Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rude
brookeroo 12:51 PM 08-14-2012
Does anyone else ever have a parent arrive unexpected during a nap and when you tell them they are sleeping the parent takes off through your house looking for them or following you to the room? I'm sorry but that drives me batty.

I get that this is a business but it is first my home and I still have a right to some privacy. I don't keep my house a mess but at times my family leaves laundry out... Including underwear ect. How do you all handle this?

I've had 3 parents do this in 3 months time. Each have had a tour during the interview. I just want to look at them and say... I'm sorry but I can handle this part of my job. Thank you!
saved4always 12:57 PM 08-14-2012
When I did childcare in my home, I had the kids sleeping in seperate bedrooms upstairs (I was legally unliscensed so I did not have to keep the kids all in a room I stayed in). If a parent came to pick up and thier child was still asleep, I let them in the front door and told them, he/she is still sleeping and I'll go get him/her. I'd say this as I was running up the stairs.
brookeroo 01:03 PM 08-14-2012
That's what I do. They follow me. If I say that's ok I'll get them they either ignore me and continue on or say "that's alright. It's not a problem"
Heidi 01:10 PM 08-14-2012
I haven't had any parent do that in a while (and it's HIGHLY discouraged), but if they came during nap, I'd say "Please wait here. I will get dck and bring him up. It's still naptime, and I don't want the other children awake".

The first year I did daycare, I had a mom come get her baby, then a dad arrived I as well (right at the tail end of nap). I said "Oh, I just heard dcb wake up, why don't you sneak into my room and get him?"

10 minutes passed, and the other dcm and I both sort of looked at each other (we were talking..time flies). I said "should I go check on them?" she says "ya, I think so!"

I found DCD laying on my bed (the one I have sex on! ) with his shoes on! "Does wup wup (yeah..wup wup) want to get up now?"

I just stood there like this . "Umm...well don't YOU look comfortable!"
Country Kids 01:14 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I haven't had any parent do that in a while (and it's HIGHLY discouraged), but if they came during nap, I'd say "Please wait here. I will get dck and bring him up. It's still naptime, and I don't want the other children awake".

The first year I did daycare, I had a mom come get her baby, then a dad arrived I as well (right at the tail end of nap). I said "Oh, I just heard dcb wake up, why don't you sneak into my room and get him?"

10 minutes passed, and the other dcm and I both sort of looked at each other (we were talking..time flies). I said "should I go check on them?" she says "ya, I think so!"

I found DCD laying on my bed (the one I have sex on! ) with his shoes on! "Does wup wup (yeah..wup wup) want to get up now?"

I just stood there like this . "Umm...well don't YOU look comfortable!"
Thank you Heidi for the laugh!!!

I so need it. I love your line (the one I have sex on!) as it makes it sound like its just for that. Like you have one for sleeping on, one for sex, one for watching tv, etc. I love it-Thank you-
Heidi 01:15 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Thank you Heidi for the laugh!!!

I so need it. I love your line (the one I have sex on!) as it makes it sound like its just for that. Like you have one for sleeping on, one for sex, one for watching tv, etc. I love it-Thank you-
lol...tell you a little secret. That dcd is now a world class poker player, and I see him on tv all the time. He cracks me up. Not naming names, of course!
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 08-14-2012
I love the fact that I have a separate coatroom that blocks off the rest of my daycare area.

Parents are always welcome to come in but by invite only. They also tour my whole house during the interview process but generally once enrollment happens, the parent comes in and helps child remove coats and shoes and the child is the only one who comes past my half door.

I think it makes a HUGE difference in smooth drop offs/pick ups as well as simply forms a barrier as to not have to mix too many adults in with playing/sleeping/eating children.
Busy Bees 02:44 PM 08-14-2012
Blackcat31 I love your coatroom and the door.
EchoMom 05:10 PM 08-14-2012
Maybe it's just me but I don't mind parents coming into the nap room. Sometimes it's messy with my personal clean laundry baskets, or toys/books/etc. strewn about if I haven't finished an organizing project. I have a parent that has a scheduled pick up time during nap and so always walks into the house with curtains pulled and everyone asleep. She comes in absolutely quiet as a mouse. If the room is a disaster and I don't want her to see I say I'll go get her, or get the baby when I see the car pull up. But other times when I know it's looking good I tell her she can go back and wake her up herself just be quiet because others are sleeping. She's never ever disturbed any other sleepers.

I think of it from the parent's point of view, if it were ME as the parent I would WANT to be able to look around. I think they have a right to see the room their child is napping in at any time. IMO.
brookeroo 08:13 PM 08-14-2012
I can understand wanting to see the rooms that they sleep in. That is why I give a tour at the interview process. If I had roaches and a filthy house I could understand being concerned but my house (allbeit not always pristine...) but is fairly tidy for a daycare and having my own two children... I have a lot of people tell me they are surprised how clean I keep my house with all these kids as well as my family to look after.

