Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Number One Most Annoying Thing In Business?
jojosmommy 01:30 PM 10-27-2013
What is your number one most annoying thing involved in running a daycare? Only one.... lol

Mine, getting ready for an interview and having the person no show with no call etc. How rude.... What are people thinking?
TwinKristi 01:39 PM 10-27-2013
Schedule changes. I have one family that currently changes their times and schedule frequently. I love them to death and really, after Jan they'll be my only "daycare" attendee so I wouldn't term over it. But mom and grandma have arrangements. It was 9-4, then 7-4, now we're at a 12-6 on some days but I never know which. He was sick last week and 2 weeks before that so it's been like one thing after another lately with schedules. Then Nana occasionally adds a day or 2 to my week so she can get work done and she pays for that since the other days are when mom works. LOL Oye... It gets confusing. Another family is after school and it's like a week by week arrangement because dad has a rotating schedule and moms in school.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 01:51 PM 10-27-2013
When you think that someone is very happy and that you will have their kido forever and then ... they give notice because they think they can juggle the kid between relatives and save money.
daycare 01:52 PM 10-27-2013
ok this is going to sound bad but my number one thing I hate about this business is:

Parents who don't follow my policies/rules
BumbleBee 02:41 PM 10-27-2013
Parents who don't listen to a thing I say.
Maggie 02:44 PM 10-27-2013
Parents who bring their kids to me on their days off and then say how much they miss them while their at work.
renodeb 02:49 PM 10-27-2013
Parents that pull there kids from my dc because they say they cant afford me and them go out shopping and buy fancy running shoes and go on trips out of town.
Deb
JoseyJo 02:51 PM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Maggie:
Parents who bring their kids to me on their days off and then say how much they miss them while their at work.

blandino 04:19 PM 10-27-2013
Parents who can't seem to grasp that I have multiple children to care for.
i.e. the DCM who was shocked that I didn't go into the bathroom with her 3.5 year old to make sure he puts his pull-up on correctly. That would mean me leaving 7 kids alone to ago assist a child with something he should be perfectly capable of doing by himself.

On the same note, Parents who don't have high enough expectations for the children. And parents who would rather save time and do things for their children rather than teach them how to do them.
LoraJenkins 04:24 PM 10-27-2013
Parents who quit their jobs and go from FT to technically drop-in with no notice. Then I get an "I'm sorry about the drop in hours". Yeah well, I'm sorry I am going to fill you FT spot ASAP and will not have room for your child !!!! Going through this right now.
Josiegirl 04:56 PM 10-27-2013
Only one?? That's cruel.
Hmmm, I think it'd have to be the parents who are very concerned with how they're going to pay for daycare, yet are the ones with the most expensive 'toys', expensive clothes, new car, nice trips, yada yada.
Josiegirl 04:58 PM 10-27-2013
You did mean one per reply right?
Also, the parents who get time off but their kid comes anyways. It happens so often and makes me so sad. Granted if I wanted the day off, I'd take it(course I'd lose pay) but I know these kids would be much happier in their own home with their parents.
PitterPatter 05:37 PM 10-27-2013
Rude parents who don't let me know their children aren't coming. MANY times I have gone to school to pick them up and they aren't there. I stand there waiting until everyone leaves, then go ask for them only to find out they never even went to school. Wasted trip, wasted time, lost money, and it really pisses me off when it's raining out and I have to take toddlers out in it for nothing! I text or call DCM to get things like "oh forgot to tell you they are sick" How about SORRY!!! AND usually they aren't sick they tell me the next day DCM just didn't want to get up so they played all day. Oh and the icing on that poop cake is they are state assisted so I can't fine them for no show, it's just a total loss for the day for TWO spots EVERY time!
PitterPatter 05:42 PM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Also, the parents who get time off but their kid comes anyways. It happens so often and makes me so sad. Granted if I wanted the day off, I'd take it(course I'd lose pay) but I know these kids would be much happier in their own home with their parents.
I have 1 that does that A LOT! She gets tons of time off don't know how... Anyway I don't mind her taking off and bringing the child because they don't do anything together anyway but days that I am sick and could close early or that child is my only one then I am angry when I find out she played or shopped all day while I worked sick to take care of her child. Not worth it for what sometimes comes down to $2.00 per hour
BrooklynM 06:12 PM 10-27-2013
Paperwork. Not the paperwork for the state- that I'm fine with that ,its the paperwork for taxes- saving receipts, etc. OMG I need to get a grip on it!

