Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trying to get by Financially...
SimpleMom 01:01 PM 01-04-2010
It is so hard to get kids in while being pregnant I almost had an infant start up, but she needed to start right around my due date. I know it'll pick up again after I have baby. I REALLY want to take off 8 weeks before I head back to work. I took only 4 weeks last time and it just wasn't enough...I was barely getting my energy back by then. Now, I have a lot more kids coming back, so I am trying for the 8 weeks, but we'll see. I don't want to lose anyone.

Has anyone had this issue before? How much time do you usually take off? Does anyone else have trouble getting new clients in while pregnant?
jen 01:03 PM 01-04-2010
I took off 12 weeks with my daughter, didn't loose a one! Congrats on the baby! Take whatever time you need! Daycare kids will come and go, but you can't get those first few weeks back again!
momma2girls 01:06 PM 01-04-2010
I took off 8 weeks all together, and I lost only one that I actually let go on my own, was a toddler, all other ones came back, and I found them great daycare as my back up. I suggest everyone take alot of time off if you can- you will never be able to go back on it. It was so nice!!!
[email protected] 09:03 AM 01-05-2010
I took off 3 days with baby one, 4 with baby 2,. 5 with number 3 and 9 with baby 4. I would be bored if I had taken more than that.
GretasLittleFriends 09:37 AM 01-05-2010
With my daughter I was still in H.S. I got 6 weeks and one day. She was born on a Thursday, so after the 6 weeks I did get to wait until the following Monday. With my son I was on bedrest prior to his birth, but also only took 6 weeks post delivery. That wasn't so bad because the job where I worked I had the option for short-term disability, and qualified for it. So, though I wasn't getting a whole paycheck, I was still getting paid. I commuted an hour to work, plus daycare, and didn't have any of those expenses while I was out, so it evened itself out.

This time, my husband and I are both self-employed, and we're carefully planning this. I have told my parents I plan to close for two weeks after the baby is born. I'm also hoping not to have to go on bedrest this time, so I shouldn't have to close early. We do have a plan of action on the off chance this little one comes too early and children are present. We've also talked about scheduling an inducement rather than waiting that way our time off won't kill the bank account. Hubby's a long-haul truck driver, and I'd really like him home when baby is born. I don't want to go into labor with him in California, yet I don't want him home and waiting for an extra 2 weeks if not necessary. Most of all, it'd be great to tell the parents in advanced I'm going to be closed for these specific two weeks. It is very hard to find back-up care in my area. If I know in advance it makes everyone's lives so much easier.
momma2girls 09:46 AM 01-05-2010
I was very scared my baby would come early. Then to top it off at the end I developed gestational diabetes. So needless to say I took 3 weeks off before the baby came and 3- 4 weeks afterwards. I also developed high blood pressure, causing me to quit a little earlier than expected.
That would be a scary thought, us going into labor, then having to call all the parents, and having them all pick up, could be 1- 1 1/2 hrs. before everyone is picked up!! I didn't want that to happen!!!
Good luck!!!!
Carole's Daycare 10:27 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
I took off 12 weeks with my daughter, didn't loose a one! Congrats on the baby! Take whatever time you need! Daycare kids will come and go, but you can't get those first few weeks back again!
Right on! On a more practical note, you could see if you could get a helper or friend to sub for you to lessen the time they need to have alternate care. Sometimes teaching or child development students will do it for the experience as interning if your time off is in the summer. Honestly you may lose a couple. I took on a child for a summer once while her regular care was on maternity leave , and the family chose to stay with me. I think that had more to do with the lack of quality of care at the other providers, otherwise the family love and loyalty would have brought them back. Ultimately your own family has to take priority.
Tags:pregnancy
Reply Up