothes

I have JUST started to sell off the clothing business. I will be listing day care items after I get thru the back to school sales.

I don't know where we will move. It depends on how we come out of the house. If the house doesn't sell I will reopen at some point. For now it's good to work on the clothing business.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

6 more work days.

I really am going to miss these kids, but will be more than happy just to run into them around town.

SO looking forward to having my house/life/time/myself back!!!!

Woo-hoo! Anyone else really close?
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 AM
MNMommy2's Avatar
MNMommy2 MNMommy2 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 120
Default

I woke up sad that is Monday today, I was all confused when the alarm went off today. Then I remembered this is my last Monday doing daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Aww thanks. My ebay seller id is boys-clothes

I have JUST started to sell off the clothing business. I will be listing day care items after I get thru the back to school sales.

I don't know where we will move. It depends on how we come out of the house. If the house doesn't sell I will reopen at some point. For now it's good to work on the clothing business.
I can't find anything searching for that seller id-
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycare71 View Post
I can't find anything searching for that seller id-
http://www.ebay.com/usr/boys-clothes
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12-11-2013, 02:06 PM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

We finally bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and close the daycare. I am just totally burnt out.

Really if I could term 1 or 2 more kids and just keep the families that will follow our policies that would be ideal but we can't pay the bills with any less children. We have been interviewing but it seems like all that is out there is babies or "my special snowflake, you will be my employee" families.

We are giving notice today- last day is dec 31st.

Not sure what to say to the parents when we give them the letter!
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Springdaze's Avatar
Springdaze Springdaze is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 526
Default

tomorrow is my last day. almost 10 years...its gonna be weird and I don't think it has hit me yet. Should I be happy? Sad? Relieved? not sure! I think I will be emotional right at the end!
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springdaze View Post
tomorrow is my last day. almost 10 years...its gonna be weird and I don't think it has hit me yet. Should I be happy? Sad? Relieved? not sure! I think I will be emotional right at the end!
Today was my first "real" day off since the daycare closed (since we would have been off NYD anyway). Still doesn't feel real to me. I did have to smile this evening when I realized that I could leave the toothpaste on the cabinet instead of putting it up on the shelf
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 01-03-2014, 06:52 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

I am going to retire this year but not sure when. I will give a month's notice but have to take care of some family things first before I can figure out the timing. I can do it as soon as a month (which I doubt) or do child care for a few more months.

My two provider friends and I are all three going to retire this year so we celebrated last night. One will do it till June and one till her house sells but she only has one child she is watching although she sometimes has grandchildren there.

I am going to keep my license current for now but probably won't renew it in August...just in case. It is just weird. I've been doing this for so many years.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Brooksie's Avatar
Brooksie Brooksie is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Posts: 1,317
Default

I gave my families notice yesterday. I'll be done on the 31st of this month!!
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 AM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
I gave my families notice yesterday. I'll be done on the 31st of this month!!
Here comes the "short-timer's" syndrome For me it was a weird mix of not caring (the the point of laughing) at my dcparent's crappy actions to tears at every cute thing my dcks did and said
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 AM
JoseyJo's Avatar
JoseyJo JoseyJo is offline
Group DCP in Kansas
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I am going to keep my license current for now but probably won't renew it in August...just in case. It is just weird. I've been doing this for so many years.

Laurel
That's what I'm doing also. My doesn't expire until Nov so I put in a leave of absence w/ the state and if I don't go back to daycare I will just let it expire.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyJo View Post
That's what I'm doing also. My doesn't expire until Nov so I put in a leave of absence w/ the state and if I don't go back to daycare I will just let it expire.
Hmmm, I wonder if we can do a leave of absence. I'll have to check on that.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM
providerandmomof4's Avatar
providerandmomof4 providerandmomof4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 355
Default

I have decided after four short years to close at the end of the month when my license expires. I feel a little bad because I feel like the families that I have now would stick with me until their kids went to school. (years!) But, mostly, I just feel relief. I have been so stressed out with my own family, and grown kids, that I feel like I've totally lost sight of why I started doing daycare in the first place. I just want to go to a job....and come home...and not have to discipline, change, feed, clean up after....children that aren't my own. I haven't decided where I will go to work but the thought of doing something different makes me feel so happy that it has to be the right choice.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4 View Post
I have decided after four short years to close at the end of the month when my license expires. I feel a little bad because I feel like the families that I have now would stick with me until their kids went to school. (years!) But, mostly, I just feel relief. I have been so stressed out with my own family, and grown kids, that I feel like I've totally lost sight of why I started doing daycare in the first place. I just want to go to a job....and come home...and not have to discipline, change, feed, clean up after....children that aren't my own. I haven't decided where I will go to work but the thought of doing something different makes me feel so happy that it has to be the right choice.
It sounds like the right choice for you. Good luck!

