Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Talk Me Out of Opening Earlier
BumbleBee 02:10 PM 03-07-2014
A month ago a family left (it was a good thing they did) which resulted in an income drop (down approx 1/3 of my income.) I put the word out to my current families that I have a full time opening and a part time opening. Called my wait list-they've all found other care arrangements that they are happy with.

My current hours are 7am to 6pm. I really like those hours. Not to early, not to late. The 1 call I have received was for a full time child but drop off would be 5:30am (pick up at 2:30pm). I really don't want to open that early-but then I think of my income right now and panic a little.

Talk me out of it....tell me all the reasons I shouldn't do it.
Reply
gracepatiencelove 02:17 PM 03-07-2014
Would they just go back to sleep?
Reply
craftymissbeth 02:20 PM 03-07-2014
I charge $5 per hour per child to open before 7 am. The dcg I termed recently came at 6:15 M-F so that was an extra $25 for me

If you were able to get an extra $50 a week out of this would it make it easier?

Honestly, the ONLY thing that will get me to open up earlier than 7 is $$$. I simply put a price on what I felt my sleep was worth

But if you want talked out of it..

DON'T DO IT... RUN RUN RUN



ETA: And yes, any child that comes before 7 is required to go back to sleep until 7.
Reply
Crazy8 02:21 PM 03-07-2014
I did it for a while and it was exhausting!!! I wouldn't ever do it again. I would hold out for a family with better hours or is there any chance of closing at 5pm??
Reply
drseuss 02:22 PM 03-07-2014
I totally understand the temptation because of the income. You want to be talked out of it though, so...

Those hours would be much too long a day. It wouldn't be healthy. Bedtime would be even earlier every night. You'd be pissed off every morning at 4:30 when the alarm went off. Not worth it. To me.
Reply
daycare 02:25 PM 03-07-2014
no way..............no one could get me to do that .....that is my gym time and I would not give that up for anything.........
Reply
daycare 02:27 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
I totally understand the temptation because of the income. You want to be talked out of it though, so...

Those hours would be much too long a day. It wouldn't be healthy. Bedtime would be even earlier every night. You'd be pissed off every morning at 4:30 when the alarm went off. Not worth it. To me.
this.......................you will regret it.....

trust me when I tell you this....especially when you are hating monday morning because you had to go to bed at 815 so you could be up to open before the crack of dawn.

RULE #1 never change your rules, policies, business for one family....

especially before the rooster crows...............
Reply
TaylorTots 02:29 PM 03-07-2014
No! RUN! Don't do it!

..........

unless you want to hear a logical reason to try it out since you want the income.... how about try it out for your trial period and if doesn't work you can just relay that to the parent and term.
Reply
daycare 02:40 PM 03-07-2014
if you really need money I get it...............but you would need to be very very firm with this family that this will be the only exception of bending of your rules/policies.

I did this once and as then I was being asked to pick up later, can they come sick, can I pay you next week instead.....etc etc.

I did put my foot down and finally grew a backbone to say NO, sorry, I allowed you guys only to stay later to keep your business, it was not an open invite to start asking to change all of my rules. they termed a day later.........

I guess I needed to have a filter back then.....lol
Reply
TaylorTots 02:46 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
if you really need money I get it...............but you would need to be very very firm with this family that this will be the only exception of bending of your rules/policies.

I did this once and as then I was being asked to pick up later, can they come sick, can I pay you next week instead.....etc etc.

I did put my foot down and finally grew a backbone to say NO, sorry, I allowed you guys only to stay later to keep your business, it was not an open invite to start asking to change all of my rules. they termed a day later.........

I guess I needed to have a filter back then.....lol
VERY good points
Reply
rosieteddy 03:40 PM 03-07-2014
Don't do it.Ihave a child that I let come earlier -only a half hour but still.I resent it now ,on those three days I have to get up and be ready earlier .Though thats not a big deal ,we can get a lot done in a half hour.Every time I panic and think I won't get anyone it always bites me you know where.The other thing I would not want a pick-up in the middle of nap .No way no how it just would not be worth it .Resist someone else will come ,you are working long enough.
Reply
TwinKristi 03:50 PM 03-07-2014
I guess it would depend on how much extra we're talking about here. If you made it worth your while then it could be beneficial. Some people are morning people and some aren't. I personally could NOT get up at 5:15 every day, even just to answer the door. And in my state you're not supposed to sleep when kids are in your care so if you're open at 5:30 you're up at 5-5:15 or whatever (I just get dressed, pull up my hair and spray on some smelly good on at 6:45 and lay on my couch until parents arrive between 7-7:20am.
Reply
Cccdcia 04:30 PM 03-07-2014
Hey there, I did the same thing as you my income dropped and I felt so desperate and everyone that would call would be for 5 am drop off so I did it I said yes, almost 2 years later and boy do I regret it!!! 65 hours a week is so hard! I close at 6 pm,I'm currently working on closing earlier on fridays
Reply
Leanna 06:30 PM 03-07-2014
I would only do it if I could shave an equal (or near equal) amount of time off the end of the day. Do you have people right up until 6pm?
Reply
Mister Sir Husband 06:52 PM 03-07-2014
Cause a 12 1/2 hour day would really suck. :-) (you did say to talk you out of it)
Reply
Cradle2crayons 11:06 AM 03-08-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Don't do it.Ihave a child that I let come earlier -only a half hour but still.I resent it now ,on those three days I have to get up and be ready earlier .Though thats not a big deal ,we can get a lot done in a half hour.Every time I panic and think I won't get anyone it always bites me you know where.The other thing I would not want a pick-up in the middle of nap .No way no how it just would not be worth it .Resist someone else will come ,you are working long enough.
THe biggest kicker for me would be the time of pick up not the time of drop off really.
Reply
KidGrind 10:23 AM 03-09-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
A month ago a family left (it was a good thing they did) which resulted in an income drop (down approx 1/3 of my income.) I put the word out to my current families that I have a full time opening and a part time opening. Called my wait list-they've all found other care arrangements that they are happy with.

My current hours are 7am to 6pm. I really like those hours. Not to early, not to late. The 1 call I have received was for a full time child but drop off would be 5:30am (pick up at 2:30pm). I really don't want to open that early-but then I think of my income right now and panic a little.

Talk me out of it....tell me all the reasons I shouldn't do it.
1. Do NOT do it if it overall will not be more of a plus than a negative.

2. Try NOT to make a decision due to panic or desperation if you can.


I would do it if I thought it would be an overall plus instead of a negative. For months now I have had a strict 5:00 PM closing time (excluding weekend care). Any parent Monday thru Friday who needed care after 5:00 PM were turned away.

I have a new DCM who needs care from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM. I accepted her into care because itís a RIGHT FIT for me. Itís a business situation that works for me. I do not foresee my having any resentment, frustration or anger over the situation.

If resentment develops or it no longer is the right fit in the future, I will give notice.

You know better than me if the early drop off is something you can do without resentment.
Reply
Play Care 03:25 AM 03-10-2014
Do you have posted hours? My hours are 7:30-4:45 - when people call and ask me to start earlier/work later, I don't even entertain the call. If they can't read something basic like my hours of operation, I know they are not going to read my contract

Also - if you do take them on - I would still charge the hefty early arrival fee even if they claim the child will be picked up early - *you* are still working until 6 or whatever - it's not like your day is going to be over at 2:30 when the child leaves.
Reply
BumbleBee 04:42 AM 03-10-2014
Thank you everybody! I have decided not to open earlier for this family. Almost all of my other kids are here until at least 5:30 so closing earlier isn't an option right now.
Reply
Reply Up