Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice; 1st Interview with a Teacher!
Lilbutterflie 06:44 AM 07-12-2012
I have an interview tonight with a teacher, and so far I have not had any full time families yet that have been teachers!

I already have a clause in my contract about extended leave (ex: summers, maternity leave); I offer to hold the spot for them for half price.

Are there any other topics or questions I should go over during the interview specific to teachers?

The only hesitation I have is that this teacher is at my DD's school. She is a kindergarten teacher, and my DD did not have her for kindergarten. But she knows my DD already from just being familiar with the other kindergartners when she was in that grade. My DD is wonderful at school, according to her teachers, so I don't think I have anything to worry about! I just wonder if there could be complications in the future with having a client who is a teacher at my child's school. Or maybe it could be a good thing? Any thoughts on that??
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 07-12-2012
I don't really have any advice, but I do have several teacher moms and I love each one of them!

I think they understand our perspective a bit more because they see things in the classroom that are similar to what we see as child care providers.

They see which parents support the teacher/school rules and which parents support their child being "special" and make excuses for their child etc. so I think teacher families are great to work with for that reason.

I do think that they are like any other client though and we shouldn't worry about doing anything different than you normally do when interviewing.

Good luck with you interview too, I am sure you will do great!
MizzCheryl 10:20 AM 07-12-2012
I have had lots of teachers kids.
I have had teacher kids that have taught my kids at the same time I had their kids.
It was never a problem. All went well and they pay me full price to hold a summer spot. Some even brought teir child all summer cause the child loved coming so much.
Many teachers love home providers because their child gets more one on one than they would in a center.
Best of luck to you!
clep 10:37 AM 07-12-2012
Teachers are my favorite. I have them pay full wage to hold their summer spot. Alternately I have had one of my parents take over my day home for two weeks before while I was on holidays and I paid her for it. All the children and parents knew her so it was perfect.

Teachers actually appreciate how hard our job is. I would probably have little hesitation about a teacher.
Lilbutterflie 10:53 AM 07-12-2012
Yay! I am happy to hear all of the positive reports on your experiences with teachers!! I hope this teacher is the same way.
Crazy8 11:33 AM 07-12-2012
I had my own DD's kindy teacher as a daycare parent for a while - it was a few years later, when she was pregnant she remembered that I did daycare so gave me a call. I had no problems at all in that regard!

Just curious, do you let them go part time instead of just paying half to hold the spot??
Lilbutterflie 11:59 AM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Just curious, do you let them go part time instead of just paying half to hold the spot??
They can go 2 SET days per week at half rate; or if they want to go 3 or more; they pay my daily rate for part timers.
momma2girls 12:56 PM 07-12-2012
I have all teachers, and have the entire summer off and love it!! They just pay a fee to hold their spot for next Fall!! I charge 1/2 the weekly rate for Spring and Winter breaks.
Lilbutterflie 01:09 PM 07-12-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I have all teachers, and have the entire summer off and love it!! They just pay a fee to hold their spot for next Fall!! I charge 1/2 the weekly rate for Spring and Winter breaks.
Oh, that would be my DREAM!! I am so jealous! If it works out with this teacher and she recommends me to her teacher friends; perhaps I could make it happen someday.
Lilbutterflie 07:19 PM 07-12-2012
Well, it did not go well with the teacher. It was actually the very first interview I've had in all 3 years where I KNOW she will not go with me. I have actually had a 100% success rate with my interviews! They have all chosen to go with me (though I have had to turn some down)!

They (the teacher and her husband) asked all kinds of questions, more than any other I've had. Which is fine, I get it. They mainly had the biggest issue with the fact that she is looking for care for her 4 yr old and also wants to have an open spot for her baby due in December, too. I don't have another open spot for the baby, and I don't really anticipate having one; but I told her it's a long way off and you never know what could happen. Then when I started explaining my extended leave (pay half rate) policy; the husband said "That just won't work for us. She is a teacher and has a lot of time off during the year and during the summer. Plus the maternity leave, we just don't want to pay half rate for the time she will be home with them." There was a little bit of small talk after that, she said she would make a decision by next week, and they left. I'm so sad. Her DD was cute as a button, too!
Fruitloops1 07:21 PM 07-12-2012
No advice (no interviews yet) but wishing you luck!!

Reply Up