Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fire extinguisher question
Gemma 10:08 AM 03-11-2015
Do you replace or refill your Fire extinguisher?

I had no idea that a Fire extinguisher is only good for 5yrs, even if it never gets used, let alone that they're refillable.!
..where do you take it to get it refilled?
Blackcat31 10:11 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
Do you replace or refill your Fire extinguisher?

I had no idea that a Fire extinguisher is only good for 5yrs, even if it never gets used, let alone that they're refillable.!
..where do you take it to get it refilled?
Not all are refillable. It depends on the type you buy.

I used to buy the ones from Target/Walmart that lasted only for a few years (used or not) but now we are required to have the type that have metal heads (not plastic) so we have to buy the kind that need to be serviced every 1-2 years.

We have a service here in town that does it. Last year it cost me $45 to have it tested and refilled and stickered that it was good to go for another 2 years.
Josiegirl 10:16 AM 03-11-2015
I just got mine inspected, took all of 2 minutes and cost 3.50; had it done at a local supply place too. Mine's only a year or 2 old. Forgot to say that I've never had any refilled, have replaced them every few years.
snbauser 10:16 AM 03-11-2015
We have to have ours serviced annually. Thankfully there is a place locally that will do it if we bring it in. It only costs $4. But after a couple of years (I think it's 5), it can't be serviced and I have to replace it.

I would contact either the local fire dept and ask if they know where you can take it or google for fire protection or fire safter companies in the area. It is typically the same people who do things like fire alarms for companies, schools, etc.
Unregistered 10:22 AM 03-11-2015
A firefighter friend of mine used mine in a demo and inspected and filled it for free
Gemma 10:43 AM 03-11-2015
Thank you all, for your info
Crazy8 10:44 AM 03-11-2015
this is a good reminder…. mine is probably expired or expiring soon, I better check ASAP!!!!!
daycarediva 10:50 AM 03-11-2015
Mine just have to say full. I do replace them, but I have never had anyone ask. Licensing agent, or state/fire inspection.
Unregistered 11:10 AM 03-11-2015
We have to have ours serviced each year. We used to do this ourselves but now have to pay $5 to have it done by an authorized business. Usually the inspector takes it behind a curtain, but twice I have had it done at a state-wide conference, where they do it at a table right in front of you.
They check the little arrow to be sure it is in "normal" range, and wipe it clean. "$5 please!"

Then there is a more expensive service at, I believe, at five or six years, and again at ten or twelve. At the twelve year, it was almost the same price as a new, good quality extinguisher and there was no guarantee it would pass the twelve year check/service. I opt to buy new at this point.
sharlan 12:38 PM 03-11-2015
In CA, we have to have our's inspected once a year. It's pretty cheap but I forget how much.

I have an appt to have mine done this afternoon. I have a service that comes to the house and does it.
Reply Up