Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do With After Schoolers?
Christina72684 01:43 PM 01-13-2014
I have the following kids:

7 preschoolers (6 are girls) most are 3 years old
2 1st grader boys
1 2nd grader boy
1 4th grader boy

Things are fairly calm until 2:45pm and then it's a mad house! They run around like crazy, always wanting to go outside (right now there's mud everywhere right now!), and so ruff with each other. One of the 1st graders and the 4th grader are brothers and wrestle or pick on each other the majority of the time. They don't want to do arts and crafts, don't want to play with any of the many toys we have. Right now they are playing Hide and Go Seek and I'm about to pull my hair out! We're in a 24x30 room with tile floors so everything echoes. June can't come soon enough!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Heidi 04:14 PM 01-13-2014
No, but I will be lurking here for ideas.

I just interviewed a mom with FOUR kids...1,3,5, and 7. The littles were adorable, but I'm not so sure the 5 year old boy (who would be here one full day a week around k-4). How am I going to keep a rambunctious 5 year old boy busy a whole day?

While here, he had a fit about cleaning up and also didn't want to leave. Not a good sign. The others were charming. The 1 yo would be 3 days per week, the 3 yo 3 days every other week, the 5 yo after school 2 days every other week and one full day, the 7 year old 3 days after school. Oh, and then there's no-school days.

I'd take the little ones in a heart beat, but I'm not so sure about the SA"s.
AfterSchoolMom 07:03 PM 01-13-2014
I say go outside anyway, mud be darned. They've been cooped up in school all day and need a physical outlet. I used to have my SA's sit and do homework right after school and had a ton of issues. When I flip flopped the schedule, it worked out much better.

I know it's asking a lot, but can the parents provide rain/mud boots?
Play Care 03:10 AM 01-14-2014
Thankfully in my state SA kids can be outside without me, per regs. My SA schedule goes like this:
2:45 arrival. Hang coats, put backpacks in the designated spot and shoes/boots NEATLY on the mat (and I call them back several times if need be ) WASH HANDS and have snack. They can chose not to have snack, but this will be the only time I offer. Once snack time is over the kitchen is CLOSED.
3:00 OUTSIDE. I don't care how muddy, wet, snowy, etc. it is. All parents know that we are going out and they had better provide the proper equipment. Kids who don't have the proper gear still go out but are limited to the areas of pavement. This is where I will send them out, even if it's not a good time for the littles. I watch closely from the windows and follow all regs concerning SA outdoor time. Weather permitting they are out for at least an hour - early fall, summer and late spring they will be outside until closing.
Winter or inclement weather they come in around 3:30
3:30-4:00 board games, Legos, etc.
4-close homework/study. They can start homework, read a book, etc. Kids who have a hard time remembering it's settle down time get put up at the table with an activity of my choosing until their parents arrive.
daycarediva 04:03 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Thankfully in my state SA kids can be outside without me, per regs. My SA schedule goes like this:
2:45 arrival. Hang coats, put backpacks in the designated spot and shoes/boots NEATLY on the mat (and I call them back several times if need be ) WASH HANDS and have snack. They can chose not to have snack, but this will be the only time I offer. Once snack time is over the kitchen is CLOSED.
3:00 OUTSIDE. I don't care how muddy, wet, snowy, etc. it is. All parents know that we are going out and they had better provide the proper equipment. Kids who don't have the proper gear still go out but are limited to the areas of pavement. This is where I will send them out, even if it's not a good time for the littles. I watch closely from the windows and follow all regs concerning SA outdoor time. Weather permitting they are out for at least an hour - early fall, summer and late spring they will be outside until closing.
Winter or inclement weather they come in around 3:30
3:30-4:00 board games, Legos, etc.
4-close homework/study. They can start homework, read a book, etc. Kids who have a hard time remembering it's settle down time get put up at the table with an activity of my choosing until their parents arrive.
Yup. OUTSIDE! This is how I handle my 1 sa dcb and my own 2 younger SA boys. GO PLAY OUTSIDE. Mine don't arrive until 3:30 though, so my schedule is:

3:30-4 wash hands, potty, snack
4-5 outside
5-5:30 homework, quiet activities like Legos until P/U (and dinner for my boys)
melskids 04:12 AM 01-14-2014
Yup, outside.

They've been cooped up all day, half the time with no outdoor recess...and it's a 45 minute bus ride home.

They NEED to go outside.
Heidi 06:24 AM 01-14-2014
But, what about non-school days?

From what I saw yesterday, this little guy is not one that could be trusted outside alone, either. Just my radar, but I think I'd have issues with him. I think I'm going to pass on this family. 4 kids from one family, half my group, not going to work.
nannyde 06:42 AM 01-14-2014
have them go to someone else's day care.

