Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When to Tell Families About Pregnancy
Unregistered 04:51 AM 02-26-2014
Logged out for privacy. How far along were you when you told DCFs about your pregnancy? It's too early now, and I want to wait as long as possible. I only have 2 families and 1 has only been with me a month (she has an 8 month old) so I'm nervous she'll start looking for new care. I'm fairly confident my other DCM will be great- I've had her almost 3 year old just shy of a year now. I just can't afford a financial hit right now .
MotherNature 06:34 AM 02-26-2014
I'm currently 13 weeks old. My families have known for a couple months & are fine with things. They know I'm going to have to take time off now & then for appts...but I try and schedule midwife appts after hours. One of my moms is due in April & leaving for a while anyways. Just yesterday, I started bleeding though & rushed to the ER for an U/S..everything seems ok though, and it's hopefully just one of those weird things where some women bleed through pregnancy. I only have one kid on Tuesday, and mom asked if I needed her to go back home when I explained what was going on at drop-off. I did call her later when I went to the hospital, & she was fine. She even kept him home today so I could rest. Pregnant mom had a similar situation w/ her older kid & asked if I would be open today. My husband took today off to help, so yes. She also was understanding if I needed time off. Hope your families are understanding, and congratulations!
Annalee 06:42 AM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Logged out for privacy. How far along were you when you told DCFs about your pregnancy? It's too early now, and I want to wait as long as possible. I only have 2 families and 1 has only been with me a month (she has an 8 month old) so I'm nervous she'll start looking for new care. I'm fairly confident my other DCM will be great- I've had her almost 3 year old just shy of a year now. I just can't afford a financial hit right now .
I told mine as soon as I knew...didn't want word to get around and everyone start freaking out!
Great Beginnings 07:02 AM 02-26-2014
I told mine right away because I figured it would be easier to do interviews and replace them the earlier I was vs interviewing families at 6 months. I lost 2 families. One family had the audacity to say they will wait until the month before I'm due because other providers were so much more expensive. I told them 2 weeks would be sufficient.
CraftyMom 07:08 AM 02-26-2014
Congratulations! I think I would tell them right away (I haven't been pregnant in daycare though). You will need to go to appointments and if they know now they will be more prepared for you to take time off, open late, close early, etc
CraftyMom 07:09 AM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
I'm currently 13 weeks old. My families have known for a couple months & are fine with things. They know I'm going to have to take time off now & then for appts...but I try and schedule midwife appts after hours. One of my moms is due in April & leaving for a while anyways. Just yesterday, I started bleeding though & rushed to the ER for an U/S..everything seems ok though, and it's hopefully just one of those weird things where some women bleed through pregnancy. I only have one kid on Tuesday, and mom asked if I needed her to go back home when I explained what was going on at drop-off. I did call her later when I went to the hospital, & she was fine. She even kept him home today so I could rest. Pregnant mom had a similar situation w/ her older kid & asked if I would be open today. My husband took today off to help, so yes. She also was understanding if I needed time off. Hope your families are understanding, and congratulations!
Congratulations! And glad everything turned out well
Unregistered 07:30 AM 02-26-2014
I am closing early one afternoon next month so my DH can go to the ultrasound with me, but otherwise he gets home by 2 or earlier if need be so I don't have to close early or take off days for appts. Makes it great (Like today I have 2 well baby checks but it doesn't affect families since he can be here!)
Unregistered 09:52 AM 02-26-2014
Anyone here wait a while to tell? (I definitely wouldn't before 13 weeks when I tell friends and family.)
Great Beginnings 10:19 AM 02-26-2014
I was only 3-4 weeks before we told family. We agreed to wait 12 weeks before telling friends but DH couldn't keep his mouth shut and they ending up knowing about 8 weeks

I think I was about 14-15 weeks when I told the daycare families. I'm now 6 months and parents are actually being much more considerate of bringing their sick kids lol!
preschoolteacher 10:43 AM 02-26-2014
We're hoping to get pregnant again soon. I don't plan to tell my families until I'm past my first trimester and in a safer zone. I don't want to announce a pregnancy and then announce a loss if something bad happens. It would be too heartbreaking.

In my handbook, I told families I would tell them when I'm pregnant with at least 5 months' notice, so they are aware of that.
sahm1225 11:07 AM 02-26-2014
I told my families when I was around 12 weeks. I had horrible morning sickness so I think most knew (plus it was my third, so I had the little bump/bloat).

I think telling them around 3-4 months is good. You can always tell them that you will discuss specifics once it gets closer.
LadyPearl 11:20 AM 02-26-2014
I'm 8 1/2 weeks and we haven't told anybody yet. We plan to tell family in about 4 weeks. My first ended in miscarriage at 11 weeks, my second was fine, and placenta previa for our third. We are naturally cautious about everything considering my history, especially dh because he knows how difficult it was for me the first time around. I have had 2 c-sections and will have a third. I am at a higher risk for placenta previa.

My biggest concern is having to deal with families that feel inconvenienced by my pregnancy, especially if I do have complications. I think I would be very upset knowing that they could feel that way.
spud912 12:50 PM 02-26-2014
I told the more supportive parents I've had for years around the 5-6 week mark. If something did happen as far as a miscarriage, I would probably tell them anyway because I would need to take time off. The other parents I told at the 9-10 week mark after I saw the little bean jumping around on the dating ultrasound. I show very early....already look like I'm 20 weeks along and I'm only 14 weeks . Darn it...I swear I'm going to look like a ginormous house by the time this pregnancy is done! I've already gained 4-5 lbs .

Now I'm just hoping that any of the boat hoppers plan to jump ship way before the end of pregnancy because I think it will be a pain to interview at the end of pregnancy.
Rachel 10:05 AM 02-27-2014
I was pregnant my first year. I don't remember when I explicitly told the parents, but they probably noticed it first (here a lot of people don't tell until the 5th month, and it was winter so it wasn't so obvious until then). It didn't affect them much though because I was due Aug. 1st and the "school year" is over on Aug. 6th, so I knew I would be working pretty much until the end and there was backup for the last week for the 2 who needed. In the end ds came August 1 at 5:45 (finished working at 4:30, he came QUICK).
LadyPearl 12:34 PM 02-27-2014
Out of curiosity, what have you all done when the baby comes? How did you plan, how long did you close, etc?
Crazy8 03:48 PM 02-27-2014
I generally waited till 12 weeks or I was showing (which was earlier with #3, LOL). That was my general rule on telling anyone really.

For each of my kids the only day I closed early for appointments was my big 20 week u/s - couldn't schedule that for evening due to the radiology center's hours but my regular ob/gyn appointments were always in the evenings. I closed for 2 weeks when each of them were born. I had prepared to have someone come in and help after the 2 weeks but I didn't need it. We just took it easy the last few weeks before I delivered and the first week or two they came back - parents had no problem with a little tv time thrown in there since that was normally not a regular part of our days.
Tags:pregnancy, pregnancy - parent notification
Reply Up