Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much To Tip A Hair Dresser?
Nellie 09:31 AM 12-23-2011
Does anyone know how much you are suppose to tip a hairdresser? To be honest with you I hate tipping. I wish that prices were fixed so you were not required to tip. I think it is because I always feel obligated to tip good and always have. However lately the money is not there. Not that I want to be a stingy tipper, but right now I don't feel like tipping 1/2 of the bill when service was ok. Last night all the hair cut places were all booked up at the mall besides one. I was able to get my daughter and I in there for a hair cut. Where we normally go it costs 16 to 20 for a hair cut and I have always left a 5 dollar tip. I saw the sign on the door with prices and a hair cut could be up to $32. So while he was cutting my hair I was trying to figure out how much I was suppose to tip him and I fell asleep in the chair. I have never heard a percentage like at resturants. When I awoke with my new hair cut my bill was 27 for one and 24 for the other. I paid it and gave each hairdresser $10. I know it is the holidays, but I don't have a regular hairdresser and this was the first that I have ever used this place. I felt like the guy looked down at the tip. My daughter thought that he looked pleased with the tip. I just wish I knew what was customary to give a hair dresser.
AfterSchoolMom 09:40 AM 12-23-2011
I can't imagine being ungrateful about a 40 percent tip!

I generally do about $5-8 at the chain type haircutting places, or $3-4 per stylist if there's more than one cutting our hair.
permanentvacation 09:42 AM 12-23-2011
I am pretty sure that I undertip all the time! I'm a single mother and pretty broke, so I do what I can. However, the part of your post that caught me is where you said that you feel obligated to always tip. My question is when and why did tipping become expected? Tipping is supposed to be done when a customer/client feels that an employee has done an extra good job. They are expected to do their job that they are already being paid by their employee to do. Their tips are not supposed to be their salary, it's supposed to be a way for us to say, " Thanks so much for the extra care you gave me." So, I wouldn't feel and have never felt obligated to tip. I tip when I am provided a bit better of service and only if they provide me with service that I feel is worthy of a tip.

For those who have chosen to work in a job that pays below min. wage and to a degree, their tips are their salary, then they have chosen to have to EARN their salary. I will pay a higher salary (tip) if they earn it. If they provide a service that if I were their boss, I'd possibly be looking for other employees, I don't give them a salary (tip) at all.
mismatchedsocks 09:49 AM 12-23-2011
I go to place that is usually $10 hair cuts. We normally just get trim, nothing fsancy or longer then 10 minutes,. I leave $2.
Lucy 10:29 AM 12-23-2011
$2 is fine, as far as I'm concerned.
Ariana 12:10 PM 12-23-2011
My hairdresser works out of her home so she can stay home with her daughter like me and charges $50 for a haircut. I'll usually add $10-$15 onto that. In restaurants it's 15-20% so it's the same I would think?

Where the heck do you guys get your haircut for $10!!! I wish
mismatchedsocks 12:20 PM 12-23-2011
I just go to great clips. I buy a $50 gift card twice a year from there. With every $50 gift card you get a free cut. So I get 12 hair cuts for $100. That is enough for myself, ds, and dd. I cut my boyfriends hair, so that is free!
daycare 12:34 PM 12-23-2011
i live in CA where nothing is cheap and everything is expected...UGH

I tip 20% and my hair cut is usually about $80-$200.00, depending on what I have done......... I have very very long hair so I get taken for...ugh...lol

I am not keen on the whole idea and whoever came up with it...But it is what it is...
momofboys 05:23 PM 12-23-2011
Those sound like very nice tips - you have nothing to worry about. Where I go to get my hair cut it is $21 for a hair cut/style. I typically will leave about $4.00, so a little less than 20% which I feel is fair.
Tags:tipping
Reply Up