I have chosen a retirement date of June 6 as that is when my license is due to be renewed and it is the last day of school here and I have a teacher's child so it will be a good day to retire. (how was that for a run on sentence? )Haven't told parents yet.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Naptime yet?'s Avatar
Naptime yet? Naptime yet? is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 444
Default

I'm thinking that when my youngest is off to kindy next year, I'm done. I don't hate this job, but it's draining me and I feel like I'm constantly stressing about something. Plus with what's called EXCELS probably being mandated here next year...

But we'll see. Some days, knowing that I only have a year & a half, keeps me going.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
It sounds like the right choice for you. Good luck!

I have chosen a retirement date of June 6 as that is when my license is due to be renewed and it is the last day of school here and I have a teacher's child so it will be a good day to retire. (how was that for a run on sentence? )Haven't told parents yet.

Laurel
I'll be sad! I feel like I've known you for years! (counting when I started out at Punky's ) But good for you! Will you still watch your grand kids on occasion?
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 03-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Care View Post
I'll be sad! I feel like I've known you for years! (counting when I started out at Punky's ) But good for you! Will you still watch your grand kids on occasion?
Awww, that is so sweet. Thank you! Yes, I feel like I've known you for years too!

So far I plan to watch my grandson two days a week still. He is three so my daughter is planning to put him in a Montessori preschool 3 days a week. But now on the two days I watch him I can do things I couldn't do while I was watching others. I never transported but now my grandson and I can go out in the community and do things. He also doesn't have to share his grandma.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Logged out for privacy on this one. I was in the planning stages of ending my home daycare career. 25+ years. I was looking forward to maybe doing something part time outside of the home. My current part time assistant is my 25 year old single daughter. She is a nanny on the other days. She was planning on moving back home in August when her current lease on her apartment is over. Finances are really tight for her and student loans are killing her. She has recently informed me that I am going to be a grandmother. Ugh. Now there is no way for me to stop now. She needs this job so she can spend as much time with the baby as she can. And even if she were able to find another job, she wouldn't be able to afford child care. I am tired.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Msdunny's Avatar
Msdunny Msdunny is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4 View Post
I have decided after four short years to close at the end of the month when my license expires. I feel a little bad because I feel like the families that I have now would stick with me until their kids went to school. (years!) But, mostly, I just feel relief. I have been so stressed out with my own family, and grown kids, that I feel like I've totally lost sight of why I started doing daycare in the first place. I just want to go to a job....and come home...and not have to discipline, change, feed, clean up after....children that aren't my own. I haven't decided where I will go to work but the thought of doing something different makes me feel so happy that it has to be the right choice.

This is me, almost to a 't', but I did put in my application with our local school system over the weekend. If I an get an Assistant or support staff position, I will be closing this summer.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

I'll be closing at the end of May. I'm still going to have my nephews, though, since I can operate unlicensed with related children. I may reapply later in the year, but for now I'm just done.

I think I'm going to self publish a novel... I've always loved writing.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
I'll be closing at the end of May. I'm still going to have my nephews, though, since I can operate unlicensed with related children. I may reapply later in the year, but for now I'm just done.

I think I'm going to self publish a novel... I've always loved writing.
Wait..... weren't you just applying for a group license?

Now you are quitting????
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 AM
craftymissbeth's Avatar
craftymissbeth craftymissbeth is offline
Legally Unlicensed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Wait..... weren't you just applying for a group license?

Now you are quitting????
Yeah my licensor and the state are sticking to their story... I either have to hire an assistant or get rid of all children younger than 2 1/2 which would be two out of my three dck's. Neither works for me so it's time to move on.

Apparently just keeping my regular license isn't an option for some reason.

I might reapply for a license at some point in the future, but for now I'm just done with the people in this town.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
Yeah my licensor and the state are sticking to their story... I either have to hire an assistant or get rid of all children younger than 2 1/2 which would be two out of my three dck's. Neither works for me so it's time to move on.

Apparently just keeping my regular license isn't an option for some reason.

I might reapply for a license at some point in the future, but for now I'm just done with the people in this town.
Aw, I'm sorry.

Hoping new opportunities arise from this.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

I am retiring on June 6th. Probably will be watching 2 grandchildren till school starts in September though. Not sure about that though.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 05-27-2015, 03:56 PM
mrsp'slilpeeps's Avatar
mrsp'slilpeeps mrsp'slilpeeps is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sitting in a snow drift in Southern Alberta
Posts: 606
Default

Well the decision has been made. I will be closing my day home August 31, 2015.

It has been a very hard year for me, and I can honestly say that my heart truly isn't in it any more.

I have applied to go back to school, to train as a hospital unit clerk and I can start studying any time. Some of it is online and some of it is in the class room.

I have 48 Days (not including the weekends!!) left to go.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
closing daycare, countdown, last day, terminate - closing, terminate - entire daycare

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Many Forum Members Does It Take... QualiTcare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 65 12-13-2013 09:03 AM
New to Forum arlenecram New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 1 11-10-2012 07:34 AM
New to this Forum Coco New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 3 05-28-2012 04:35 PM
New Forum Members Start Here Michael New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 0 06-05-2011 03:12 PM
Forum Member Avatar Michael Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 01-06-2010 06:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming