Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Someone Calls...
coolconfidentme 02:26 AM 01-22-2014
...What do you mention about your daycare? Just curious. Somewhere in the conversation I let them know we have no TV or battery operated toys & we encourage/teach manners. What about you?
daycarediva 03:02 AM 01-22-2014
That I am limited media
home childcare (my daycare name has preschool in it, so it confuses people sometimes)
play based preschool
LOTS of outside time
mainly organic
Daily sheets
Monthly menu
Monthly newsletter
Art
PE
Music
Hours
Rates, I give an estimated quote if they want PT.
Ages I accept

A phone interview takes about 10-15 minutes.
jessrlee 03:46 AM 01-22-2014
I hate to talk on the phone I set up an interview if I have openings and direct them to my webpage and facebook so they can see what we are about. then I hurry off the phone!
Great Beginnings 05:21 AM 01-22-2014
I tell them a little about myself and family. How my day runs. Ask about their family and invite them for a formal interview.
craftymissbeth 05:54 AM 01-22-2014
It always catches me completely off guard when someone calls. I never know exactly what to say. No one has EVER asked about my program.. just my rates
Oats&Ivy 06:10 AM 01-22-2014
We mostly just talk about the age of the child, the hours of care needed, and my rates. Occasionally they have questions for me, and I for them, but I find those basic questions up front help to get the conversation going. If things seem to mesh well over the phone, I set up an interview and we go over my policies/handbook when they come, as well as all forms required for enrollment. We do a tour of the daycare area. I show them some of the toys we have, and tell them about some of the activities we've done recently.
Lucy 10:07 AM 01-22-2014
I switch it around to where it's mostly ME interviewing THEM. I do that because if it's left to them to conduct the interview, it starts with, "How much do you charge?" No details on the kid or kids, no ages, no hours or days they need, etc. I've had people go on talking, and several min into the conversation I find out they ASSUME I'll work till 7pm. I'm thinking ... why wouldn't that be the FIRST question you'd ask??? I mean really!!!

So to get the conversation more streamlined, I just start in with MY questions.

What age is the child? (I don't take newborns or infants anymore)

(if school age) What school do they go to? (If not one of the 2 near me, it won't work)

What days and hours do you work? (Ask about their work hours first, then go to next question)

So it sounds like you'll need (time) to (time) on (days of week)

If all that sounds good, I'll continue a little bit. If it doesn't, I tell them that it won't work for me because of X reason. (I've actually had people try and "talk me into it" at this point. So irritating. And I've had some say, "Ok, but if you took him, what would you charge?" Even more irritating. I'm not going to give you my rates if you don't sound like a good fit! How dumb is that??!!)

If they sound good so far, I ask general questions just to get a feel for their personality a little bit and see if I think I would even LIKE them LOL. Just stuff like whether they live here in town, how long they've worked where they work, if the kid has been in DC before... general chit-chat.

If I think I'll like them, I say, "Well, why don't you come over and we'll talk further. What day and time works best for you?" They throw out a time, but if it's not good for me, I suggest something better, then we settle on an appointment time.

ETA: If at any point they bring up rates, I either continue with my questions (if I haven't finished), or include the rate issue in the closing question regarding them coming over to talk further. I say, "Well, we can discuss rates when you come for a visit. What day and time works best for you?"
Annalee 10:27 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
I tell them a little about myself and family. How my day runs. Ask about their family and invite them for a formal interview.
Me, too.
butterfly 10:27 AM 01-22-2014
I don't say a whole lot in the initial phone call. Mostly the callers are concerned if I have openings and my rates. I always tell them I work school year only if I have an opening. Otherwise most all other conversation happens at the interview.
coolconfidentme 11:24 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
No one has EVER asked about my program.. just my rates
Same here...
Tags:interview
Reply Up