Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>20 Month Old With Blanket
blueskiesbutterflies 04:15 AM 02-12-2015
What are everyones rules with a 20 month old dragging a blanket around with them and chewing on it? I feel that the blanket has germs because other kids are touching it and it is being dragged over toys and getting spit on them.

If you were to take the blanket for safe keeping how would you handle an ALL DAY screaming, kicking, rolling around on the floor kind of fit over the blanket being put up?

The child is very defiant at this time because he was sick all last week with a virus and stayed with grandma. At home, screaming works but at daycare screaming does not get you what you want....I feel mean because I know it is security for him but then again, I have the others kids to looks out for and him chewing on it just seems very nasty to me...advise?
NoellesMama 04:35 AM 02-12-2015
In my classroom (2-3 yr olds) you may have your blanket for 5 mins at arrival, then it goes back in your cubby until nap. I have only had a few "blanket kids" ( I was one myself ) but that system seems to work. I let them put the blanket away. If they get it between arrival & nap I give them a reminder to put it in their cubby.
Pepperth 04:47 AM 02-12-2015
I have two children in my daycare who are very attached to their blankets and they bring them from home each day. I have a dresser that I put them when they arrive/wake up from nap (out of sight, out of mind), and they haven't really asked for them since. If I can tell they really need a snuggle, they are allowed to for a few minutes in a designated sit down area, where there is nothing to do. Usually within a couple minutes, they drop the blanket in favor of going to play.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:17 AM 02-12-2015
I had mom bring me a blanket to keep here for naps, then I do not allow any in the door with them in the morning. I always remind them that I have their blanket for nap. Same with loveys- I will keep one for naptime.
Second Home 05:19 AM 02-12-2015
All blankets are for napping only , they go into the cubby when the dck arrive are taken out for nap and put back to go home .
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 02-12-2015
This is a tough one because I understand some kids' attachments to their blankets for safety and security but I also understand how it can cause issues within the context of group care.

So with that being said, I've been lucky enough that the kids I have had that are attached to their blankets have been easy to transition smoothly into not having their blanket during the day while here.

Last year I started requiring that NO BLANKETS be brought back and forth from home due to the possibility of lice and/or bed bugs and if a child HAS to have a blanket here, they must bring one and leave it. If it goes home, it cant come back.

With the new safe sleep stuff for infants it seems an over attachment to blankets is becoming much less common so that is good.

What I do however, with kids who are attached is tell them they can have their blanket but only in ONE spot. If they want to sit and cuddle their blanket all day, they are welcome but if they want to come play and join the rest of the kids, the blanket goes into their cubby and stays put the remainder of the day.

If they don't want to let it go, they sit.

Sooner or later the pull to go play usually gets them and their blanket is forgotten.....
Kimskiddos 05:28 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a tough one because I understand some kids' attachments to their blankets for safety and security but I also understand how it can cause issues within the context of group care.

So with that being said, I've been lucky enough that the kids I have had that are attached to their blankets have been easy to transition smoothly into not having their blanket during the day while here.

Last year I started requiring that NO BLANKETS be brought back and forth from home due to the possibility of lice and/or bed bugs and if a child HAS to have a blanket here, they must bring one and leave it. If it goes home, it cant come back.

With the new safe sleep stuff for infants it seems an over attachment to blankets is becoming much less common so that is good.

What I do however, with kids who are attached is tell them they can have their blanket but only in ONE spot. If they want to sit and cuddle their blanket all day, they are welcome but if they want to come play and join the rest of the kids, the blanket goes into their cubby and stays put the remainder of the day.

Sooner or later the pull to go play usually gets them and their blanket is forgotten.....

This is how I deal with blanket attachments also. Haven't really had any problems with blankies in a long time.
Meeko 05:57 AM 02-12-2015
No blankies from home at all.

I got sick of filthy, smelly blankets coming back and forth to daycare. I got sick of parents actually getting upset and offended when I would wash them!

