Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Got Offered
JoseyJo 05:44 AM 01-09-2014
a job as an "assistant" in a group daycare!

I closed my own group daycare 12/31 and have been selling my daycare items. I have had lots of providers call and come by to buy items at it as been nice that all of them know of me (even though I don't know them) based on word of mouth, website, etc and they all say they loved our program.

This provider raved about how good our program was, asked why I closed and what I was going to do now. I told her nursing and she says "I tell you what- you'll NEVER make as much in the outside world as you do in daycare" I told her we ran w/ low ratios so we could offer all the great things we did so we really didn't make that much and I can def make more in the outside world.

She then goes on to say she lost her assistant and since her yearly inspection is due anytime she really needs to get back into ratio so she has been looking high and low for an assistant. I start to think maybe it would be worth it since she says daycare pays so well... Then she tells me the hours will be 9-4 M-F (mostly, w/ some late/early hours and maybe weekends) salaried at 10,000 a year Oh! And I would be self employed, she can't afford to pay that rate if she has to pay employer taxes too...

I guess her idea of how much you can make in the "outside world" and mine are much different- her rate comes out to be less than minimum wage, even if I only worked her min hours...

Just had to share!
VTMom 05:55 AM 01-09-2014
Wow! What a deal!

That comes out to $5.95 assuming 20 days off for vacation and holidays assuming those are unpaid. Paid for 35 hours for 52 weeks comes to a whopping $5.50. What would you do with all that money!
LaLa1923 05:59 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
a job as an "assistant" in a group daycare!

I closed my own group daycare 12/31 and have been selling my daycare items. I have had lots of providers call and come by to buy items at it as been nice that all of them know of me (even though I don't know them) based on word of mouth, website, etc and they all say they loved our program.

This provider raved about how good our program was, asked why I closed and what I was going to do now. I told her nursing and she says "I tell you what- you'll NEVER make as much in the outside world as you do in daycare" I told her we ran w/ low ratios so we could offer all the great things we did so we really didn't make that much and I can def make more in the outside world.

She then goes on to say she lost her assistant and since her yearly inspection is due anytime she really needs to get back into ratio so she has been looking high and low for an assistant. I start to think maybe it would be worth it since she says daycare pays so well... Then she tells me the hours will be 9-4 M-F (mostly, w/ some late/early hours and maybe weekends) salaried at 10,000 a year Oh! And I would be self employed, she can't afford to pay that rate if she has to pay employer taxes too...

I guess her idea of how much you can make in the "outside world" and mine are much different- her rate comes out to be less than minimum wage, even if I only worked her min hours...

Just had to share!

I would LOVE to finish my RN degree!!
melilley 05:59 AM 01-09-2014
$10,000 a year?! Sorry, but .

She probably meant you could make more a year doing child care than in the outside world If you were full and by yourself with 6+++ kids.

My sis is a RN at our local hospital and makes 20+ an hour - the + is depending on if she is the charge nurse or not.

Good luck with the Nursing! My sister is in LOVE with her job and she works in on the floor that everyone hopes they don't get placed on!
sunlight 06:04 AM 01-09-2014
Some people are just unbelievable! I agree with the previous post. SHE would make all the money and you would do most of the work!! I think nursing is a great change. I have developed really chronic shoulder and arm pain from lifting kids all day long for the last 12 years and am slowly thinking of a change too. I just really love what I do and don't know if I could find something I love this much.

Best of luck to you!!
JoseyJo 06:07 AM 01-09-2014
Thanks guys! I won't be rolling in the dough yet- It will be a few years until I have my RN I am going to work as a CNA for a little while and get my CMA this spring/summer while I finish my classes for my RN. I have gotten quite a few leads on CNA positions in a hospital, dr's office, etc. I REALLY don't want to work in a nursing home, my back can't handle it and I have changed enough diapers for a while

I have been enjoying the "vacation" this week. I plan to take off Jan at least (out of savings) and Feb if I make enough to pay the bills that month w/ selling my daycare stuff. I have made almost $1000 so far and still have quite a bit left and my van left to sell so I may even be able to take off part of March!

On another note my just-grown daughter told me yesterday she got a job as a full time nanny. I guess growing up in a daycare must not have been that bad!
MCC 06:55 AM 01-09-2014
Wow, no wonder she can't "find" a new assistant!

Good luck with the nursing, a couple of my friends are nurses and they LOVE it.

Also- I got my stuff I ordered from you and my daughter flipped! It was so cute that you put in all the tissue paper, she was going crazy.
JoseyJo 07:05 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
Wow, no wonder she can't "find" a new assistant!

Good luck with the nursing, a couple of my friends are nurses and they LOVE it.

Also- I got my stuff I ordered from you and my daughter flipped! It was so cute that you put in all the tissue paper, she was going crazy.
LOL! I'm glad she loved it
TwinKristi 10:29 AM 01-09-2014
Wow! Big buck eh? LOL I didn't make a whole lot this year but only had 2 kids 3-4 days a week, one FT for about 6wks and one 1-2 days a week part of the year. Less than $30k. But if I worked outside the home and had to pay for daycare i'd have made waaaaay less.
Reply Up