Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies and hardwood floors
SquirrellyMama 07:53 AM 06-23-2014
I have an interview for an infant tonight. Does anyone have hardwood floors and do infant care? Do you buy area rugs or do they just crawl and play on the hardwood?

We had carpet when my kids were infants.

Thanks!

Kelly
ihop 07:56 AM 06-23-2014
I have hardwood an infants. I've had two fat lips and that's it in a year. I have mats down in one spot if the infant isn't mobile just so the toddlers know the space around the baby. But once they crawl I leave the floor bare. Never had an issue or complain.
spud912 08:10 AM 06-23-2014
My current house is all tile and wooden floors. The youngest child I've had in this house was my own younger daughter. Otherwise, I've had a lot of clumsy 1-year olds. I don't recall having any issues with the hardwood floors. The main bumps and bruises were caused by furniture or colliding with another child. I also avoid having the children wear socks in the house because they are super slippery.
Leanna 09:45 AM 06-23-2014
My upstairs is all hardwood floors and the infant area in the downstairs playroom is carpeted. Upstairs, I lay a quilt down for non-mobile babies to play and to give the bigger kids a visual of the babies space. Once they are crawling they are fine on the hardwoods. The bigger kids have more issues because they often "forget" to walk.
MotherNature 10:53 AM 06-23-2014
We have infants and hardwoods. I will lay blankets down for smaller babies, but once they crawl, they do fine with it. Most of the families I've had are from our neighbourhood, and there's a lot of historical/older homes here, so lots of hardwood and stairs.They deal with it at home as well. I pretty much can't stand carpet. I had an area rug down in the lr when I started, but it quickly got gross from the baby that spat up constantly.
SquirrellyMama 11:50 AM 06-23-2014
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the answers. I'll have a blanket to lay down for the interview. I think this baby is probably not mobile yet.

Kelly
Reply Up