Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Measles outbreak
kathiemarie 04:00 PM 01-23-2015
I live in one of the towns that has had reported cases of measles. I care for a 4 month and 6 month old, along with 4 others over 1. The older ones have all been vaccinated but the younger 2 have not. My town has a lot of moms that do NOT vaccinate. My question is what if any thing do I do to help keep these kids healthy? We do go out everyday to the park, story time etc. Do we stay home until this passes? I do have an email to my Doctor but any advice you ladies can give me would be wonderful.
Ariana 03:28 PM 01-24-2015
Measles is not a death sentence so unless you have immuno-compromised children I wouldn't worry about it. We had a small outbreak here as well and oddly enough 3 of the 6 cases were vaccinated kids.
itlw8 06:11 PM 01-24-2015
yes it was a death sentence for some children back before vaccines. You might want to research what it was like during outbreaks in the 40's and 50's.

As far as the question I would limit your time in crowds of children if you have active cases in your town. Better safe than sorry.
Unregistered 06:20 PM 01-24-2015
Measles can cause brain damage through encephalitis, and vision problems or blindness.
Angelsj 08:26 PM 01-24-2015
In the 40s we did not have the medical advances we have now. Measles is NOT a horrific disease, nor is it deadly. Know the symptoms. Get medical help when appropriate. Otherwise, worry less.
Tags:measles
Reply Up