I can't stand school aged kids. Annoying and they bore me. Nothing personal. When mine was age five to eleven he drove me insane too. I sent him to child care after school and in the summer. Now that he's 13 he's WAY more fun to have around. He's an asset to the Abbey now.

That age group is just not for me. I don't even want the ones I raised who are stellar little mooks.
Play Care 06:43 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
But, what about non-school days?

From what I saw yesterday, this little guy is not one that could be trusted outside alone, either. Just my radar, but I think I'd have issues with him. I think I'm going to pass on this family. 4 kids from one family, half my group, not going to work.
Oh yeah, not being able to be outside without me is a deal breaker. I am very selective about the SA kids I take because of that, I'm also very clear about what's allowed and what isn't, and kids who are not following directions comes in and sit out. But also that is too many kids from one family.

But to answer the first question, on random non school days we have a lazy day - board games, Legos, lots of outdoor time, etc. during quiet time the schedule is SSR (silent sustained reading) for a 1/2 hour - 45 minutes (I love local library because I take out tons of books and rotate frequently) then, provided they have had a good day, they earn electronic time. I have parents sign off stating they understand I'm not responsible for lost or broken devices from home. I do have a computer for SA use that has educational games on it that they enjoy as well. I get the SA kids their snack and send them outside while I wake the littles and get them snack. Then we join them outside. During the summers I sign the kids up for all the camps and lessons I can - and I transport.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
have them go to someone else's day care.

I can't stand school aged kids. Annoying and they bore me. Nothing personal. When mine was age five to eleven he drove me insane too. I sent him to child care after school and in the summer. Now that he's 13 he's WAY more fun to have around. He's an asset to the Abbey now.

That age group is just not for me. I don't even want the ones I raised who are stellar little mooks.
Same here.

Everytime I read the OP's thread title "What do you do with SA kids?" my mind keeps saying "Wave to them as they ride by on the buses."

I do NOT enjoy that age either. Even the ones I "raised".

I have a past family call and ask about drop in days every time there is no school. I took them once. That was MORE than enough to realize, it isn't the kids...it's the age. Bleh!
Annalee 07:11 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here.

Everytime I read the OP's thread title "What do you do with SA kids?" my mind keeps saying "Wave to them as they ride by on the buses."

I have a past family call and ask about drop in days every time there is no school. I took them once. That was MORE than enough to realize, it isn't the kids...it's the age. Bleh!
I only have my own two school-agers but they do their own thing in their own rooms....
Play Care 09:17 AM 01-14-2014
Same here.

I wish! I can only have 5 or 6 FT kids depending on if I have any children under 2, but can always have 2 SA kids. If I could have 7 or 8 FT, then I could consider not doing SA care. I do like my young SA kids though, but warn parents that after first grade they outgrow my care.
daycarediva 09:29 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I wish! I can only have 5 or 6 FT kids depending on if I have any children under 2, but can always have 2 SA kids. If I could have 7 or 8 FT, then I could consider not doing SA care. I do like my young SA kids though, but warn parents that after first grade they outgrow my care.
Ita. I think our regs are strict. I have had a 5 year old SA child who was WAY more work than a 2yo.

My current SA is being aged out in fall (one more summer!) because he turns 8. After 2nd grade seems to be my cut off. I am taking on one more SA when he ages out, and that is also when my 4.5 yo dcg who will be going to K in fall (and I would seriously miss her!)

My SA dcb is friends with my two younger boys. On days off of school (random like snow days or here and there like MLK day) they just do as they please. They can play pretend for HOURS, and I just do the physical checks that our state requires. They can watch a movie or SA dcb brings a Nintendo ds for nap. I never hear a peep.

In summer, we are outside sooo often that it isn't much of an issue. I allow them to play on the 'big' playground and keep the small kids on the little one (next to each other). That sort of thing. Our city also has a ton of activities at our local park and I enroll them in those. $5 tye dye tshirts, etc. and then the littles play while we wait for the SA.
christine19720 09:29 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I have the following kids:

7 preschoolers (6 are girls) most are 3 years old
2 1st grader boys
1 2nd grader boy
1 4th grader boy

Things are fairly calm until 2:45pm and then it's a mad house! They run around like crazy, always wanting to go outside (right now there's mud everywhere right now!), and so ruff with each other. One of the 1st graders and the 4th grader are brothers and wrestle or pick on each other the majority of the time. They don't want to do arts and crafts, don't want to play with any of the many toys we have. Right now they are playing Hide and Go Seek and I'm about to pull my hair out! We're in a 24x30 room with tile floors so everything echoes. June can't come soon enough!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Homework
reading
board
games
Practice writing by keeping a journal in a notebook I provide
Outside time if the weather isn't nasty
puzzles
And, a behavior rule chart of what is expected posted for all to see that we refer to when they appear to be out of control

I did just before and after school childcare for many years
Soccermom 10:00 AM 01-14-2014
I have a calendar for them in the entranceway and plan activities for the week. They look forward to the different themes and games.