The problem of bed bugs and other nasties has become more common in recent years and so I now provide all blankets. The child gets to choose one from my huge pile. It then becomes "theirs" as long as they are with us.

I wash them at least weekly. I like knowing the kids are sleeping with fresh, clean blankets. Blankets only come out of cubbies at nap time. Nobody is allowed to drag one around. That's a tripping hazard to the other children (and adults).
daycarediva 10:25 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is how I handle it as well. The blanket stays in their cubby unless they are sitting in the library area. Otherwise, it goes back in the cubby.

I have a 3yo who is a blankie holder/thumb sucker. Her Mom cut her lovey in half and hemmed the ends for her to have it here. If I let her have it, she sucks it and her thumb and the corner gets SOAKED with saliva. Then she drags it around the room and leaves a slime trail (like a snail). I wish I was exaggerating--- but I'm not! It's so bad it's actually reshaping the roof of her mouth and teeth. SHE is the reason I have the lovey in HERE or CUBBY ONLY rule.
nannyde 10:49 AM 02-12-2015
I don't allow comfort items in my daycare. They are escalators. The children fixate on them and they paralyze play.

My environment is calm, fun, warm, organized, child centric. There is no need for external comfort. The environment is comforting completely.
laundrymom 11:30 AM 02-12-2015
This is me. I've seen some of their CARS. I don't want to know what their carpet looks like.

Originally Posted by Meeko:
No blankies from home at all.

I got sick of filthy, smelly blankets coming back and forth to daycare. I got sick of parents actually getting upset and offended when I would wash them!

The problem of bed bugs and other nasties has become more common in recent years and so I now provide all blankets. The child gets to choose one from my huge pile. It then becomes "theirs" as long as they are with us.

I wash them at least weekly. I like knowing the kids are sleeping with fresh, clean blankets. Blankets only come out of cubbies at nap time. Nobody is allowed to drag one around. That's a tripping hazard to the other children (and adults).

Meeko 12:39 PM 02-12-2015
I've seen blankets that smelled strongly of urine.

I've seen blankets that looked like somebody had cleaned the garage floor with it.

I've seen blankets that were more holes than fabric.

I've seen blankets that were "crispy" with dried snot and saliva.

I often wondered.....if the parents are willing to bring things like that out in public....what must their homes be like....UGH!!!!!

That's why I provide all blankets!
hope 01:18 PM 02-12-2015
Could this child have a sensory issue? A girl in my DD's kindergarten class last year kept a ribbon in her pocket. She had sensory issues and for some reason this helped. Maybe you can try switching to a small piece of ribbon (safe length) that the child could rub through their fingers.
Unregistered 01:22 PM 02-13-2015
Yes, they stay in their cubby.
Controlled Chaos 06:54 AM 02-14-2015
Blankets go in the closet with their cots. I used to do the quiet spot thing, but when a toddler stumbled onto someone's blanket and the blanket owner went berserk I was done. I think out of sight of mind is best. I think I will steal nans phrasing when explaining to parents

I once had a child come in with his lovey, moms nursing bra
Midaycare logged out 12:21 PM 02-14-2015
I have 2 that seem to "need" blankets. I'm in the minority, but as long as the blankets are clean, I don't care. Blankets stay here and I wash them. They have other ones for home. That stops the gross stuff.
AmyKidsCo 01:22 PM 02-14-2015
I let my children have their lovies as much as they need them. But I'm lucky that the couple that go back/forth are always clean and the others have duplicates they leave here that I launder regularly.

I get twitchy when I don't have my phone so I totally get children needing their security items.
Cradle2crayons 12:04 PM 02-16-2015
I have a sibling to an infant here whose mom SWORE at enrollment the child couldn't do without HIS blanket and no other would do.

I said well, you'll have to find another provider because that snotty nasty blanket isn't coming in my door.

The child has been just fine without it here. I provide one for nap time. His thing is literally his language and social development is delayed because of that stupid blanket. That first day at interview, one look at that snotty, sticky, brown and smelly blanket EWWWWWWWW.

