Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would Anyone Want To Do This With Me?
Country Kids 01:39 PM 08-22-2012
Would anyone like to be penpals with my childcare? I think it would be neat to send postcards/letters and different things like that around to get to know different parts of the US and different people.

We could actually be penpals with everyone which I think would be fun! Just pm each other with our childcare's name and address and go from there!

Anyone up for this?

Also, I have a 13 year old daughter that would possibly like to be a penpal with anyone that has a daughter around the same age? Anyone have a daughter that would like to penpal with someone?
spud912 01:56 PM 08-22-2012
I don't know any 13-year olds, but I would love to do a daycare penpal!
Country Kids 01:58 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I don't know any 13-year olds, but I would love to do a daycare penpal!
I just pm'd you another question but pm me your address and we can go from there!

This is going to be so much fun!

Any other takers?
KBCsMommy 02:00 PM 08-22-2012
My daughter is 11 (almost 12 going on 15)and would love a penpal!! She has friends here in the neighborhood that they write letters back and forth during the summer.

Would that work for your daughter?
Country Kids 02:02 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
My daughter is 11 (almost 12 going on 15)and would love a penpal!! She has friends here in the neighborhood that they write letters back and forth during the summer.

Would that work for your daughter?
I'm sure it would! PM your address and we can go from there!
daycarediva 02:37 PM 08-22-2012
Most of my kids are non-writers, but I do have a SA dcg that would love this, she is almost 9 if you have a girl around the same age.
Country Kids 02:44 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Most of my kids are non-writers, but I do have a SA dcg that would love this, she is almost 9 if you have a girl around the same age.
I do! She's 8 would that work?

They aren't back from summer break but when they are (tomorrow) I'll see if she wants to.
countrymom 02:47 PM 08-22-2012
heck I've got 3 girls, 14, 12 and 8. Pick one. My girls love to do this stuff, not sure if you want to send to ontario. (the post office is across the street from me so its not a big deal for us)
Country Kids 02:49 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
heck I've got 3 girls, 14, 12 and 8. Pick one. My girls love to do this stuff, not sure if you want to send to ontario. (the post office is across the street from me so its not a big deal for us)
Send me your address!

She could write all three-maybe in a one letter but still this would be fun for her.
Countrygal 03:08 PM 08-22-2012
This is such a neat idea! I'd love to, but I'm not sure my kids would like to. I have an 8yo dcg who might be interested - I'll get back to you.

Have you ever considered doing a "round robin" letter? Where one daycare would write a letter, the next add on to it, and the next add on to them both and they just keep going around? That might be fun, especially for the pre-writing group? The daycare would all write the letter together and pass it on to the next daycare? Would this work? It's easier than writing to five different daycares, imo.
melskids 03:11 PM 08-22-2012
OMG! I was JUST looking for a penpal for my daycare yesterday morning! I will PM you my address!!! Count me in!!!

I am thinking of adopting a soldier and maybe a penpal from another country as well.....
Country Kids 03:16 PM 08-22-2012
I wasn't even actually thinking of the little kids writing so much but I guess we would write for them.

Ask them different things to write down, send pictures maybe, postcards.

I think once we got it going it would be easy to do.

So would everyone like to write each other also? What I can do is write everyone initially and then include everyones address to everyone if that makes sense.

Is that a go?
Former Teacher 06:17 PM 08-22-2012
I am SO in!

Although since I have no kids of my own I do crave the adult interaction!
Heidi 07:14 PM 08-22-2012
Ok....another idea you reminded me of..

Has anyone ever done a flat stanley?

The Project provides an opportunity for students to make connections with students of other member schools who have signed up with the project. Students begin by reading the book and becoming acquainted with the story. They create paper "Flat Stanleys" (representative drawings of the Stanley Lambchop character) and keep a journal for a few days, documenting the places and activities in which Flat Stanley is involved. Each student's Flat Stanley and its respective journal are mailed to other people who are asked to treat the figure as a visiting guest and add to his journal, then return them both after a period of time. The project has many similarities to the travelling gnome prank except, of course, for the Flat Stanley Project's focus on literacy.

www.flatstanley.com/

With everyone having digital cameras and printers now-a-days, it's fun to send pics of Stanley doing fun things along with the letters.

A few years ago, we got a flat Stanley, and (of course), lost him. We ended up taking pictures of him (months later) with a "family" we created, saying he was so sorry, but he was not comming home. He'd met someone special, and was starting a family.
PitterPatter 07:25 PM 08-22-2012
That's a great idea! I have a couple boys that may be interested, 10 and 8. We did Flat Stanley a couple years ago. Turned out great!
sahm2three 08:16 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Would anyone like to be penpals with my childcare? I think it would be neat to send postcards/letters and different things like that around to get to know different parts of the US and different people.

We could actually be penpals with everyone which I think would be fun! Just pm each other with our childcare's name and address and go from there!

Anyone up for this?

Also, I have a 13 year old daughter that would possibly like to be a penpal with anyone that has a daughter around the same age? Anyone have a daughter that would like to penpal with someone?
My daughter is 13. I will ask if she wants to be pen pals! My daycare kids are little though. So not sure if they would like to do anything other than maybe draw pictures for the other kids. That might be fun!
allieannarbor 08:40 PM 08-22-2012
We are a small preschool aged group but it would be fun to do an art exchange. We could send art and letters and such to eachother (and give instructions on the project too)

I also know craft bloggers who send care packages, nothing fancy or expensive, to eachother related to the craft they enjoy doing (because adults like mail too!).
spud912 10:42 PM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by allieannarbor:
We are a small preschool aged group but it would be fun to do an art exchange. We could send art and letters and such to eachother (and give instructions on the project too)
That's what I was thinking of. I watch a 7-year old girl (soon to be 8), but I rarely see her. The penpal thing would have to be amongst preschoolers doodling their funny pictures.
countrymom 05:21 AM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Ok....another idea you reminded me of..

Has anyone ever done a flat stanley?

The Project provides an opportunity for students to make connections with students of other member schools who have signed up with the project. Students begin by reading the book and becoming acquainted with the story. They create paper "Flat Stanleys" (representative drawings of the Stanley Lambchop character) and keep a journal for a few days, documenting the places and activities in which Flat Stanley is involved. Each student's Flat Stanley and its respective journal are mailed to other people who are asked to treat the figure as a visiting guest and add to his journal, then return them both after a period of time. The project has many similarities to the travelling gnome prank except, of course, for the Flat Stanley Project's focus on literacy.

www.flatstanley.com/

With everyone having digital cameras and printers now-a-days, it's fun to send pics of Stanley doing fun things along with the letters.

A few years ago, we got a flat Stanley, and (of course), lost him. We ended up taking pictures of him (months later) with a "family" we created, saying he was so sorry, but he was not comming home. He'd met someone special, and was starting a family.
my ds just did this in grade 4 (he's going into grade 5) it was fun, acually my girls had way more fun with it.
Reply Up