Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Is Open Today? - Canada Thanksgiving
daycarediva 03:36 AM 10-08-2012
I stayed open, but I keep getting phone calls saying that they aren't coming in! UGH! So far I have two kids that are definitely coming and one until lunch. Out of 8 kids! Next year I think I will just schedule it off.
DaisyMamma 03:44 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open. I have all my usual kids plus 4 school agers. It's going to be a long day.
MaritimeMummy 04:24 AM 10-08-2012
No way. I actually planned my vacation around today. No kids until next Tuesday!
EchoMom 04:26 AM 10-08-2012
Why wouldn't we be open today? What is today?!!!
SilverSabre25 04:33 AM 10-08-2012
Open as always. Only the gov't gets today off around here.

Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
Columbus Day

Ironic, isn't it :P
Springdaze 04:45 AM 10-08-2012
im open. i dont even consider closing. if my kids have school, how much of a holiday can it be!
Springdaze 04:46 AM 10-08-2012
kids next holiday is vote for a new president day! lol
SunflowerMama 05:13 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open but all the school around here are out today.

I'm might be down 2 or 3 kids but will have everyone else.
MyAngels 05:17 AM 10-08-2012
Columbus day in the US, but I think it's Thanksgiving in Canada (correct me if I'm wrong CA providers )

I'm open, but so far I'm down three kids.
sharlan 05:19 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open, business as usual here. Except for the fact that all the kids get out early every day this week.
Provider_Manda 06:10 AM 10-08-2012
Im open and only have 1 kid out of 8...Happy Monday
DaycareMomma 06:17 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open as usual. Only the banks are closed around here today!
Sunchimes 06:37 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open, but I just have one family right now, and their mom has the day off.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 10-08-2012
I thought the same thing.

Then I realized it is Columbus Day, but it has never been a day for closures around here unless you work at a government office or a bank.

I have two DCF's who work in those facilities and their kids are still scheduled to be here as well so Monday as usual.

Our schools are closed next week Thursday and Friday for MEA and then not again until Nov. 5 and 6 for teacher workshops and end of the quarter.
e.j. 07:00 AM 10-08-2012
I'm closed today. My husband and kids are working, though, so I have the house to myself. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet!!!
daycarediva 07:04 AM 10-08-2012
I ended up with 1 kid! School is closed today-wednesday here.

Now if I had closed... it would have been an issue for everyone, of course.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I ended up with 1 kid! School is closed today-wednesday here.

Now if I had closed... it would have been an issue for everyone, of course.
Were all your normal children actually scheduled to be there but then just called in the morning to say they weren't coming in?

If so, I surely hope you are still being paid for the day.

Hopefully your one child isn't one who is there from open to close so you at least get a shorter work day as well as a quieter one. Although sometimes having only one or a small group of kids is worse.
MaritimeMummy 07:23 AM 10-08-2012
It is Thanksgiving Day here in Canada. I had no idea it was Columbus Day in the US. I just assumed when the question was asked, that the OP was referring to being closed for Thanksgiving today. :-)
Willow 07:23 AM 10-08-2012
I am, but only have my bitty babies today and all they want to do is sleep sleep sleep. Must have been a busy weekend!
crazydaycarelady 07:27 AM 10-08-2012
I am open and all but 1 kid is here.
lilcupcakes09 07:34 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open, but most of the daycares around are closed.....had 2 out of 7 come this am, sent one of them home sick already, so just a little one who is into everything here! Plus I am missing conference day with my own child's teacher(have it scheduled at a later time), but I'm thinking next year this will be added to my holiday list considering most of my parents are govt workers.
Country Kids 07:38 AM 10-08-2012
Everything is open here today-everything. All my parents are teachers or work for some government agency and each on of them are working today.

I think when I was in school it was a day off but not anymore.
Breezy 07:40 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open. Dh is off though!!
Oneluckymom 08:05 AM 10-08-2012
Business as usual. My kids are in school as the schools in my area are all open.

Everyone is here today
Crazy8 08:24 AM 10-08-2012
I'm open, never closed for Columbus Day before. Our schools are open but other districts are closed. I have 2 kids here - both have at least one parent at home today. My other is a teacher in a school that is closed today and was grateful for the extra day with her child.
daycarediva 09:16 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Were all your normal children actually scheduled to be there but then just called in the morning to say they weren't coming in?

If so, I surely hope you are still being paid for the day.

Hopefully your one child isn't one who is there from open to close so you at least get a shorter work day as well as a quieter one. Although sometimes having only one or a small group of kids is worse.
Yes, all were scheduled and I have been paid for all of them.

I had another drop off (4 HOURS late) but he will be going home after nap and is a super easy kiddo.

My other one is a closer, but Mom is off and said she is coming to get him early.

They are both my easiest kids, but even so we finished everything early, got more outside time and both are good nappers too.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 10-08-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yes, all were scheduled and I have been paid for all of them.

I had another drop off (4 HOURS late) but he will be going home after nap and is a super easy kiddo.

My other one is a closer, but Mom is off and said she is coming to get him early.

They are both my easiest kids, but even so we finished everything early, got more outside time and both are good nappers too.
Well then, you can't ask for a better day than that!

Enjoy!!
mom2many 09:30 AM 10-08-2012
I am open and have 7 of my 8 kids today. I have 2 S/A here all day. Only one mom had it off, so everyone else came.
familyschoolcare 03:32 PM 10-08-2012
I am open, here school is in session and my husband that works for the county does not have it off.
Meyou 01:21 AM 10-09-2012
I was closed. I never open on Thanksgiving Monday. We put up halloween decorations.
DBug 04:12 AM 10-09-2012
The Monday has always been the day my side of the family does our big Thanksgiving dinner, so yep, I'm always closed Thanksgiving Monday .

It's a stat, all my parents get paid for it and they all have family plans for it every year anyway, and of course, I get paid for it too.

I love long weekends!
countrymom 05:32 AM 10-09-2012
I was closed too. i agree its a stat, I've never been open. Heck I close for black friday too so I can share in the joys of shopping with all you americans.
littlemissmuffet 08:07 AM 10-09-2012
I close all stats with pay
Love my long weekends!!
canadiancare 06:18 PM 10-10-2012
I was closed. I don't even understand why you would be open since stores, all offices etc. were closed as well. None of my parents had to work. (I am in Ontario, Canada)

I will be open on Remembrance day since most of my families are teachers and will have to work. I usually have a full house even with the kids of families that are off (gov't workers) as the parents use the day for Christmas shopping. (thanks, soldiers).
littlemissmuffet 10:04 PM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I was closed. I don't even understand why you would be open since stores, all offices etc. were closed as well. None of my parents had to work. (I am in Ontario, Canada)

I will be open on Remembrance day since most of my families are teachers and will have to work. I usually have a full house even with the kids of families that are off (gov't workers) as the parents use the day for Christmas shopping. (thanks, soldiers).

Where in Ontario? I'm in Saskatchewan and almost nothing closes here on Thankgiving except for government offices and banks. Almost all stores and resteraunts stay open here.
DBug 06:48 AM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Where in Ontario? I'm in Saskatchewan and almost nothing closes here on Thankgiving except for government offices and banks. Almost all stores and resteraunts stay open here.
That's odd . I wish stats were common all across Canada!

I'm near Barrie, Ontario, and stores and businesses are closed on Thanksgiving Monday. Restaurants, gas stations, etc. are open though.
canadiancare 07:04 AM 10-11-2012
here is a handy Canadian chart
Reply Up