Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>outside play
littleblossoms 05:09 AM 03-07-2014
We were outside yesterday and I have one child 23 months that has never walk in snow. Her parents said to me this morning they have never take her outside. So most of the time she does know what to do or sit in the cold and watched her friends play. Here in Ontario lots of snow in the backyard and still cold. Any advice what to do or say? Her partner are lazy. They pick her up from me at 5pm and by 6:30 the child is in bed. They give her heinz or gerber toddler food or toast for dinner. They do not cook. I feel sorry for the child. She has no fine or gross motor skills.

She still cannot walk good as she fall alot inside bevause her parents always carry her around.
VTMom 05:23 AM 03-07-2014
I have a similar DCB. He's 22 months and was a late walker (@ 18 mos). He's still unsteady and doesn't like to be outside in the snow. I have an infant sled that I'll pull him in for a little bit, but other than that, I just encourage him to play. Sometimes he'll walk around, but usually he'll just sit there. Even when there's not snow, he really won't attempt to do anything. We have swings, a toddler slide that he can climb, toys, and kids running around everywhere. I have other kids, including afterschool kids, so not going outside is not an option.

My hope is that he gets used to it, or summer comes really fast
melilley 05:26 AM 03-07-2014
My 19 mo. ds would not walk in the snow. He would just walk back and forth on a path in the snow. I just kept bringing him out and low and behold, yesterday, he finally walked in the snow!

I would keep taking dcg out and hopefully she'll get used to it. As for the lazy parenting, unfortunately there isn't anything you can do.
Play Care 05:27 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by littleblossoms:
We were outside yesterday and I have one child 23 months that has never walk in snow. Her parents said to me this morning they have never take her outside. So most of the time she does know what to do or sit in the cold and watched her friends play. Here in Ontario lots of snow in the backyard and still cold. Any advice what to do or say? Her partner are lazy. They pick her up from me at 5pm and by 6:30 the child is in bed. They give her heinz or gerber toddler food or toast for dinner. They do not cook. I feel sorry for the child. She has no fine or gross motor skills.

She still cannot walk good as she fall alot inside bevause her parents always carry her around.
I would just do as you are doing...get the child outside, and give lots of opportunities to practice those other skills. Are they complaining that she goes outside? I would say that you are required to get ALL the kids outside each day (if you are licensed you can always blame regs) and even if you are not licensed I would say "my program goes outside every day, I can't keep one child inside while the others are out. You would be hard pressed to find a program that doesn't get the kids outside everyday."
If you feel that you can't deal with the family at all, then terminate the arrangement.
littleblossoms 05:36 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would just do as you are doing...get the child outside, and give lots of opportunities to practice those other skills. Are they complaining that she goes outside? I would say that you are required to get ALL the kids outside each day (if you are licensed you can always blame regs) and even if you are not licensed I would say "my program goes outside every day, I can't keep one child inside while the others are out. You would be hard pressed to find a program that doesn't get the kids outside everyday."
If you feel that you can't deal with the family at all, then terminate the arrangement.
No they don't complain but if her clothes are dirty they do. But I have in my contract we go outside we get dirty so no keep sake or church clothes to daycare.
Tags:appropriate clothing, outside play winter
Reply Up