I have taken in some littles this year but did only SA for a long time and my schedule went a little like this -

Preschool age - Arrival 12h00pm Lunch
12h30pm Rest period (Movie, books, puzzles...)
1h30pm Free play
2h00pm Grade schoolers arrive
2h15pm Planned activity
2h45pm Snack
3h00pm Older SA arrive and have snack
Younger kids get dressed for outdoor play
3h15pm Older kids get ready for outdoor play
4h00pm Inside - Homework club for older SA
and free play for younger kids.
4h30pm Clean up
4h45pm TV time while waiting for pick up
5h15 Closed

Here are a few tips for free play -

Have toys that are age appropriate for the group you have and rotate them often. (Legos, coloring books and crayons, little cars with ramps, dress up is great for this age too, little houses with little figurines, craft box for crafting, beads for necklace making, barbies and polly pockets, handheld games for the boys, playdough and toys to go with it, train tracks......)

I have a train table that I set up with different things each week. This week is dinosaurs. I have some homemade trees, rocks, a little pretend pond and tons of dino figurines ($ store).....the kids love it. I have done farm animals, bugs, trains, smurfs, polly pockets....they have all gone over well.

Planned activities are always usually crafts I find on Pinterest on in books, cooking activities, coloring pages, sometimes a board game, movies....etc.

Also I have parents bring splash pants and boots for muddy conditions. Kids need to get out, especially at this age. Otherwise they will be completely wound up and out of control. I send them out even when it is raining a little. They need to get out and explore and it is the parents responsibility to make sure they are dressed for the elements. I have a laundry basket in the entry and they throw all their wet mittens, splash pants, or whatever in there. I either wash them that night or just dry them if they are only wet.

You can PM if you have any other questions. I have a lot of experience with this age group.
Annalee 10:39 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Ita. I think our regs are strict. I have had a 5 year old SA child who was WAY more work than a 2yo.

My current SA is being aged out in fall (one more summer!) because he turns 8. After 2nd grade seems to be my cut off. I am taking on one more SA when he ages out, and that is also when my 4.5 yo dcg who will be going to K in fall (and I would seriously miss her!)

My SA dcb is friends with my two younger boys. On days off of school (random like snow days or here and there like MLK day) they just do as they please. They can play pretend for HOURS, and I just do the physical checks that our state requires. They can watch a movie or SA dcb brings a Nintendo ds for nap. I never hear a peep.

In summer, we are outside sooo often that it isn't much of an issue. I allow them to play on the 'big' playground and keep the small kids on the little one (next to each other). That sort of thing. Our city also has a ton of activities at our local park and I enroll them in those. $5 tye dye tshirts, etc. and then the littles play while we wait for the SA.
I am allowed to keep SA till they are 12, but I do not because that is another book I will be assessed by annually. The assessor would leave at nap and come back when SA arrived for another couple hours....absolutely NO schoolagers for me!!!!! QRIS wreaks havoc around here!
Heidi 11:10 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I am allowed to keep SA till they are 12, but I do not because that is another book I will be assessed by annually. The assessor would leave at nap and come back when SA arrived for another couple hours....absolutely NO schoolagers for me!!!!! QRIS wreaks havoc around here!
No kidding! They have a completely different set of standards for SA"s here, and we are supposed to do assessments, goal setting, and a curriculum for them, too! What the heck do they go to school for?

I am a proud 3-star program. I will do what I have to in order to stay 3-star. No more. If I were a 4 star, I'd get $10 more per week. Ah, no!
Annalee 11:21 AM 01-14-2014
No kidding! They have a completely different set of standards for SA"s here, and we are supposed to do assessments, goal setting, and a curriculum for them, too! What the heck do they go to school for?

I am a proud 3-star program. I will do what I have to in order to stay 3-star. No more. If I were a 4 star, I'd get $10 more per week. Ah, no!
I am three stars which is as high as we can go, but we do not get more pay except through subsidy care clients which I have none.....
Childminder 11:30 AM 01-14-2014
Hang them from a tree and use them as a pinata!

I bought "mud" pants and send them out. In winter they are in snow clothes. I'm all girl SA's right now and all they want is to fight verbally, loudly. OUT I tell you the littles are sleeping.
Heidi 11:52 AM 01-14-2014
I am three stars which is as high as we can go, but we do not get more pay except through subsidy care clients which I have none.....
Yeah, the $10 raise is just for subsidy, too. It's actually $10, so at the max rate for our area, it's closer to $14, I guess. It's 20% for 5 stars.

