Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Today's Lunch
sharlan 11:59 AM 01-21-2015
What was on today's lunch menu for your dck's?

We had smoked pork chops, shells w/ white cheddar, green beans, and cuties.

I am at a loss for PM snack.................... Any suggestions? What's your kids' favorite snack?
melilley 12:02 PM 01-21-2015
We had beef stew w/potatoes, carrots, onions, and green beans, a hawaiian roll, and pineapple.

My kids love cottage cheese w/ pineapple, yogurt, apples, anything with peanut butter, and of course cracker type of snacks. I'm kind of in a snack rut too.
hope 12:07 PM 01-21-2015
Baked ham, roasted turkey, string beans and pasta salad with veggies.

Snacking on rice cakes and apples and carrots now.
KiddieCahoots 12:11 PM 01-21-2015
Pot roast, potatoes, carrots, with onions and gravy (from the crock pot), Italian bread with butter, and pears.
nothingwithoutjoy 12:15 PM 01-21-2015
Today we had mashed potatoes with cheese, peas, carrot sticks, cabbage. (Yep--all veggies. Clearly I'm not on the food program.)

Snack today was plain yogurt with frozen strawberries. (Still smelled like summer!)

Recently for snack I gave them roasted potatos with homemade ketchup. They all said "for snack?" "this isn't a snack!" But then they loved it and begged me to make it "a lot!"
spud912 01:00 PM 01-21-2015
Lunch was whole wheat cheese quesadillas, steamed broccoli and fresh blackberries.

Snack? Hmmmm.......haven't decided yet. Maybe yogurt and granola?
sharlan 01:02 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Today we had mashed potatoes with cheese, peas, carrot sticks, cabbage. (Yep--all veggies. Clearly I'm not on the food program.)

Snack today was plain yogurt with frozen strawberries. (Still smelled like summer!)

Recently for snack I gave them roasted potatos with homemade ketchup. They all said "for snack?" "this isn't a snack!" But then they loved it and begged me to make it "a lot!"
How do you make ketchup?
daycare 01:07 PM 01-21-2015
breakfast oatmeal, bananas, and eggs

lunch-
quinoa, ground turkey, olive oil, parm cheese, broccoli, olives

pm dinner- salad, lettuce, tom, balsamic vinegar, tuna. Yogurt for dipping, cucumber slices, carrot chips, and french roll with hummus.
AmyLeigh 01:08 PM 01-21-2015
Beef and bean chili, saltines and orange slices.

I'm thinking baby carrots and cheese cubes for snack.
Givingthemgrace 01:51 PM 01-21-2015
Lunch: chicken and black bean taquitos on homemade tortillas, corn, Apple slices.
Snack: raisins, string cheese.
nothingwithoutjoy 01:56 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
How do you make ketchup?
I use the recipe in the "Ball Blue Book" canning book (again--no food program; in part because they don't allow home-canned food. But you could make it fresh, too, and refrigerate.) I reduce it by cooking in a crock pot--less chance of burning the bottom.

Tomato Catsup(using whole tomatoes)
>from the Ball Blue Book

4 qts peeled, cored, chopped, red-ripe tomatoes (about 24 large)
1 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped sweet red pepper
1 1/2 t celery seed
1 t whole allspice
1 t mustard seed
1 stick cinnamon
1 C sugar
1 T salt
1 1/2 C vinegar
1 T paprika

Cook tomatoes, onions, and pepper until soft. Press through a
food mill or sieve. Cook rapidly until thick (volume is reduced
by half), about 1 hour. Tie whole spices in a cheesecloth bag;
add with sugar and salt to tomato mixture. Cook gently about 25
minutes, stirring frequently. Add vinegar and paprika, cook until
thick. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Remove spice bag. Pour hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head
space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
Yields about 3 pints.
SilverSabre25 02:03 PM 01-21-2015
My husband took too many of the leftover BBQ meatballs so we had baked beans, cucumbers, bananas and toast.

Snack was carrots, grapes, and a cheese stick.
Unregistered 02:11 PM 01-21-2015
BBQ pork chop, carrots, pears, and brown rice.
SquirrellyMama 02:14 PM 01-21-2015
We had black bean quesadillas, peaches and salad. We aren't doing a pm snack today since we're at the park.