I'm pretty easy going on everything else. I don't have any bad parents and I love the babies!
cheerfuldom 06:31 PM 10-27-2013
Prospective clients that have unreasonable expectations of childcare. It is so time consuming to weed thru all these people and questions but thankfully, I am good at that now and rarely have to deal with them from current dc parents.

Everyone wants a lot of hours for dirt cheap prices, all supplies included, plus curriculum and fancy extras. I cant tell you how many people lately have asked for sign language, a second language, special diets (not allergies just special requests), therapy here at my home (I can work around some of it but I am not going to coordinate everything for your child!), hard core school curriculum, music or other lessons, ap style parenting where every person expects their child to be held or worn constantly, asking not only for no CIO but also no crying, care on weekends or night, date nights, etc, etc.

it is exhausting to weed thru all the special requests to find a good daycare families!
SSWonders 06:35 PM 10-27-2013
Having vacant spots that I can't fill.
Unregistered 07:04 PM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
Parents who quit their jobs and go from FT to technically drop-in with no notice. Then I get an "I'm sorry about the drop in hours". Yeah well, I'm sorry I am going to fill you FT spot ASAP and will not have room for your child !!!! Going through this right now.
I just went through this! Mom got "laid off" went to part time 2 days a week. Then changed it to 1 day a week. She put him in preschool 4 days a week (free) to get a break (her words) she couldn't handle the child full time. She wanted me to hold a full time position for her and be ok with me loosing all that income. Then to too it off my husband ran into her at the grocery store and she told him that unemployment gives her almost as much as she was making minus paying for daycare so she has no reason to get another job. TERM! It still upset me.
Kimskiddos 07:34 PM 10-27-2013
Definitely inconsiderate parents that don't call or text and never stick to a consistent drop off time. Drives me nuts to wait around for a child that may or may not show up somewhere between 8:30 to 11:00am.
Patches 08:50 PM 10-27-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
ok this is going to sound bad but my number one thing I hate about this business is:

Parents who don't follow my policies/rules
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Parents who don't listen to a thing I say.
Originally Posted by renodeb:
Parents that pull there kids from my dc because they say they cant afford me and them go out shopping and buy fancy running shoes and go on trips out of town.
Deb
Originally Posted by blandino:
i.e. the DCM who was shocked that I didn't go into the bathroom with her 3.5 year old to make sure he puts his pull-up on correctly. That would mean me leaving 7 kids alone to ago assist a child with something he should be perfectly capable of doing by himself.

On the same note, Parents who don't have high enough expectations for the children. And parents who would rather save time and do things for their children rather than teach them how to do them.
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
Only one?? That's cruel.
Hmmm, I think it'd have to be the parents who are very concerned with how they're going to pay for daycare, yet are the ones with the most expensive 'toys', expensive clothes, new car, nice trips, yada yada.
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Rude parents who don't let me know their children aren't coming. MANY times I have gone to school to pick them up and they aren't there. I stand there waiting until everyone leaves, then go ask for them only to find out they never even went to school. Wasted trip, wasted time, lost money, and it really pisses me off when it's raining out and I have to take toddlers out in it for nothing! I text or call DCM to get things like "oh forgot to tell you they are sick" How about SORRY!!! AND usually they aren't sick they tell me the next day DCM just didn't want to get up so they played all day. Oh and the icing on that poop cake is they are state assisted so I can't fine them for no show, it's just a total loss for the day for TWO spots EVERY time!
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
Definitely inconsiderate parents that don't call or text and never stick to a consistent drop off time. Drives me nuts to wait around for a child that may or may not show up somewhere between 8:30 to 11:00am.
Hmmmmm, I believe I'm starting to sense a trend here
My answer is all of the above
daycare 09:06 PM 10-27-2013
I always say jokingly. If you find a bus load of orphans send them my way. I'll take them all.

I didn't want to say it. Lol
e.j. 05:42 AM 10-28-2013
Not being paid on time.
Familycare71 05:55 AM 10-28-2013
^^^^ . All of it!!!

Right now it is varied drop offs... I would like to start my day and not sit in holding pattern until you decide to drop your kid off!! A reminder note will be going out soon!

Also a specific one... I had a mom pull her pt SA and ft pre-schooler to stay home with grandma (who didnt even want them!) and went on and on and on! about how sad she was they wouldn't be here and how she would bring them if there was any possible way... Blah blah blah- apparently the financial hardship was she wanted a new car!!!
Tdhmom 07:45 AM 10-28-2013

Blackcat31 07:51 AM 10-28-2013
diapers/diaper changing. ANYTHING diaper related.

