Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter to Parents
mbullette 07:18 AM 08-01-2012
I wanted to know if anyone has written a letter to parents letting them know they will no longer be taking School aged kids? If so, what did you put in the letter? Should I state in there why I decided to not watch them anymore or just leave it simple?

This is what I came up with so please let me know how it sounds.

Dear Parents
Effective September 1, 2012, I will no longer off care to school aged kids. This means I will not offer care on day's they have off of school, Holiday breaks and I will not offer summer care.
I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but I have decided to only watch kids under the age of 5.

Please let me know what you think!!
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 08-01-2012
I stopped taking SA kids a few years ago and wrote almost the exact same letter. I would however, leave out the part about deciding to watch kids under 5 only as that doesn't matter since the point is you aren't taking SA anymore.

"Dear Parents

As of September 1, 2012, I will no longer provide care to school age children.

This includes, before and after school care, no school days and summer and holiday breaks.

Thank you,

Provider"

Truly Scrumptious 07:31 AM 08-01-2012
Blackcat's letter is good. I would make the statement "this includes" instead of "this means". Sounds a little less harsh.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
Blackcat's letter is good. I would make the statement "this includes" instead of "this means". Sounds a little less harsh.
I am waaaay too used to being blunt.

Sometimes I need to be reminded I am actually dealing with humans.
juliebug 07:36 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have the same blunt problem
Truly Scrumptious 08:02 AM 08-01-2012

No...your letter wasn't ugly at all...You did say "This includes before and after school care, holidays...."
I think that sounds better than to say "This means".
As a parent, if I read "This includes", that just sounds like a reminder list...If I read "and this means"...It would make me feel a little bit like the provider thought I was stupid and couldn't figure it out on my own.
No offense to you mbullette....I know you were playing around with words to use for your letter and that's why you asked the forum for advice.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
No...your letter wasn't ugly at all...You did say "This includes before and after school care, holidays...."
I think that sounds better than to say "This means".
As a parent, if I read "This includes", that just sounds like a reminder list...If I read "and this means"...It would make me feel a little bit like the provider thought I was stupid and couldn't figure it out on my own. No offense to you mbullette....I know you were playing around with words to use for your letter and that's why you asked the forum for advice.
A little off topic, but when I worked for Head Start, we were actually told on a regular basis to treat ALL families as if they have no more than an 8th grade education.

Mind you that was 20 years ago and why I no longer work there but
Truly Scrumptious 08:25 AM 08-01-2012
A little off topic, but when I worked for Head Start, we were actually told on a regular basis to treat ALL families as if they have no more than an 8th grade education.

Mind you that was 20 years ago and why I no longer work there but
Wow...8th grade...I usually treat mine like they're 2! That's why things are repeated over and over again in my contract and policies.

It's like- it states in my contract that I get paid 52 weeks a year...but several times throughout the contract (like when it lists holidays or vacation) I remind parents that payment is still due.
I've learned that parents are real good at playing dumb.
mbullette 08:29 AM 08-01-2012
Black cat- Did you print the letter off or just e-mail it to the families? I am trying to figure out what is best. Some families dont check their e-mail that often and 2 of my families that is the only way they communicate with me. I have some really different families I work with.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by mbullette:
Black cat- Did you print the letter off or just e-mail it to the families? I am trying to figure out what is best. Some families dont check their e-mail that often and 2 of my families that is the only way they communicate with me. I have some really different families I work with.
Both. That way I know for a fact they received it. I also posted it on the parent bulletin board.

The e-mailed letter asked them to reply that they received it and the one I printed off, I directly handed to the parent myself.
texascare 08:33 AM 08-01-2012
I am blunt to. I find that I have to be at times becasue parents look at you with this dumb look on their face like huh? Or the mom that says, "well my child never coughs at home, she must only cough here!"...I found if I am blunt I can get my point across the first time.
momma2girls 10:54 AM 08-01-2012
I quit doing before and after school 3 yrs. ago. It was very tough when they came in, to keep them quiet. They were always bored.. I would find stuff for them to do, and they would quit doing it like in 5-10 min. If they went outside, they would be out there, the same lenghth of time. They were very picky eaters for snacks and dinner. It was AWFUL!!! Besides they were always bring in more sicknesses to the daycare. Even if they were only here for about 1/2 hr. each am, it was still enough, to get eveeryone sick!! Then if they had a school delay, early out, no school days, etc. they were here then!! It was tough all day!!!
mbullette 11:14 AM 08-01-2012
I am having that same issue right now. Extremely picky eaters, wont do anything and if they do they complain the entire time, never want to go outside, act like zoo animals that escaped the zoo at nap time and the list goes on and on. I have talked to the parents a number of times and they just dont seem to care. They have no respect for me, my home or the other kids here so they are done at the end of the month or maybe sooner!!!
mema 11:47 AM 08-01-2012
This was the letter that I handed out a few months ago

Dear families

After much thought I have decided to no longer offer school aged care as of September 1, 2012. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

I have included the number for the local Childcare Resource and Referral and childcare association website if you need assistance finding new care arrangements.

CCRR-***-***-***x
******.com

Thank you for your understanding.

Signed Me

Good luck!
Reply Up