Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kansas Providers
cara041083 12:09 PM 01-29-2015
I am in a debate over something. Is there an actual regulation that says how long we can be open and how long a child can be in our care? I looked through my book and can't find anything but I am being told we can be open and have a child for up to 16 hours per day? I thought we could only have a child for up to 10 hours per day regardless of how many hours we are open. Any one know?
Jack Sprat 12:24 PM 01-29-2015
I was told we had to have X amount of hours of "child free" time. Meaning no daycare children. I want to say its 12 hours but, not sure. I was told this by my licensor but, haven't ever read it anywhere.
cara041083 12:29 PM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I was told we had to have X amount of hours of "child free" time. Meaning no daycare children. I want to say its 12 hours but, not sure. I was told this by my licensor but, haven't ever read it anywhere.
This is what I was told by a licencor also, but I have another in home daycare arguing that my self and a few others are wrong and we can provide care for up to 16 hours per day. Now I can't find anything in the book lol
Jack Sprat 12:33 PM 01-29-2015
Not to sound harsh but, why would anyone want to be open for 16 hours?? I can see a center having longer hours, but I would assume that they have shift workers, scheduled breaks and lunches.
cara041083 12:47 PM 01-29-2015
Not to sound harsh but, why would anyone want to be open for 16 hours?? I can see a center having longer hours, but I would assume that they have shift workers, scheduled breaks and lunches.

This is my thought as well. What started it was there was someone on Facebook (we have a provider page for people to help find care) and she wanted care for 2 kids from 8am to 8:30pm mon-fri. and wanted to pay with srs. Well all of the providers told her that it would be hard to find care for that many hours due to regulations. Well this one in home provider went on to tell everyone we could provide care for up to 16 hours. Now its just one of those things that I would love to prove her wrong lol. Of course now I can't find anything lol. But I have even had centers tell me they could only take a child for 10 hours a day. However that could have been their policy and not a regulation.
Jack Sprat 12:53 PM 01-29-2015
Is your licensor or food program director on the page? I would ask them to chime in.
cara041083 12:56 PM 01-29-2015
Is your licensor or food program director on the page? I would ask them to chime in.
No but we have a class tonight at the health dept so I plan on asking them there
NoMoreJuice! 07:41 PM 01-29-2015
Ok, I just skimmed through the entire reg book and I can't find any mention of hourly restriction. I do know for sure that children can be in care for over 10 hours, but I have no clue about how many hours we're allowed to have our daycare open. Did you find anything out tonight?
Jack Sprat 11:37 AM 01-30-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Ok, I just skimmed through the entire reg book and I can't find any mention of hourly restriction. I do know for sure that children can be in care for over 10 hours, but I have no clue about how many hours we're allowed to have our daycare open. Did you find anything out tonight?
I'm curious as well!
Thriftylady 02:27 PM 02-09-2015
When I was in Kansas you couldn't "work" daycare and any other job combined more than 18 hours a day. But I closed there in 2002 so they may have changed things by now. That is the only reg I remember in the category though.
cara041083 02:34 PM 02-09-2015
I had totally forgotten to post what I found out LOL. I asked and I was told by my reps that I can watch kids or even the same kid for 18 hours straight in a 24 hour period I am sorry 1. who in the world would want to watch kids for that many hours. 2. That is not safe! you can't sleep with them in your care and how would you be well rested and 100 aware of whats going on if you arn't getting rest! That makes no sense to me.
Jack Sprat 11:56 AM 02-10-2015
That makes no sense! Sometimes I feel that different licensors give different information. Maybe this is something that can addressed at one of the Town Hall meetings licensing is having.
cara041083 12:02 PM 02-10-2015
That makes no sense! Sometimes I feel that different licensors give different information. Maybe this is something that can addressed at one of the Town Hall meetings licensing is having.
I agree! I am not going to say any names on here but I feel like we as providers don't always get the information we need and depending on who you talk to you get a different answer. I had a safe sleep question regarding an infant once and I went to one of the free training classes that was being help. I asked one of the head licencing staff and in front of everyone she said " Oh I don't know, go back and look in your book" I was shocked. Keep in mind that this was the same woman that came out for my first inspection. It made me feel really prepared to take on infants lol
Jack Sprat 12:14 PM 02-10-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I agree! I am not going to say any names on here but I feel like we as providers don't always get the information we need and depending on who you talk to you get a different answer. I had a safe sleep question regarding an infant once and I went to one of the free training classes that was being help. I asked one of the head licencing staff and in front of everyone she said " Oh I don't know, go back and look in your book" I was shocked. Keep in mind that this was the same woman that came out for my first inspection. It made me feel really prepared to take on infants lol
Yes! I have had that response as well.
Reply Up