Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Do It?
SunflowerMama 03:51 PM 04-19-2010
So I have a 18 month old dck that was one of my first in care when I started in February. My advertised hours are until 5:30p but her mom asked me to watch her until 6p (long commute). I accepted her because I was just starting out and taking anyone really.

I now have just 1 spot (under 5yr and then 2 schooler spots) available and have a family with 3 kids (2 would be dc and 1 is a schooler I would just have in the summer). This new family as well as my other 2 families all would pick-up by 4:30p.

I have another provider close by and we refer families to each other. I just don't know if it would be horrible to see if she would be interested in watching my 18 month old dc girl full time.

It would free up the space to take all the children from the new family as well as cut my day from 6:30a - 6p to 6:30a - 4:30p.

What does everyone think? Would that be horrible of me to do?
melissa ann 04:10 PM 04-19-2010
I would do it. It doesn't sound horrible to me. I would love to cut back on my hours. I have kids from 6-5pm . Makes for a long day.
jen 05:07 PM 04-19-2010
Doesn't sound horrible to me! 4:30 sound FABULOUS!
jraybaby 05:57 PM 04-19-2010
I guess it would be okay as long as the other provider can/will accept the child. If she can't, then I don't think it's fair.
AfterSchoolMom 06:27 PM 04-19-2010
Originally Posted by :
If she can't, then I don't think it's fair.
Fair to whom? I think that as long as she gives appropriate notice, it is her business to run as she pleases.

I'd cite the fact that you want to cut back your hours, give notice, and go for it. It's not personal, just a business decision. I'd tell the Mom that you can refer her to the other provider before you actually do it though.
originalkat 07:01 PM 04-19-2010
I dont think that is right. She chose you because she liked you and the care you provide. And then just to pawn the kid off on someone else because something else comes along that is better for you just does'nt seem right to me.

We are talking about kids people...its not just a business deal!
QualiTcare 10:42 PM 04-19-2010
i agree, originalkat.

i have cancelled vacations due to my parents needing care. i told them in the beginning that if i took a vacation, it would be with advance notice, and only if they had alternate care during that time.

call me crazy, but i had 2 children in daycare and i depended on the poviders like i depend on air.

i also make it clear to them when it comes to them taking vacations, etc. that i arrange my family's life for them, and that is what my rates are based on. i respect their needs, and they respect mine.

IF the other provider agrees to take the child and IF the child's mother doesn't have a problem with it (which she may feel pressured to not have a problem with it) then i would say it's okay.

yes, you are entitled to do whatever you want to do, but reputation is important, and these ARE children. moving around is a big deal for a child. just make sure you take EVERYTHING into consideration before making a decision.
Rachel 02:40 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I dont think that is right. She chose you because she liked you and the care you provide. And then just to pawn the kid off on someone else because something else comes along that is better for you just does'nt seem right to me.

We are talking about kids people...its not just a business deal!
I agree! Plus the child is only 18 months old. This year I needed morning care for my ds (20 months at the time, I provide afternoon care and was takinga class in the mornings). It took him about a month before he was really happy to go every day, and if she had told me "no, sorry I'm giving you notice" a few weeks later I would have been mighty upset. The child just formed an attachment to you, stick with her at least through this year, then maybe give notice in the summer if you want to have shorter hours starting next school year.
melskids 03:48 AM 04-20-2010
the number one priority here is YOU. if you burn yourself out caring for children longer than you want or can handle, that doesnt make for a good provider all the way around. if cutting back your hours is what needs to be done to keep yourself sane, by all means do it. YOU and YOUR family should be number one. you have to do what works for you, and if that means cutting back on hours , so be it. JMO
SunflowerMama 04:51 AM 04-20-2010
I appreciate everyone's opinions...thanks!

I do remember this mom mentioning during our interview that there may be a possibility of her hours being flexible if that was necessary. I have decided to just be honest with her and just tell her that all the other dcks are gone by 4:30p, my husband gets home at 5p and my girls go to bed at 7p so 5-7p is our family time during the week and my time to run quick errands for the daycare for the next day. I love, love, love her dd but watching her to 6p has been tough and does cut into our family time more than I anticipated when I first took them on.

I'm going to just ask if moving her working hours a bit is still an option as I would like to just cut back on my hours a bit to be both a better provider to my dcks as well as a better mother/wife for my family.
momma2girls 06:26 AM 04-20-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
I appreciate everyone's opinions...thanks!

I do remember this mom mentioning during our interview that there may be a possibility of her hours being flexible if that was necessary. I have decided to just be honest with her and just tell her that all the other dcks are gone by 4:30p, my husband gets home at 5p and my girls go to bed at 7p so 5-7p is our family time during the week and my time to run quick errands for the daycare for the next day. I love, love, love her dd but watching her to 6p has been tough and does cut into our family time more than I anticipated when I first took them on.

I'm going to just ask if moving her working hours a bit is still an option as I would like to just cut back on my hours a bit to be both a better provider to my dcks as well as a better mother/wife for my family.
I would do the exact thing as you are doing, in saying I need at least 2 hrs. each evening for just my family time. This isn't too much to ask at all!!!
Childminder 07:23 AM 04-20-2010
You asked if we would do it. My answer is no, I would not send her elsewhere. Children this young need continuity of care and a bond with caregivers. Shuffling her from provider to provider isn't good for her no matter how wonderful each provider is. Ask the parent to change hours at least a couple days a week if you want to but I wouldn't be surprised if she can't. I personally feel that as a Family Daycare Home it is my responsibility as a provider that once I accept a child into my care they are a part of my 'family' and are treated that way. But that is just me and I'm in a minority I'm sure.
Tags:referral
Reply Up