Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daily Blowouts...
Kabob 07:21 AM 01-26-2015
My own 7 month old dd has been having daily blowouts the past few weeks and it has become a problem...I'm hoping to get some suggestions to help solve or at least minimize the issue so it doesn't cause so much of a mess during daycare. It has gotten to the point where she has an explosive completely liquid bowel movement that goes up her back and out the sides and up her belly. This is a daily ritual that results in me rushing her to the bathroom the moment she poops and then having to sanitize everything and then cleaning her and then changing her and cleaning up the poopy clothes. It is a process that is a huge hindrance for daycare.

She is breastfed but I haven't changed my diet other than to eliminate foods that I thought might be irritating her (i.e., dairy, eggs).

She is on some solids and it doesn't matter if she eats more or less solids. The poops are still horrible.

I upped her diaper size to 2 sizes bigger than she needs and she still has blowouts due to the liquid nature of her poops.

I'm at a loss...what else can I do?
jenboo 07:45 AM 01-26-2015
I had a DCG doing this for almost a month every diaper change here and at home. Never figured out why, but it suddenly stopped. I doubled up her diapers. She wore a size 3 so I put her in that and then a size 4 on top. Made sure a big bum but it worked! Anything that leaked out the 3 was caught by the 4.
Givingthemgrace 08:52 AM 01-26-2015
If you are willing to try cloth diapers, that would probably work. When they fit well, there are rarely ever blowouts. Otherwise the double diapering sounds worth a shot.
Cradle2crayons 09:35 AM 01-26-2015
Would you have anything against using a probiotic?

Culturelle is wonderful
Kabob 12:40 PM 01-26-2015
I'm willing to try anything at this point. She had 2 blowouts this morning which made for messy cleanup during the busiest parts of my day with crabby kiddos...

Double diapers didn't work but I'm seriously considering cloth diapers especially after cloth diapering dcm saw me cleaning up the mess and commented that she had the same problem until switching to cloth.

Will look into probiotics. Not sure what else in her (my) diet could be affecting her. I know if I have any kind of dairy she projectile spits up so maybe there is a diet issue I'm missing. I can't wait to wean her at this rate...
jenboo 01:17 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Kabob:
I'm willing to try anything at this point. She had 2 blowouts this morning which made for messy cleanup during the busiest parts of my day with crabby kiddos...

Double diapers didn't work but I'm seriously considering cloth diapers especially after cloth diapering dcm saw me cleaning up the mess and commented that she had the same problem until switching to cloth.

Will look into probiotics. Not sure what else in her (my) diet could be affecting her. I know if I have any kind of dairy she projectile spits up so maybe there is a diet issue I'm missing. I can't wait to wean her at this rate...
thats crazy the double diapers didnt work!
Cloth definitely keeps just about everything in.
If dairy messes with her, maybe its the lactose. Have you googled foods with lactose? Its in so many things you wouldn't think of.
Lunch meats
hot dogs
instant coffee
some granola bars
salad dressings
artificial sweetener
bread
candy
medication...
the list goes on. This website has a good list of things that could have hidden lactose.
http://www.godairyfree.org/food-and-...o/hidden-dairy
katzan 01:24 PM 01-26-2015
I cloth diapered my babies. One month, I was so busy and just relied on disposables. A blow out every single time. I went back to cloth very quickly. Rarely ever have blow outs with cloth.
daycare 02:14 PM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Would you have anything against using a probiotic?

Culturelle is wonderful
I love love love this stuff...I am hardly sick and digest my food better with it
AmyKidsCo 06:22 PM 01-26-2015
I had a DCB do that until he was a year old and off breastmilk and formula.

He mostly blew out up his butt crack, so when I was desperate I'd double diaper him... I put 1 diaper on normally, then put the other on sideways around his waist, overlapping the normal diaper and closing the tab towards the bottom. The top tab I left open. The second diaper went almost up to his armpits in back so it caught everything that tried to squish up there.

Since your DD blows out all over, what if you used a regular sized diaper and put one 2 sizes too big over it?

Not to be gross, but is her poo normal, or stringy and mucousy? My boys couldn't handle ANY casein in my diet - they'd have stringy/mocousy blow outs. You really have to read labels, it hides in EVERYTHING!
Kabob 05:33 AM 01-27-2015
Sigh...maybe I gotta try cutting more foods out of my diet then. My ds never had poops like these...

They're basically just liquid. No consistency to them whatsoever. Dr suggested the diet thing starting with dairy. That helped with the spit up but not poops.

I tried the regular double diaper idea but I didn't think to try the sideways double diaper! Trying that now.

I'm looking into probiotics and cloth diapers. Any recommendations for types of cloth diapers?

Seriously....this shouldn't be a daily ritual...if she were a daycare baby I'd be sending her home every day for her horrible poops...
CraftyMom 07:44 AM 01-27-2015
I'll have to remember that sideways diaper idea!

My 6 month old dc baby had blowouts daily, up his back. Finally slowed down now that mom only bf's at night.
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 01-27-2015
One of my daycare moms cloth diapers. She uses these. I them!!

http://www.amazon.com/Blowout-Blocke.../dp/B00CVG9CRS

As far as recommendations for which cloth diapers to try, my only suggestion is to buy the type that have an elastic back to them.
Attached: 61QQi72mt+L._SX522_.jpg (20.7 KB) 
Kabob 05:40 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
One of my daycare moms cloth diapers. She uses these. I them!!

http://www.amazon.com/Blowout-Blocke.../dp/B00CVG9CRS

As far as recommendations for which cloth diapers to try, my only suggestion is to buy the type that have an elastic back to them.
Interesting idea! Cute name.

I talked to dh about it and he is very skeptical. I got him to agree to at least let me test drive it for a bit...gotta get a hold of some cloth diapers before he changes his mind.
Tags:blow outs
Reply Up