Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Day Care and Disability
Neekie 12:49 PM 01-10-2014
Does anybody here know if it is possible to do child care on a part-time basis and still be on partial disability? I am partially disabled and would probably qualify for disability, but I have never applied because I want to work and do as much as I can for myself and because I love children and my job. However because of my disability I have to have an assistant here working with me. But it is just getting so expensive to hire people that it just is not economical for me to do that anymore. Now if I cut down on the number children that I have here, I could manage without help except that I would need help getting the children outside in the winter and I could probably have a friend or neighbor help me with that. So if I cut the number of children that I care for down to two or three, my income would drop too low even if I don't have helpers. So could I collect a partial disability if I qualify for it and still have my day care? Is there anybody here who has been is this situation? I hate being dependent on the government and have always been independent and never collected anything due to my disability before, but it is just getting tougher trying to keep up with the bills.
Neekie 01:23 PM 01-10-2014
Just for the record. I am going to eligible for medicare and social security in four years anyway. So I wouldn't be on it that long.
Cat Herder 01:27 PM 01-10-2014
I peeked at www.socialsecurity.gov and then typed partial benefit into the search box.

The page that came up had a lot of info but I can't get it to link here and it is too long and complex to type out right now...

Kids are in transition to clean up.

It did say "No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short term disability. Disability under social security is based on your inability to work." It referred petitioners to workers comp, insurance, savings and investments.
sharlan 01:39 PM 01-10-2014
Disability is really hard to get right now. You would probably have a long fight.

My dh is disabled, hasn't worked in 3 1/2 years. His disability was denied, we hired an atty almost a year ago and he still hasn't had a hearing before a judge.
Neekie 04:55 PM 01-10-2014
Yeah, that's what I thought. That I am better off just doing it the way I am. Doing the work that I can do myself and letting my assistant handle the rest. And paying out the money to have her here. The areas where I have trouble is in doing active things with the kids like dancing, doing activities that require me to be on the floor such as building a block tower with them, or chasing them around outdoors which isn't too bad in the summer, but I can not be out in the cold in the winter. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the cold really gets to my joints. I also have to hire a cleaning lady to come in do the major cleaning for me such as scrubbing the floor on hands and knees to get in all the corners, cleaning bottom cabinets, and things like that. So it gets pretty expensive. But I only have two more years till my husband retires and then I can retire, so I guess I will just stick it out. By the way girls, we want to move out of Wisconsin to get away from the cold winters, but we have no idea where to go. Does anyone have a suggestion as which state might good to retire in? I know I am completely changing the subject here, but I need some input in this area, too. I have never really traveled anywhere.
Neekie 05:06 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I peeked at www.socialsecurity.gov and then typed partial benefit into the search box.

The page that came up had a lot of info but I can't get it to link here and it is too long and complex to type out right now...

Kids are in transition to clean up.

It did say "No benefits are payable for partial disability or for short term disability. Disability under social security is based on your inability to work." It referred petitioners to workers comp, insurance, savings and investments.
Cat Herder, thank you for doing some legwork for me. I appreciate that. I know it takes time to look that stuff up.
earlystart 05:06 PM 01-10-2014
From personal experience, I know you're able to earn a certain amount of money per month and still remain on disability for a certain period of time (like 9 months at a stretch - it's like a trial work period). But that's for someone who has already been awarded disability and it doesn't really work in your favor when you have periodic check-ups to prove you're still disabled (they're going to be like "see? you're able to work"). Also, you having worked so recently is also going to make your case look bad. It can take several months to get approved, if not longer. I don't think they offer what you're looking for though - partial pay while you work part time hours - that's more like what private disability insurance offers I think. Your best bet to get more info is to find a free consultation with lawyers who specialize in this - they don't get paid unless you get approved (they will take a percentage of the initial money awarded), so they won't take your case unless they think you WILL get approved.
itlw8 06:33 PM 01-11-2014
My dad was a dentist he was going blind from histoplasmosis. I think that was the name. He had to close his practice because he could not see to work. BUT he did not qualify for disability because SS said he could do other kind of work.
MotherNature 04:54 AM 01-13-2014
Try the SW. Back in the day, scores of people travelled to the SW for the air quality & sunshine to help with TB. I grew up in New Mexico. My grandma only had one working lung for many years, and they had their summer home in WVA, and maintained a condo in Albuquerque during the winter. Plus, it's pretty there.
Tags:disability, workers comp
Reply Up