That is the ONLY part of the day that I cannot "fake" enjoyment or even willingness of any kind.

daycarediva 08:07 AM 10-28-2013
Only one? No fair!

Late pick ups! I am SICK TO DEATH of them, especially when they don't communicate and I am waiting around forever for them to p/u and only ONE child is left. DRIVES ME CRAZY!

Wish I could term, but it would put me in a bind financially and there is a dry spell here.
Moppetland 08:11 AM 10-28-2013
When parents arrive on Monday without your fees, saying they forgot, but they didn't forget to show up with their child.
TwinKristi 08:33 AM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Oh this happened to me once and I was so mad I was shaking. I had an extra baby that day and made special arrangements to have mom bring a seat and packed up 3 infants and a toddler to go get her son and waited there for 15 min, no answer on her phone... Someone finally told me that she picked him up and left 15 mins earlier. ugh I don't think I've ever been so mad at a DCM. And to think this mom is my friend!!
TwinKristi 08:39 AM 10-28-2013

For reals!!! I had a DCB (hmm, same one I just complained about!) who's in 1st grade and cannot tie his own shoes, can barely figure out which one is R & L, doesn't know but maybe 5 letters (not even the ones in his name!) and can't read at all. Mom was so worried about going from a SAHM to working FT yet has time to run 6mi a day, go shopping for herself, get lunch with friends, go out for drinks with friends at night... Yet your kid knows very little of what he should know. Maybe spend more time with your kids?!? Maybe?
Msdunny 08:52 AM 10-28-2013
The kids who come in sick and mom tries to cover it or tell me when I call, "she wasn't sick this morning." Or the child that tells me about her yummy medicine this morning. Or the drop off today where I was told, "she's teething". I think that was to head off the fever text she got later - temp was only 99.5 but I am sure I'll see higher after naptime.

I know I can end this with a 3 strikes you're out policy, but I don't have a waiting list and haven't received a call in a while. I send them home every.single.time, but it still doesn't stop the dope and drops.

I cannot understand a mom (or dad in some cases) who can't take a day or two, or even a week if necessary, to take care of their own sick child! And before you tell me that times are hard and folks have to work, none of my families are struggling. They are all simply career driven and can't let kids get in the way.

Other than that, things are peachy!
Soccermom 09:15 AM 10-28-2013
Parents bringing their kids to me when they are off or picking up 3 hours after they finish work.

Makes me angry. You gave birth to them so take care of them. I am here to provide care for your child while you make a living not raise your child for you!
Laurel 10:48 AM 10-28-2013
The old "I forgot my checkbook" excuse.

I wish we could say two!!!!

Laurel
WImom 10:50 AM 10-28-2013
Having a hard time filling spots. I hate the up and down financially in this business. A close 2nd would be parents not following my policies.
melilley 11:16 AM 10-28-2013
The parent who thinks her kids have everything under the sun and if I mention one little thing it gets all blown out of proportion and it's because they "have" something that they don't have.

I have a parent who thinks her kids have everything from autism to allergies etc.. without ANY medical documentation, which I've asked for (with the exception of an intolerance). Like a form of Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome. She doesn't make them sick, but says they have everything. Poor kids.
My3cents 11:18 AM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

That is the ONLY part of the day that I cannot "fake" enjoyment or even willingness of any kind.

I am so used to that, doesn't even bother me- puke on the other hand. NO THANKS!!!
MarinaVanessa 11:20 AM 10-28-2013
Having to chase my money.
My3cents 11:22 AM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
The old "I forgot my checkbook" excuse.

I wish we could say two!!!!

Laurel
someone a while back posted asking the parents to leave a blank check for times like these- good idea. I think if it was happening often I would do this or ask to be paid one week ahead.
CedarCreek 11:22 AM 10-28-2013
Same as some others-

Kiddos who come when their parents have the day off or get off early. I understand every once in a while but EVERY day off? Come on parents, your kids need you.
Unregistered 02:10 PM 10-28-2013
Maybe for the being paid on time problem you could have a folder that goes home with kiddos on Thursday night, ( if your pay day is Fri.) , and have some info about what is happening next week, ( field trips, lunch menu, crafts you are planning) and have a " parents homework" sheet. You could include in that page : Bring old t- shirt for messy craft on Monday, next week we are covering the letter M, have Johnny bring a small item that tarts with M . Tuition for next week is due Friday, please enclose a check with Johnny`s folder tomorrow. I don't know how it will work, but mom or dad may write the check out that evening and bring it with the folder the next day. One can hope...
spud912 02:46 PM 10-28-2013

I think that's me too! Ugh....the poopy diapers kill me! One of the main reasons I think I'm just not cut out for babies and why I much prefer (potty-trained) preschoolers.
Laurel 05:09 PM 10-28-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
someone a while back posted asking the parents to leave a blank check for times like these- good idea. I think if it was happening often I would do this or ask to be paid one week ahead.
I love those ideas. Right now I don't have that problem but have had it in the past. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

You've gotta wonder how they would feel if their boss said "Oops, do you mind if I pay you tomorrow? I forgot the check book."

