Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Attention Span at Craft-Time
TickleMonster 06:53 PM 06-08-2014
How do you get a 2.5 year old dcb interested in craft time? I realize he is young and can't do most of the intricate crafts but most kids that age love to color at least or paint but he just sits there like a zombie and stares into space. He doesn't like to even scribble. Its a chore to get him to do anything so we finally will let him down from the table to go play but when pickup time rolls around, dcm sees kids with other crafts and seems to wonder why her son isn't participating. We have told her that we try to engage him in activities and he just sits there like a bump on a log. What do we do?
midaycare 08:12 PM 06-08-2014
I always help the younger ones with the craft. I use theirs as the "models" for the other kids, so theirs actually end up being the nicest. The youngest ones like the extra attention and I have them do everything they can.
Blackcat31 09:30 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by TickleMonster:
How do you get a 2.5 year old dcb interested in craft time? I realize he is young and can't do most of the intricate crafts but most kids that age love to color at least or paint but he just sits there like a zombie and stares into space. He doesn't like to even scribble. Its a chore to get him to do anything so we finally will let him down from the table to go play but when pickup time rolls around, dcm sees kids with other crafts and seems to wonder why her son isn't participating. We have told her that we try to engage him in activities and he just sits there like a bump on a log. What do we do?
Have you tried sensory art with him?

Painting with pudding or whipped cream?

How about using marbles or hot wheel cars in paint?

There are so many different art activities you can do that are fun and sensory for little ones.

I would never expect them to have the attention span to sit and color or make a craft.

Fill the blow up pool with pudding or shaving cream and a few drops of food coloring and let him take off his socks and step in and squish and slide and stomp and wiggle...

I think at his age, he should be exploring the materials and using them in any and all ways he and you can think of.

Don't aim for a finished product...just see how many ways he can use it.
Leanna 09:44 PM 06-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

There are so many different art activities you can do that are fun and sensory for little ones.

I would never expect them to have the attention span to sit and color or make a craft.

Fill the blow up pool with pudding or shaving cream and a few drops of food coloring and let him take off his socks and step in and squish and slide and stomp and wiggle...

I think at his age, he should be exploring the materials and using them in any and all ways he and you can think of.

Yes, this. Aim for the experience, focus on the process, not the end product.

Sensory art is a great way to engage kiddos but on the flip side the sensory part is what makes some kids NOT want to participate. Some kids don't like getting their hands sticky or messy or have an aversion to different textures. Try offering longer handled paint brushes. Also, try fingerpaint in a ziploc bag - this way they get the experience of painting but not the messy part that they might not like.

Other process-orientated art experiences that might be appealing:
Bingo dotters on paper
Sticking feathers, pompoms, foam pieces, etc. onto sheets of contact paper.
Stinging large beads

HTH!
starz0123 10:07 PM 06-08-2014
Another vote for sensory art & you may never get an end product out of it but you can always take a pic for mum.

Another thing to think about (not directed at OP, just in general) I use the formula chronological age + 1 = attention span for programming activities ie 2.5y = 3.5 mins which I find fairly accurate.
playground1 03:41 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Totally agree. Everything BC said is great and wanted to add my own. My kids like to play with plastic animals and play dough. We've made footprints in the dough, made clothes for the animals. There's just a ton of things you can do.
TickleMonster 05:11 AM 06-09-2014
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the ideas for sensory art but this particular child would scream if he got messy or sticky. Love the ideas about the contact paper and foam pieces. Will be trying that one with him!
Shell 10:06 AM 06-09-2014
Idk, all the suggestions are great but I approach things like this: I will help a younger child paint hand over hand if they are just staring into space- but i don't force it. If the child yells or whines, I stop but they do sit at the table and watch the older kids. I find a ton of kids have no idea what to do with a paintbrush simply because mom and dad don't want a mess at home. I even had a 6 yr old that didn't know how to hold scissors because dcm was afraid she would get hurt. In my experience, you provide the materials, show them what to do, but don't force it. Sometimes you just have to find the right craft that sparks their interest, and they will succeed. Trial and error.
Blackcat31 10:09 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Idk, all the suggestions are great but I approach things like this: I will help a younger child paint hand over hand if they are just staring into space- but i don't force it. If the child yells or whines, I stop but they do sit at the table and watch the older kids. I find a ton of kids have no idea what to do with a paintbrush simply because mom and dad don't want a mess at home. I even had a 6 yr old that didn't know how to hold scissors because dcm was afraid she would get hurt. In my experience, you provide the materials, show them what to do, but don't force it. Sometimes you just have to find the right craft that sparks their interest, and they will succeed. Trial and error.
But there is a big difference between a "craft" and art.

Art to me is familiarizing yourself with the materials and how they work and what you can do with them.

Crafts are what kids make AFTER they experience art or are familiar with the materials and expected outcomes.

Children who have no idea how to use a paint brush or scissors are usually kids who weren't allowed to experiment with materials.
spinnymarie 10:19 AM 06-09-2014
Have you tried the paint in a baggie things? or under a piece of saran wrap? That might help his 'ick' factor.

Also, I usually do art 'projects' where there is an end product as a small group or even one-on-one while the other kids play, that might help? Or it might be worse.

I like the photo idea
nothingwithoutjoy 10:37 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by TickleMonster:
dcm sees kids with other crafts and seems to wonder why her son isn't participating. ...What do we do?
I think it's your job to educate mom, rather than to change her son. If he's not interested, it's not up to him to create something just to make mom happy. I'd document the other things he does do during the day, share that with mom, and emphasize his strengths. For example, a photo of the block tower he built, or a story about the game of family he played with a friend. There are many ways for children to create, all equally valid.

Another approach is to bring art to him. For example, if he likes cars, put huge paper on the floor where he plays and offer crayons for drawing paths for the cars to drive on.
CraftyMom 01:39 PM 06-09-2014
I agree with the others. Sounds like you haven't found what interests him yet. Some will color for hours, some would rather paint or use play dough. Just offer a wide variety of options, which it seems you are. Maybe art isn't his thing. I had the same situation. Dcb 2.5 wasn't interested in any art. He would look at the table full of supplies then get up and walk away and play with toys. Mom wondered why he didn't have any art hanging. I would say "dcb wasn't interested in art today but he really loved playing blocks while the others had art time". A couple of times if it was an end product craft I sent home some supplies in a bag for him to do with mom at home. This kept mom happy

I wouldn't force it, if he doesn't want to that's fine. He'll join when he's ready
CraftyMom 01:41 PM 06-09-2014
Also, if you find that he's interested in something else, cars for example, maybe you'll say "oh dcb, lets see what kind of tracks your cars can make in the paint. Or if he likes blocks "dcb, let's use your blocks like stamps"
Tags:attention span, craft time
Reply Up