Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Director Dilemma
Tejas 10:29 AM 10-02-2016
A year and half ago I became co-director at my child care along with keeping my role as pre-k teacher. After 10 years our other co-director left and I hired a new co-director. We are a small facility, 70 kids-6 rooms, and directors have always held the role of director and teacher. In hiring a new co-director I decided to have someone who doesn't share titles and is in the office. After 4 months of this change I have found myself in a dilemma. The owner has not been around that much the past few months and is now starting to be around more. Even though we discussed the decision of having someone in the office who is not a teacher she continually questions me on this persons position and feels that they need to be doing more. On the other hand the person I hired has a background in corporate america and office work. So she does a great job in keeping the office work up to date and organized(tuition, enrollment, etc.), but there are other times I need her in rooms or helping with duties like supplies organization, laundry and other things that help the day run smoothly. When these out of the office things do come up she feels like these are or not part of her job. Since I have never held a director position where I am only in the office I was wondering, is it to much for me to ask the co-director to do those other duties? Should I back off the co-director and defend my decision to the owner of having someone just in the office. Or should I have another discussion with the co-director and clearly outline the out of office duties that need to be done? Sorry this became so long and thank you in advance for any advice!
Febby 01:38 PM 10-02-2016
I've never not had a director who helped out with laundry, organizing supplies, giving bathroom breaks, distributing newsletters/supplies/whatever. If someone else is handy and available to go do those things, then they'll send that person, but if everyone else is busy in a classroom and someone needs to move laundry and give Ms. Teacher a potty break, then the director will go do that.

The director's primary job is to direct the center, yes. However, it's fine to send her to go do other things if they're necessary for the center to operate correctly.
Tags:director duties
Reply Up