Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Will Parents Do with Pre-k Kids?
Josiegirl 01:53 AM 04-11-2016
I know each state is different as far as ratios they allow. But in my state, we can have 6 FT and 4 after school. But when summer starts we can have 10 FT(with a written variance), as long as the SA have completed K. So what are dcs and parents going to do with their child who has been in prek all year FT and dc cannot hold spots for them through out the year?? Can everyone else see this causing a dilemma?
Just one more reason universal prek will be a challenge.
snbauser 03:38 AM 04-11-2016
Here most prek'ers stay where they are until they start Kindy. I know I had similar issues. We can have up to 5 preschool and younger + 3 school agers. I typically care for school employee families. That means they usually need care starting the week before school starts because of the teacher workdays. And here our licensing doesn't count the kids as "school age" until they have attended their first day of school. That ends up meaning the family waiting to start Kindy has to find care for the week before because the new prechoolers come in and take the spots that week.
daycarediva 04:45 AM 04-11-2016
I keep all of my kids until they go to K, and then they graduate out either in June or Sept. They are considered SA in my state the day after school gets out for the summer.

If they were to attend UPK, I would require a full payment, because they are taking a FT space. That is also how all providers in my area handle it. UPK here is only 9-11, and they have many days where there is no UPK. Parents get UPK for free, so most parents are either willing to pay the ft rate or just stick with private prek.
Unregistered 09:09 AM 04-11-2016
We don't have any special variances for summer in CA. Everyone has to pay big bucks for summer day camps here. One week at a time for $350/week at special places like zoos, UC, museums, etc. The people who qualify get super cheap discount scholarships. Those who don't qualify, but don't have thousands for camps (which are actually just short term child care), are pretty much screwed if they are a two income family and have to work. They just have to pay, rake off some time, and piece together childcare wherever they can.
Play Care 09:25 AM 04-11-2016
I have a couple of kiddos that attend our local private preK. They pay me FT tuition. In my case the parents expect that they'll pay FT because our school is three days a week for a couple of hours, with many more days off than regular school. I do see where parents of all day UPK kids or even head start kids could find themselves without care come summer, longer breaks.
Josiegirl 09:31 AM 04-11-2016
Here preschool is full day, 5 days a week, which of course the parents love because it's free dc for them and they don't pay to come here. But then come summer, many parents are in a bind for dc.
So UPK isn't ft everywhere? My current dcm asked if her dd could go to prek a couple days a week and they told her no, it's all or nothing.
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 04-11-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Here preschool is full day, 5 days a week, which of course the parents love because it's free dc for them and they don't pay to come here. But then come summer, many parents are in a bind for dc.
So UPK isn't ft everywhere? My current dcm asked if her dd could go to prek a couple days a week and they told her no, it's all or nothing.
We don't have UPK here at all. Most preschools operate either M,W,F or T/Th and only half days.

As for the preschoolers in your area, if they've been getting UPK for free 5 days a week, they should easily be able to pay to hold the spaces since they've had no child care expenses throughout the year.

Also as harsh as this may sound, I don't even involve myself in whatever predicaments families with preschoolers have to deal with because I don't offer discounted spaces/days/rates for anyone so making sure care arrangements are secure, in place and/or paid for it on the family not me.
Cat Herder 11:24 AM 04-11-2016
Here *tax payer funded* Pre kinder is free BUT only until lunch time. After that parents have to pay which ever daycare is hosting the program their full tuition if they need full time care aka "After Care".

There are not enough slots to meet demand so a lottery system is in place. Financial "need" (income based) first, even though it is funded by tax payers rubs many the wrong way.

Most home daycare rates around here are cheaper than "after care", but few will take those coming in during naptime.

Even fewer are willing to transport or offer the reduced rates parents feel they should get since "they are only with you half day". In the summer they are on their own EXCEPT they can still go to the center for tax payer sponsored meals, with a parent.
Thriftylady 11:38 AM 04-11-2016
PreK is half day here. But it isn't free. Here is it $175 a month at the elementary IF you get your child a spot. Most of the parents here refuse to pay it. But then you still have to pay daycare. I did pick up for pre K for awhile this year. I won't be doing that again. The lil one was allowed to get on the bus with her siblings, but I had to pick up at 11:30. To much hassle!
Unregistered 12:02 PM 04-11-2016
Here, lottery funded preK is full day (just like school). Some of them are in elementary schools, and some of them are in daycare centers, which offer before and after care.

Our state counts kids as SA from the time the summer before kindergarten, though, so that's helpful.
Cat Herder 12:19 PM 04-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Here, lottery funded preK is full day (just like school). Some of them are in elementary schools, and some of them are in daycare centers, which offer before and after care.
We have a few of those here, too. Mostly in the districts deemed "at risk". The program is supposed to expand greatly in the coming years as well. Eventually they hope to include K-3.

That is going to be a huge blow to the industry as they keep raising adult to child ratios. I can't even imagine what it will do in states that already changed to infant = 2 and under.
Unregistered 04:29 PM 04-12-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It probably will be soon. Here once they turn three, they can start UPK. I know the hs take children who like a year or 18 months, but that's for low income only. Here, NJ, the UPK is all summer long. Summer school (for the kinder and up crowd) seems to be creeping to full day. I don't know how the state is paying that, because the teachers have to get time and a half. Where as the aides run the summer session of UPK (here anyway) and get minimum wage for that time.
Tags:school age, universal preschool, upk
Reply Up