Kelly
daycare 02:21 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
My husband took too many of the leftover BBQ meatballs so we had baked beans, cucumbers, bananas and toast.

how do you prepare your grapes for the kids. I always want to serve them but don't because I don't know how to prep them so the kids won't choke on them.
SilverSabre25 02:36 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
how do you prepare your grapes for the kids. I always want to serve them but don't because I don't know how to prep them so the kids won't choke on them.
Cut 'em into 4+ pieces. Kitchen shears are perfect, for this and cherry tomatoes.
sharlan 02:41 PM 01-21-2015
Cut 'em into 4+ pieces. Kitchen shears are perfect, for this and cherry tomatoes.
That's how I do them, too. Grapes are my kids' favorite fruit.
MissAnn 02:43 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Freeze them and put them in the blender.
daycarediva 03:40 PM 01-21-2015
This all sounds yummy! I'm for sure in a food rut. I have two picky-ish eaters. I have been repeating a fruit and veg during the week (eg. carrots for lunch one day, snack another) My local grocery store has been offering DEEP discounts for organic fruit/veg in large packages. I got a 5lb bag of organic apples for 2.49, so we had apples three times this week. Baked with cinnamon for breakfast, sliced with lunch, diced with strawberries for snack.
nothingwithoutjoy 03:53 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This all sounds yummy! I'm for sure in a food rut. I have two picky-ish eaters. I have been repeating a fruit and veg during the week (eg. carrots for lunch one day, snack another) My local grocery store has been offering DEEP discounts for organic fruit/veg in large packages. I got a 5lb bag of organic apples for 2.49, so we had apples three times this week. Baked with cinnamon for breakfast, sliced with lunch, diced with strawberries for snack.
That's a steal!

We eat like that, too. Right now, we eat carrots pretty much daily, as they're one of few local veggies still available around here. Squash, potatoes....again and again and again.
Unregistered 05:16 PM 01-21-2015
Today for lunch we had scrambled eggs, watermelon, strawberries, cheese Cubes and toast with a glass of milk.
NeedaVaca 06:31 PM 01-21-2015

I always have a plan B for my meals/snacks because my DH is well known for late night snacks and he often eats my plan A
daycare 06:47 PM 01-21-2015
wow I am out of the loop on how to prep grapes. I can't wait to try those options...

Never thought to freeze and blender them...sweet idea
Sunchimes 08:02 PM 01-21-2015
I only have 2 eating real food now. One is on gluten free/dairy free/red dye free diet. It has greatly reduced my meal choices. He leaves in 2 more days---sob---so our meals will pick up soon.

Breakfast was gf pancakes with mashed up bananas instead of syrup almond milk
Lunch was gf spaghetti, peas, pears, and almond milk.
Afternoon snack was rice cakes with peanut butter and juice.

Next week, it's back to Mac and cheese, grill cheese sandwiches, and edible cookies on special days!
Snowmom 08:12 PM 01-21-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I only have 2 eating real food now. One is on gluten free/dairy free/red dye free diet. It has greatly reduced my meal choices. He leaves in 2 more days---sob---so our meals will pick up soon.
Ha! I have that exact kid in my dc.
I love when she's gone because I miss my cheese!!!

Breakfast today: Steel cut oatmeal w/blueberries
Lunch: Black bean & corn tacos w/cucumber salad
Snack: Apple cinnamon rice cakes (with the dreaded gray Almond milk...blech)
mduck 10:18 PM 01-21-2015
Man, you guys sound like chefs. I need to up my food game. Lol.
daycarediva 03:46 AM 01-22-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
That's a steal!

We eat like that, too. Right now, we eat carrots pretty much daily, as they're one of few local veggies still available around here. Squash, potatoes....again and again and again.
Same here, and the organic are VERY affordable (1.49ish for 2lbs of baby carrots). Same with organic bananas (.59/lb) pears, oranges, and romaine are all repeats, too.

Nobody will eat squash OR potatoes at the moment. I should keep offering, but they're time consuming to prepare and it's not worth throwing them away.
Unregistered 06:06 AM 01-23-2015
Wow!!! Lots of great lunches here! Roast turkey, pork chops, roast beef, great vegetarian meals also!
KDC 07:55 AM 01-23-2015
Yep... I made pizza, the frozen kind. There's NO way I'd go through all the hassle to make bbq pork or stew for a lunch. 1. my kids would look at me like I had 5 heads and not touch it (can't cook very well, more into baking!) They have steamed frozen veggies or sometimes they love cauliflower, carrots, green peppers with a little ranch for dipping. I also offer fresh/canned fruit. (usually buy the berries or large fruit options from Costco). I have a sample menu on my website and it has all the kid friendly foods of pasta, pizza, sloppy joes, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese...etc. All parents are aware of this before they sign up with me. I'm a very picky eater, so I have a hard time making things that I myself wouldn't touch.