I have one subsidized kiddo. Oh, and I charge what I charge...the parent pays the difference anyway.
Annalee 11:59 AM 01-14-2014
Yeah, the $10 raise is just for subsidy, too. It's actually $10, so at the max rate for our area, it's closer to $14, I guess. It's 20% for 5 stars.

I have one subsidized kiddo. Oh, and I charge what I charge...the parent pays the difference anyway.
Good for you in making parents pay. I tell clients that when you are self-employed you have to create your own benefits....it is part of the business. Not in a harsh way, but rewards/benefits are earned when working for someone else but self-employment is different. I feel we more than "earn" our pay through quality/dependable care....There is NO pretense in my business...the contract/policy/handbook spells it out before a child enrolls.... I do love my job!!!!
KDC 12:06 PM 01-14-2014
We have a ping pong/air hockey table, My 3rd grader loves the Percy Jackson Books... and 2 of the books have been turned into movies. They finished the first book Lightening Thief, so we can have a movie party. My SA's are into board games (Monopoly, Apples to Apples - although they all have to read, so might be hard with first graders that haven't mastered some of the words yet). Electronic battleship. I have an ipad they can earn time for with many educational games, but since it's not mine craft they usually give it up pretty quick . I've had luck with how to draw books... I find it's harder when I only have an odd number of SA's as well. Some of the girls are fine with helping me with the littles, crafts, rainbow loom, and drawing.

As for outside, do you have bikes/helmets for these children, or do they bring their own from home? What do they 'play' outside? I have a sand box, playset with a slide and three swings, but find they are 'bored' with that and want to ride their electric scooters, or bikes or play video games. My son is in third grade and I do allow video games with DCK's... only play dates after I close.
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 01-14-2014
In my state if you get 4 stars (the max) you get 20% more than what the subsidy normally pays out. Which I don't see as an incentive because we (providers) can charge whatever amount we chose to and are allowed to charge families the difference so if I got 20% more reimbursement, the only person it benefits is the family on assistance...kwim?

I'm currently struggling to stay under 4 stars. I'll get 4 stars later, but right now it's more beneficial for me to be at 3.

Also in my state SA have their own category so not taking them or taking them has NO bearing on the number of kids I can have under SA.
Heidi 12:40 PM 01-14-2014
In my state if you get 4 stars (the max) you get 20% more than what the subsidy normally pays out. Which I don't see as an incentive because we (providers) can charge whatever amount we chose to and are allowed to charge families the difference so if I got 20% more reimbursement, the only person it benefits is the family on assistance...kwim?

I'm currently struggling to stay under 4 stars. I'll get 4 stars later, but right now it's more beneficial for me to be at 3.

Also in my state SA have their own category so not taking them or taking them has NO bearing on the number of kids I can have under SA.
Same here.

In order to get 4 or 5 stars here, we have to have a separate observation by a formal rater; who then uses the FCCER's to score your program. They come with a stop watch and measuring tape. They measure how long children wait for meals, how deep your "fall zone" under any play equipment is, whether or not you followed their version of diapering procedures, if anyone touched the dog and the provider didn't catch it to make sure they immediately washed their hands, and a lot more.

I already have enough "Points" to be a 5 star! But, because I won't do the formal rating and I am 9 credits short of my degree yet, I am staying a 3. I don't want the formal rating and I've been carrying 6-12 credits a semester for 2 years. I'm just done with it.
Memc2001 02:53 PM 01-14-2014
AS long as it isn't horrid out, they go outside. In a 485 sq foot room, there just isn't enough of it to go around. If they have to be inside I try to get everyone seated and feed them fruit and pretzels as long as possible.
To be honest, it's been such a challenge and hassle over the years that I have eliminated almost all of my after schoolers. The only ones I have left are 2 and they are both okay to go inside the house and play with my daughters in their rooms so it's not such a big deal now.
I would love to do more after school stuff if I had a separate space for them indoors to set up study areas and video game stuff.
Heidi 04:03 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Memc2001:
AS long as it isn't horrid out, they go outside. In a 485 sq foot room, there just isn't enough of it to go around. If they have to be inside I try to get everyone seated and feed them fruit and pretzels as long as possible.
To be honest, it's been such a challenge and hassle over the years that I have eliminated almost all of my after schoolers. The only ones I have left are 2 and they are both okay to go inside the house and play with my daughters in their rooms so it's not such a big deal now.
I would love to do more after school stuff if I had a separate space for them indoors to set up study areas and video game stuff.
My sister has AS's too, and they are a couple little girls the same age as her daughter. They do the same thing...go play in her room. Bickering, which happens occasionally, means you're in the little kid's daycare room. It really limits the bickering, I think.
Tags:after school
Reply Up