Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Know Why This Bothers Me
DCMomOf3 10:24 AM 03-10-2011
I have a DCG who at nap time will just stare at me. I tell her to close her eyes and go to sleep/rest. She will do it for a few seconds but then starts looking at me again. I really don't know why i am bothered but it just gets to me.
daycare 10:28 AM 03-10-2011
lol shes giving you the evilo eye... I had a girl that did that too me... it was kinda creepy... lol she would just glare at me and say nothing...

I was just talking about it the other day.. I realized that I did it to her when she was doing someting wrong, instead of always having to say please dont do that. I guess she felt like she wanted to give me the eye back....lol
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 03-10-2011
I have one that does that too and I swear it drives me batty....I try to position her in a spot where her view is limited because in my case, this little one (she is 4 yrs old) is just being nosey.

I am glad to hear someone else has the same issue though...I was beginning to think I had the only kid who did that.
tenderhearts 10:45 AM 03-10-2011
Talk about creepy, I had a 2 yr old that slept with her eyes open, freaked me out, parents never told me and it really alarmed me. I thought she wasn't ok at first. So after I found it out she did that, it was so strange going in there and checking on her and she'd be asleep but staring right at me
QualiTcare 10:46 AM 03-10-2011
can you have her lie down where she's facing the wall?
QualiTcare 10:47 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Talk about creepy, I had a 2 yr old that slept with her eyes open, freaked me out, parents never told me and it really alarmed me. I thought she wasn't ok at first. So after I found it out she did that, it was so strange going in there and checking on her and she'd be asleep but staring right at me
i've had a couple kids do that and i'd close their eyes! my son doesn't do it normally, but he has had his eyes partially open before and i'd shut them. it's freaky.
momatheart 10:47 AM 03-10-2011
put her next to a wall on and tell her to face the wall. That is what I do. Or sit right by her and stare her down, LOL
DCMomOf3 10:52 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
can you have her lie down where she's facing the wall?
I have tried but she will fidget SOO much that I need her right by me so I can keep whispering to her to settle down and rest. She is very tired and gets uber crabby with out full sleep, but she just fights so hard to settle down.

I think she stares at me to try to get my attention. It's not the evil eye, I know, because she gives me that when I put her on time out
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 03-10-2011
Maybe you could buy her one of those sleep masks that covers the eyes? Tell her it's a special princess mask that will help her have a good rest.

They usually buy into anything princess related..LOL!!
kidkair 12:16 PM 03-10-2011
Maybe you could get one of those oil and water toys where the oil moves slowly through the water when you turn it upside down and have her watch that. Watching something like that may help soothe her and help her sleep better. Or my favorite thing to do is read a chapter book out loud until they fall asleep.
Candyland 06:46 PM 03-10-2011
awww; It seems to me that she's just wanting to make sure she's not missing out on anything. But, I like Kidkair's idea!
EightIsEnuff 07:57 AM 03-11-2011
I think your post is hilarious! It seems like every child in my care has a "thing" (including my own kids!) One of them has a really high-pitched voice and always makes cat, dog and baby noises that make me want to drag my own nails across a chalkboard! A DCB3, whom I LOVE dearly, is very feminine and walks around on his toes with his fists clenched going "buh, buh, buh, buh, buh" with increasing intensity - ALL DAY! A DCG4 gives answers to questions that make ZERO sense (i.e. Q: "What is your favorite color?" Her answer: "My mom is very bootiful.")

I've just started laughing at these things instead of letting my blood boil. But, I can't help but think that these are the future leaders of America....hahahahaha!
p.s. I like the eye cover idea that says princess!

Good Luck!
MissAnn 08:28 AM 03-11-2011
That freaks me out! I always seem to have one. I just try to place them where they can't have a direct view of me.
R&R 07:51 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
put her next to a wall on and tell her to face the wall. That is what I do. Or sit right by her and stare her down, LOL

Maybe she wants to know someone is there. It can be scarey at naptime.
SilverSabre25 08:21 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I have a DCG who at nap time will just stare at me. I tell her to close her eyes and go to sleep/rest. She will do it for a few seconds but then starts looking at me again. I really don't know why i am bothered but it just gets to me.
One of my dcbs does this. He's watching for me to leave before he wakes up so that he can hop off his mat and follow me out of the nap room The staring doesn't bother me in this case because I read a book and ignore him, but if I don't shut the door to the bathroom for one reason or another (mostly that one of the dcbs screams hysterically for ten minutes if I do...) this same boy will come stand at the door and watch me...and it's really creepy somehow even though he's only 2.
Tags:nap - staring, stare, staring while napping
Reply Up