Snacks are yogurt, frozen yogurt, cheese sticks, cuties, apple slices, pretzels, pirate booty, cucumbers and carrots w/ranch, wheat crackers n cheese, melon, grapes, Annie's graham's, or bunnies, apples, fruit kabobs (only when the boys aren't here for sword fighting, lol!). Sometimes homemade chocolate chip cookies with milk (special treat for birthdays).
Unregistered 08:51 AM 01-23-2015
Today we had vegetarian stir fry for lunch, snack will be popcorn, apple slice, strawberries and cheese cubes.
Unregistered 10:13 AM 01-23-2015
Slow-Roasted Organic Chicken with Braised Chick Peas, Organic Roasted Orange & Yellow Peppers, Arugula & Snap Peas with Blood Orange Vinaigrette, and Smoke-Roasted Organic Pears with Feta Relish.
Josiegirl 10:34 AM 01-23-2015
Lunch was Pizza Bagels, cantaloupe, cucumbers, grapes and milk
Snack will be Organic Cheddar snack mix and oranges
Baby Beluga 12:02 PM 01-23-2015
Love all of these ideas! I always feel like I am in a food rut with the kids. All but one of mine are dairy free so it really cuts down on the options.

Today's lunch was red beans and lentils with pita bread, steamed broccoli and mango.

Yesterday's was natural PB and honey on homemade wheat bread, peas and apple slices.
kathiemarie 12:31 PM 01-23-2015
I cheated today...delivered pizza, raw assorted veggies, cuties, milk. Long week 3 under 1 with 2 of them being very clingy.

snack will be crackers and apples
Unregistered 12:46 PM 01-23-2015
PM SNACK MENU: (We are on the food program)
Monday: graham crackers and milk
Tuesday: goldfish and juice
Wednesday: cheese and crackers and juice
Thursday: yogurt and juice
Friday: bugles and juice.
We serve milk for breakfast and lunch and then for morning snack because its not counted, we serve either extra milk or juice or water and some type of grain.
sharlan 12:46 PM 01-23-2015
Grilled cheese sandwiches, carrots, and applesauce.

Who knows for snack, probably yogurt and crackers.
Unregistered 08:11 AM 02-02-2015
Today we are having flat bread pizza, carrot sticks and cucumber slices. How about you?
VTMom 08:24 AM 02-02-2015
Today is a snow day so we have an unplanned full house! I'm going with the crowd pleasers of waffles/apples/milk for breakfast, hard boiled egg/kiwi/water for morn snack, turkey tacos/steamed broccoli/corn/milk for lunch, and a celebratory treat of chocolate pudding with crushed choc cookie and a single teddy graham emerging from the top (for Groundhog Day!)/fresh pineapple/water.
LysesKids 09:45 AM 02-02-2015
Snack was brioche toast, cuties and milk, I went with mini burgers on buns, sweet potato fries, tossed salad & apples for lunch. Snack is 5 layer dip with fresh made tortilla chips (leftover dip from Superbowl party lol); its got refried beans, guacamole, salsa, grated cheddar cheese, sour cream... can't let something this good go to waste lol
Josiegirl 10:26 AM 02-03-2015
Lunch today was Baked Cod, whole wheat rolls, peas, applesauce and milk
Snack will be graham crackers with peanut butter, banana and milk.
AuntTami 10:33 AM 02-03-2015
Okay I need to up my meal game too!
How do you all get ur littles to eat so many different veggies and fruit? Everyone here likes apples, bananas and one like blueberries and that's it!
deliberateliterate 10:50 AM 02-03-2015
Wow, lucky daycare kids! I definitely make simple meals.

Today was meatballs, rice and roasted butternut squash.

Tomorrow will be the pancakes that we had for dinner last night, scrambled eggs & smoothies

Thursday is pita pizzas w/ cauliflower

Friday is I can't remember
Shell 10:58 AM 02-03-2015
Originally Posted by KDC:
Yep... I made pizza, the frozen kind. There's NO way I'd go through all the hassle to make bbq pork or stew for a lunch. 1. my kids would look at me like I had 5 heads and not touch it (can't cook very well, more into baking!) They have steamed frozen veggies or sometimes they love cauliflower, carrots, green peppers with a little ranch for dipping. I also offer fresh/canned fruit. (usually buy the berries or large fruit options from Costco). I have a sample menu on my website and it has all the kid friendly foods of pasta, pizza, sloppy joes, chicken nuggets, mac n cheese...etc. All parents are aware of this before they sign up with me. I'm a very picky eater, so I have a hard time making things that I myself wouldn't touch.

Snacks are yogurt, frozen yogurt, cheese sticks, cuties, apple slices, pretzels, pirate booty, cucumbers and carrots w/ranch, wheat crackers n cheese, melon, grapes, Annie's graham's, or bunnies, apples, fruit kabobs (only when the boys aren't here for sword fighting, lol!). Sometimes homemade chocolate chip cookies with milk (special treat for birthdays).
Same here. I offer all the "kid friendly" stuff, but try to make it as healthy as possible- like organic Mac and cheese, wheat bread, organic pasta sauces, throw some spinach in a cheese quesadilla. Kids get tons of organic fruits and veggies- they eat a lot of that and organic yogurt- I make lots of fresh fruit smoothies.
I try to buy organic snacks, too, but it's all so expensive and crackers and such just seem like empty calories anyway.
Reply Up