Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moving- How To Put In Notice?
Oats&Ivy 06:11 AM 07-29-2014
So I am in the ending stages of buying my first home, out of town. This Friday marks 2 weeks until closing, so I need to notify them this week. I just don't know HOW to do it. Send a letter home with them? Tell them face to face? I am kind of a shy person so I guess I am just not sure how to word it if I tell them face to face. I am better with my words in writing, but it seems like I shouldn't do that. I am honestly sad to lose both families, they've mostly been really good families and I hate to put the stress of finding a new provider on them, in a small town with hardly any options... but on to better things, ya know?

Anyways, just asking for some advice. I've never had to put in a 2 week notice, not ever in my 3.5 years operating!
mountainside13 06:14 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Oats&Ivy:
So I am in the ending stages of buying my first home, out of town. This Friday marks 2 weeks until closing, so I need to notify them this week. I just don't know HOW to do it. Send a letter home with them? Tell them face to face? I am kind of a shy person so I guess I am just not sure how to word it if I tell them face to face. I am better with my words in writing, but it seems like I shouldn't do that. I am honestly sad to lose both families, they've mostly been really good families and I hate to put the stress of finding a new provider on them, in a small town with hardly any options... but on to better things, ya know?

Anyways, just asking for some advice. I've never had to put in a 2 week notice, not ever in my 3.5 years operating!
I'm in Iowa too! If it was me, I would tell them face to face and give them a letter. Will you be opening your daycare after you move?
Good luck!
Oats&Ivy 06:20 AM 07-29-2014
I'm actually in Illinois, I'm not sure if that was a mistake when I signed up or what?! lol! But anyways, I am moving about 1.5 hours away, and I will be re-opening. But obviously due to the distance, they will not be enrolling in the new home.

My problem is that I don't know HOW to start off the conversation. "Like hey guys guess what?!" I mean, they know I've had some issues with the land-lady of our current home, but again I just don't know how to bring it up.
SignMeUp 06:28 AM 07-29-2014
I would hand them the formal letter, as I said something.
Like: I'm really sorry to let you know this ... (maybe a little pause to let them take in that something is happening) ... I'm going to be moving.

Give more detail if you are inclined (like where you're moving to or why) but only verbally. The letter will confirm the closing date, so that they have that in their hands.
Second Home 06:39 AM 07-29-2014
A formal letter and I would speak to them when giving the letter .
Oats&Ivy 06:40 AM 07-29-2014
Here is what I just typed up. Anything else you'd add?

Dear Parents,
It is with a heavy heart I am writing today to put in my two week notice as your childcare provider.
As you may recall, I’ve mentioned some issues I’ve had with this home and with the land-lady not being keen to fix the issues in a reasonable amount of time. For this reason, I had a plan that I would begin looking for houses in the area before the fall/winter of 2014. After much searching, there just was nothing in my price range and size in the area. So, I expanded my search and spent some time searching for a home back in XYZ, where I lived before moving here.
As you can imagine, I did end up finding a home in XYZ that I am very excited about. Closing is set for August 15, meaning my last day doing daycare will be Thursday, August 14.
I have enjoyed my time with your children immensely and am quite sad to no longer be taking care of them. I know you will find someone who will take care of and love your children as if they were their own, as I did.
MotherNature 07:06 AM 07-29-2014
sounds good o me. Congrats on your first home!
spud912 07:19 AM 07-29-2014
The letter sounds great! Congratulations on the new home!
Oats&Ivy 07:28 AM 07-29-2014
Thanks! I am excited but so nervous!
NightOwl 07:29 AM 07-29-2014
I like it!
hope 07:32 AM 07-29-2014
Congratulations on your first home! The letter sounds great and I'm sure your families will miss you and I hope they can be happy for you also.
Unregistered 07:59 AM 07-29-2014
I'd add the actual last day. And, since you are giving them lots of info I would also add in how you plan to process this with the kids and when, as in, we'll do a lot of talking the last few days , and have a little goodbye party on (date).
Reply Up