I don't mind if a child has a blanket or lovey at naptime, however, not all day long. They really do interfere with social development, play time, speech, etc. if the child has it all the time.
Meyou 10:39 AM 02-17-2015
I allow a blanket from home but once it arrives it lives here until they leave my care. I control the washing and access. Lovies are for naptime or a child may lay in their bed if they need their blankie outside of naptime. Same rule for pacifiers. I have no kids currently attached to blankets, pacies or other lovies here although they are heavily attached at home.
blueskiesbutterflies 11:34 AM 02-17-2015
Well, if I have never allowed blankets to be carried around like he does. However, I took it and he would just go and get it out of his cubby screamning and crying and throwing chairs at me, hitting me, kicking me. It was crazy. He will have a right out fit..so I put the blanket out of sight and he will SCREAM all day long!!!!!
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by blueskiesbutterflies:
Well, if I have never allowed blankets to be carried around like he does. However, I took it and he would just go and get it out of his cubby screamning and crying and throwing chairs at me, hitting me, kicking me. It was crazy. He will have a right out fit..so I put the blanket out of sight and he will SCREAM all day long!!!!!
Holy moly!! Sounds like he is UBER attached...

Id have hard time with that.... Id probably consider asking the parents to start helping him wean from it.

I totally understand being attached to a security item but that is borderline obsessive.

Maybe go to sanitary route... Talk to them about that aspect (maybe from another parents perspective) especially because he chews on it..
blueskiesbutterflies 11:53 AM 02-17-2015
Yes it is not normal the way he acts. The other kids will bring a blanket and put it right up. It is not fair to them. I offer stickers and a marshmellow to the ones who put their blankets up. Well he wont get one because he will refuse but he then will scream, kick, hit, and throw stuff over not getting a prize. He will even attempt to get the item himself if I do not give him one. It is the craziest thing I have ever seen...btw i guess I should mention having a fit "works" so of course he will try it here.
Heidi 12:02 PM 02-17-2015

Ok, so you've tried taking it away, this is his reaction, and so you caved?

He just learned what lengths he has to go to....

Is this how he acts every time you tell him no?
blueskiesbutterflies 12:10 PM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Ok, so you've tried taking it away, this is his reaction, and so you caved?

He just learned what lengths he has to go to....

Is this how he acts every time you tell him no?
No I did take it away and he does NOT get it back...even at nap time because the fit just starts all over again...I just have the same issue every single morning...mom is NOT strong enough to take the blanket away at drop off so I have to be the one. I ask him three times to put it away and then tell him either he puts it in the cubby or it goes in my desk. Of course it always goes in the desk...

What I meant by it works was at home with mom and grandma...

Anytime he WANTS something that he cannot have YES he will act like that...if he wants markers and it is not time for markers he will attempt to get them himself and if I stop him he will scream, kick, hit, throw himself on the floor, etc etc...you get the picture..i am thinking spoiled??
Heidi 12:38 PM 02-17-2015
No I did take it away and he does NOT get it back...even at nap time because the fit just starts all over again...I just have the same issue every single morning...mom is NOT strong enough to take the blanket away at drop off so I have to be the one. I ask him three times to put it away and then tell him either he puts it in the cubby or it goes in my desk. Of course it always goes in the desk...

What I meant by it works was at home with mom and grandma...

Anytime he WANTS something that he cannot have YES he will act like that...if he wants markers and it is not time for markers he will attempt to get them himself and if I stop him he will scream, kick, hit, throw himself on the floor, etc etc...you get the picture..i am thinking spoiled??
Got it!

I'd have a nice cozy spot picked out just for that little man. A heavy pillow or something off to the side. EVERY time he throws a fit, for whatever reason, I'd put him there. I'd say "when you are done yelling, you can get up". Repeat, repeat, repeat.

When he's done, say "ok, you're ready to play!" or something nice.

First week, you'll have to put him there about 500 times. Second week, you can ask "do you need to go to the calm down spot? or he'll go there himself...
Tags:milestones, security blanket
Reply Up