Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If She Does It Again ..
familyschoolcare 05:29 PM 10-02-2012
.. then I will say something

So one of my special needs kids gets picked up by a nanny. The arangment is for me to

have DCB ready for nanny at 5:00 (detailed instructions on what this means it takes about

10 min) so today was the 3rd day nanny shows up 7 min early (yes she nows its early she

wrogte 4:53 on the sign out sheet) and just stands there while the children act out because

a parent/nanny is in the entery way. The first day I let it go. Yesterday I said oh your early.

Still stood there while I got DCB ready and childern acted up. Today I said oh your early I

do not have DCB ready yet, he still needs his shoes on smongst other things. Nanny says

that's Ok I will wait. I say you could put his shoes on while I do the rest of the stuff. Nanny

does and says nothing. She stands in enteryway while children act up. So I whant to tell

nanny if you are going to be early then you need to help get him ready I need pick up to

take 60 sec or less. But should I say something to the parents first or nanny first?
daycare 05:38 PM 10-02-2012
ugh that stinks....

I think that I would tell her. when you get here if he is not ready, then I need for you to help him get ready to go. Let her know that when other adults are here the kids tend to go a little crazy and are harder to control, so you would appreciate it if she would either wait outside until you have him ready or get him ready to go herslef.
Soccermom 06:12 PM 10-02-2012
Could you maybe have him ready for 4:50 knowing she will likely pick him up around that time. I'm sure she just wants to make sure she is on time and doesn't realize how much an adult being there can completely throw everything into chaos.

Pick up time stinks!
familyschoolcare 06:23 PM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Could you maybe have him ready for 4:50 knowing she will likely pick him up around that time. I'm sure she just wants to make sure she is on time and doesn't realize how much an adult being there can completely throw everything into chaos.

Pick up time stinks!
Yes, pick up time stinks....

The problem with just getting him ready early is if she is not going to pick up taht day then DCD will and not untill 6:00 and DCD is not going to call me to

tell me untill 4:45 maybe soon but the agrement is 4:45 as that is about the time I start gettting DCB ready and DCB realy does not handel change in his

schedgule/rutine well and I do not whant to deal with his crying just because I got him ready and no one is picking up for another hour.
familyschoolcare 07:15 PM 10-02-2012
Know that I think about it some more if I get DCB ready except his shoes he shbould be ok I think I will try that tommorow
Willow 07:21 PM 10-02-2012
Don't you have a schedule for him? By that I mean which days the nanny is going to pick up and which days the parent would?

Aside from that, can you come up with some sort of plan with the other kids in your care to help keep things calmer? I wouldn't be putting up with any sort of ruckus just because an adult is standing there. Just as if a licensing worker or food program rep visits I expect my kiddos to remain on their best behavior regardless. I new face doesn't give them permission to get out of control. Maybe redirect them onto an an involved activity when you're anticipating a pick up?
cheerfuldom 07:40 PM 10-02-2012
Tell her if she comes early, wait in her car outside till the proper pick up time. Early pickups have become a distraction.
DBug 03:57 AM 10-03-2012
Why do you have to get him ready anyway? I'd say "Hi, how are you? Here's dcb!" and turn around and walk back to the group. I'd keep them distracted with a book or something so that they don't act up while dcb & his nanny are getting their things together and leaving.

Imo, when the parent/caregiver shows up, my job ends.
MaritimeMummy 04:13 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
Why do you have to get him ready anyway? I'd say "Hi, how are you? Here's dcb!" and turn around and walk back to the group. I'd keep them distracted with a book or something so that they don't act up while dcb & his nanny are getting their things together and leaving.

This. If I see the parents driving up in my yard and I have time, I get their socks on, sometimes shoes too, but ultimately the parents end up finishing the job mainly because once the parents show up the kids want nothing further to do with me ;-) For the most part, I just gather their things and bring them all to the entryway. the parents know I am a big stickler on car seat safety and am going to be taking a car seat tech course this month, so they don't put on coats since they're just going in the car seats anyway. Most times they just scoop their kids up in their arms, carry their shoes and jacket out in their other hand, and that's it. No time wasted, no parents sitting there looking slack-jawed while I struggle to get their child prepared with other children running around.
Soccermom 04:22 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Yes, pick up time stinks....

The problem with just getting him ready early is if she is not going to pick up taht day then DCD will and not untill 6:00 and DCD is not going to call me to

tell me untill 4:45 maybe soon but the agrement is 4:45 as that is about the time I start gettting DCB ready and DCB realy does not handel change in his

schedgule/rutine well and I do not whant to deal with his crying just because I got him ready and no one is picking up for another hour.
I would tell DCD that because DCB is resistant to change in his routine and has special needs, you require a schedule for the week that must be followed as to who is picking up and the exact pick up times. Any changes to the schedule must be approved by you at least 24 hours in advance.

I know where you are coming from because I did have a DCB once with FAS and Aspergers. He needed to be guided through every single step of the day and any deviation from that sent him over the edge. His DCM was very good about it though and would always call me about 15 min. before she arrived so I could begin transitioning him into going home time and she never allowed me to have to deal with the stress of having someone other than her pick him up. He was really cute but I had to term when he got to be about 10 and started showing signs of aggresion towards the other children.
lovemykidstoo 04:41 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Don't you have a schedule for him? By that I mean which days the nanny is going to pick up and which days the parent would?

Aside from that, can you come up with some sort of plan with the other kids in your care to help keep things calmer? I wouldn't be putting up with any sort of ruckus just because an adult is standing there. Just as if a licensing worker or food program rep visits I expect my kiddos to remain on their best behavior regardless. I new face doesn't give them permission to get out of control. Maybe redirect them onto an an involved activity when you're anticipating a pick up?
My kids try to do that too when an adult comes in. I always tell them that I don't go blind and deaf when an adult comes into the house. I would either start getting ready right at 4:45 if the dad doesn't call or ask her to help or ask her to come a couple of minutes later. Shouldn't be too hard to tweek this situation. Good luck!
bunnyslippers 05:38 AM 10-03-2012

Exactly!
canadiancare 05:41 AM 10-03-2012
I don't dress kids when they are being picked up. I don't undress them when they are being dropped off. I have other kids to worry about.
Willow 05:49 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I don't dress kids when they are being picked up. I don't undress them when they are being dropped off. I have other kids to worry about.
I actually like helping with that part because it's a nice way to transition.

It's not about neglecting any of the other kids already here, we're all in the same room, and they all get their own time when their parent comes too.
laundrymom 06:46 AM 10-03-2012
" oh it's not 5yet. I dont have him ready. Here are his things. Tomorrow if you wait until 5to come in he will be all ready for you. " then turn and let her be.

A few days of her being told she is early and because of that she chooses to disrupt your schedule, may be enough for her to get the hint.
lovemykidstoo 06:52 AM 10-03-2012
Lock the door and don't unlock it until 4:59.
laundrymom 07:12 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Lock the door and don't unlock it until 4:59.
dingding dong dong ding dong

We have a winner!!!!!!!! Awesome!!!!
familyschoolcare 07:38 AM 10-03-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:

The kids act the same way they would if I was in the kitchen and they where in the livingroom schoolaged children miss behave when they think they are not being watched. The only times I get a s/he hit/kicked me is when I am not in the direct line of sight of the children for 2 min or more. (yes this means I pee realy fasst)
familyschoolcare 07:41 AM 10-03-2012

I get him ready because that is the agreement I have with the DCD I think but am not sure that nanny does not know the child has special needs.
Reply Up