Most of the parents I've had walk through the tours are done by the time they get through half the upper level anyway... they usually hold their hand up and say "that's alright we've seen enough. They are bedrooms we get it". So I'm not sure that it's really about being concerned about how I keep house.

I am good about doing laundry I am just not great about putting it away. I don't want to have to worry about people running around my house checking out my skivvies that may be sitting in a basket.

I'm thinking about putting something in my contract stating that tours are welcomed by making a request or during the interview but please refrain from any areas other than the main areas of the daycare unless invited otherwise.
sharlan 08:42 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Maybe it's just me but I don't mind parents coming into the nap room. Sometimes it's messy with my personal clean laundry baskets, or toys/books/etc. strewn about if I haven't finished an organizing project. I have a parent that has a scheduled pick up time during nap and so always walks into the house with curtains pulled and everyone asleep. She comes in absolutely quiet as a mouse. If the room is a disaster and I don't want her to see I say I'll go get her, or get the baby when I see the car pull up. But other times when I know it's looking good I tell her she can go back and wake her up herself just be quiet because others are sleeping. She's never ever disturbed any other sleepers.

I think of it from the parent's point of view, if it were ME as the parent I would WANT to be able to look around. I think they have a right to see the room their child is napping in at any time. IMO.
I'm with you. It has never phased me. I've never had a problem with my parents walking around in my house. My upstairs is off limits now to all daycare kids, even my grandkids that don't live here are restricted during daycare hours. But before, parents would walk up to get their kids that were watching tv or playing with my granddaugter.
PitterPatter 09:00 PM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
Does anyone else ever have a parent arrive unexpected during a nap and when you tell them they are sleeping the parent takes off through your house looking for them or following you to the room? I'm sorry but that drives me batty.

I get that this is a business but it is first my home and I still have a right to some privacy. I don't keep my house a mess but at times my family leaves laundry out... Including underwear ect. How do you all handle this?

I've had 3 parents do this in 3 months time. Each have had a tour during the interview. I just want to look at them and say... I'm sorry but I can handle this part of my job. Thank you!
Used to have that problem not anymore. Some parents dont want to take thier shoes off so that stops them at the front door. The other that liked to follow me I would say "Stay here for a sec I will get little tammy" I wouldnt allow her to roam through your house. Been there done that I took control. Good luck!
MsMe 08:04 AM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love the fact that I have a separate coatroom that blocks off the rest of my daycare area.

Parents are always welcome to come in but by invite only. They also tour my whole house during the interview process but generally once enrollment happens, the parent comes in and helps child remove coats and shoes and the child is the only one who comes past my half door.

I think it makes a HUGE difference in smooth drop offs/pick ups as well as simply forms a barrier as to not have to mix too many adults in with playing/sleeping/eating children.
Blackcat the only room in my daycare home I have not redone is my entry way. I am hoping to do it this Fall. The whole room is floor to celing panel yuk.

Like you I have a large room that the parents entry from the outside it has a hook for every one, a large board decorated with our theme, and the drying rack...I have long wanted a half door since I saw yours. My door had a large window at the top. I covered it with chalkboard paint and use it for happy birthdays and closing notices. Did you jsut cut the door in half or did you have to get a door designed to be half? I would love to keep the door I have.
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 08-15-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
Blackcat the only room in my daycare home I have not redone is my entry way. I am hoping to do it this Fall. The whole room is floor to celing panel yuk.

Like you I have a large room that the parents entry from the outside it has a hook for every one, a large board decorated with our theme, and the drying rack...I have long wanted a half door since I saw yours. My door had a large window at the top. I covered it with chalkboard paint and use it for happy birthdays and closing notices. Did you jsut cut the door in half or did you have to get a door designed to be half? I would love to keep the door I have.
Kept the door we had and DH cut it in half and installed bottom half as a regular door.

He recently took the door off my infant room and made it a half door as well.

We kept the entire door for this room though so I had the option of using it normally or as a half door.

I am a big fan of half doors.

Here is the door closed, the mechanism that makes it function as a half door and then a photo of the door open.
Crazy8 10:13 AM 08-15-2012
the house I grew up in had doors that split in half on all the kids bedrooms - it was a full door, but you can open just the top or the whole thing. I don't think they were even handmade, just bought that way.

OP.... If a parent even attempts to follow me upstairs I will stop them and say "you can wait here, I'll bring him down". I do have a foyer/drop area and there is a gate to the playroom where the bigger kids are sleeping so I don't have the issue really with them following me in there. Also, what I've started doing lately is having parents text me if they are coming during nap. I get child up when the parent tells me they are on their way so I can hand them right out the door without waking anyone else.
Tags:rude parents
Reply Up