Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Book Availability
Miss A 05:13 AM 12-06-2017
My group is all young toddlers or babies. The oldest will be 2 at the end of this month, the youngest is 8 months. Out of all the kids, 1 17 month old boy is destroying our books like crazy. Paperback books? Rips them apart. Board books? Eats them.

I was wondering if those of you with a young group allow access to books at all times, or only at certain times during the day? I am so tired of losing books to this guy!
storybookending 06:06 AM 12-06-2017
I usually have access at all times but currently they are stored on a shelf in a closet that they must ask for because of reasons you mentioned. My little just a little younger than you describe was doing a number on them. He wasn’t ripping them but eating them SO bad that I had to remove them from the playroom. We assumed teething as he hadn’t popped any molars yet. Mom texted this weekend and said she knew at least one had popped but I haven’t taken the time to look myself as he is always on the move.

I did that Pinterest project with rain gutter shelves and I love them. Hoping we can get the books back out soon.
CeriBear 06:10 AM 12-06-2017
I divide my books up into two categories— available to the kiddos at all times and teacher only books. I put sturdy books and books that I don’t care if they get torn on a shelf that the kids can access and these are available at all times. My books that I use for storytimes or paperback picture books I keep on a shelf out of reach. I have several kids who treat books well and at times I will let them look at one of my storytime books. I just don’t keep these out where the kids can get hold of them because I have some who are very rough with my books.
midaycare 06:24 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
I divide my books up into two categories— available to the kiddos at all times and teacher only books. I put sturdy books and books that I don’t care if they get torn on a shelf that the kids can access and these are available at all times. My books that I use for storytimes or paperback picture books I keep on a shelf out of reach. I have several kids who treat books well and at times I will let them look at one of my storytime books. I just don’t keep these out where the kids can get hold of them because I have some who are very rough with my books.
This is my method also. I have an enormous library. I buy tons of flea market and used book store books. Then those books are allowed to have kid access. My nicer books are where they can't reach them.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 12-06-2017
I have rain gutter book shelves in both the infant/toddler room and the preschool room.

In each room, there are books available at all times and some not available without supervision.

In the infant/toddler room, ALL books are board books or those that are not tearable.

Oh and if I have one child that destroys book (eats or rips them) then that child is assigned a buddy when for looking at books but is not allowed to have access to them on their own until they've proven they are capable of managing with out destroying them.
Jupadia 06:30 AM 12-06-2017
I have a small stack of Dollar store / garage sale hard board books for the kids at all times. That way its not to bad on the pocket book to replace. I've also have a stack of both hard and soft the kids can have at big table if they ask (generally 3+). Other then that I have a bunch in my kids room I'll bring down at circle time to read but kids can't use (including my own unless it's not daycare time). Those are mostly from my husband's childhood or gifts to my kids.
storybookending 06:53 AM 12-06-2017
Oh I should also mention I only buy books second hand. Never new. This seems to also be one item my families have a lot of and have received a few boxes via donation from families.

My rain gutter shelves are stacked 4 tier and not one of my kids can reach the 4th shelf. The 3 year olds are the only ones that can reach shelf 3. If I find or am given a really nice book in great condition it might become a shelf 4 book, meaning they have to ask for it if they want it. I also put books they fight over (changes all the time with interests, was the Minnie Mouse books before the eating incident started) on this shelf so I know which child had it first.
Miss A 07:09 AM 12-06-2017
Most all of my books are 10 cent books from the local thrift store, so I am not out a lot of money, it is just frustrating that the same child continues to destroy them. We have talked about using nice hands, not putting them in mouthes, etc. Yesterday he finally lost book priviledges and I turned the shelf to the wall. I just feel bad not having constant access to books for all, but maybe eliminating the problem then reintroducing them in little bit will help curb the problem.
Baby Beluga 08:13 AM 12-06-2017
I too divide my books in two categories - books that children have access to all day and "my" books that they do not have access to.

I also use "book tape" to tape the ones the children have access to. It helps prolong the life of the books and protect them against ripping/eating.
Pestle 09:57 AM 12-06-2017
I don't feel guilty at all about removing all the books when there's a child who damages them. A love of books can't be cultivated when the kids are allowed to treat them like garbage.

I provide chew toys and do crafts that involve tearing tissue paper, but I don't think that really helps; you just have to wait it out. I have a gate dividing my playroom down the middle, so I can keep destructive kids away from the books if I want to. Usually, though, I just say "Oh, no! So sad," and put all the books up out of reach, bringing down one at a time to read to the kids and to demonstrate how to properly handle them.
Lissa Kristine 06:35 PM 12-06-2017
It's definitely important to have "book time" with all of the kids even if it's only under direct supervision. Otherwise, they'll never learn how to care for books.

"Bath books" from the dollar store are great for little ones who 'eat' books. You can also get books like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Indestructibl.../dp/0761168818. That way, you don't have to worry while you 'train' the kids to treat the books nicely.

If a child- especially an older one- DOES rip a book, remove it. Make up a basket with a little red cross on it to put the ripped books in- like it's your 'Book Hospital.' Explain that the book has to go to the book hospital so it can get better. We need to use our nice hands when reading so we don't hurt our books.
HappyEverAfter 07:29 PM 12-06-2017
My kids are all under 2. I have tons of board books available anytime to my mobile infants and toddlers. I do occasionally have to stop one of them from chewing on a board book but for the most part they've got a good understanding that we do not put books in our mouths. Before they were at that point, I used to keep the board books out but constantly watched so I could correct and stop any book to mouth action. There was a lot of no, no, no in the beginning but they have learned. Only one book was ever ruined and that was more from slobber than teeth. For non mobile infants I have several soft books that are fabric. My paperback books are locked away until the kids get older. I trust them not to chew too much but pages getting torn out is a whole other game.
CeriBear 04:10 AM 12-07-2017
I think a “ book hospital” is a great idea.
Tags:book suggestions, books - age appropriate
Reply Up