Laurel
Unregistered 07:19 PM 10-28-2013
I use childcarepay and pull out my tablet if parents forget to pay. "Here, do it now!"

BUT before that I told parents they could leave 1 check with me OR leave it in their glove box. That way their was NO excuse. You might not be smart enough to remember but, I am smart enough to make it obvious I will get paid!
countrymom 05:44 AM 10-29-2013
I think what bothers me the most, is how little parents want to spend time with kids.

this weekend, I had one family call another family to ask if thier kids could play together because mom was out and dad didn't know what to do with them
another family picks up after 5pm and puts them to bed at 730pm, acually I have 2 families like this.
I think this is the biggest eye opener ever, and yet here I sit to be home with my kids so I can be with them.
jenn 06:24 AM 10-29-2013
Tie between

-parents following policies, I enforce them and don't have trouble standing up to them, but it just gets old.

and

-looking to fill spots. I don't have a huge turnover, but it can be hard to fill a spot unless I am willing to take a newborn.
scarletto'hara 11:09 AM 10-29-2013
Parents just not being truthful .... "I forgot my checkbook", "child never acts that way at home", "child wasn't sick at all last night", "I didn't give them any medicine", "child is completely potty trained" ... NOT, etc. etc. IMO it gets worse year after year.
Tdhmom 11:43 AM 10-29-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I think what bothers me the most, is how little parents want to spend time with kids.

this weekend, I had one family call another family to ask if thier kids could play together because mom was out and dad didn't know what to do with them
another family picks up after 5pm and puts them to bed at 730pm, acually I have 2 families like this.
I think this is the biggest eye opener ever, and yet here I sit to be home with my kids so I can be with them.
. I had to call in sick last week due to my son vomiting the night before. So dcm stayed home with the kids for the day then drops them off the next morning explaining how daddy let them stay up late cause she wasn't home, so she's sorry if they're cranky.
They had to switch out. Her daughter is also the one that asks every day what time mommy is coming. There are many days I need a break, don't get me wrong. But an unexpected day home...take advantage of it with your children.
Bookworm 01:52 PM 10-29-2013

I don't own my own DC and this drives me crazy.
KidGrind 02:13 PM 10-31-2013
My FCC Director who lies and is harassing me.
cheerfuldom 05:47 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
^^^^ . All of it!!!

Right now it is varied drop offs... I would like to start my day and not sit in holding pattern until you decide to drop your kid off!! A reminder note will be going out soon!

Also a specific one... I had a mom pull her pt SA and ft pre-schooler to stay home with grandma (who didnt even want them!) and went on and on and on! about how sad she was they wouldn't be here and how she would bring them if there was any possible way... Blah blah blah- apparently the financial hardship was she wanted a new car!!!
holding pattern....that describes it perfectly. i would rather have kids dropped off at the crack of dawn than be waiting for people to show up at 10.
cheerfuldom 05:48 PM 10-31-2013

that is how i feel about spoon feeding. i hate spoon feeding daycare kids. i really dont mind the diapers beside two specific past kids that had seriously foul diapers. unbelievably disgusting.
cheerfuldom 05:52 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Maybe for the being paid on time problem you could have a folder that goes home with kiddos on Thursday night, ( if your pay day is Fri.) , and have some info about what is happening next week, ( field trips, lunch menu, crafts you are planning) and have a " parents homework" sheet. You could include in that page : Bring old t- shirt for messy craft on Monday, next week we are covering the letter M, have Johnny bring a small item that tarts with M . Tuition for next week is due Friday, please enclose a check with Johnny`s folder tomorrow. I don't know how it will work, but mom or dad may write the check out that evening and bring it with the folder the next day. One can hope...
no thats too much work. i just turn away from the door. do that one time and parents never forget again
Cat Herder 04:57 AM 11-01-2013
#1 Being Micro-Managed & Blackmailed by the State with no Benefits or Common Civil Rights.
Tags:annoying, business, pet peeve
Reply Up