Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advise on my own 6 year old
cara041083 05:58 AM 04-22-2015
My daughter just turned 6. I am starting to notice somethings that she does that makes me wonder if she could have something going on like bipolar or OCD. I am not sure if she is just acting out or if something is really wrong. I am not sure what steps to take to find out. For instance, she will not ware clothes if she doesn't like the way they feel. For example socks. If she doesn't like the way it feels once she gets shoes on then she has a major meltdown. Its the same with everything she wares. She refuses to go in an elevator and if we go somewhere that she can't take the stairs, she has a meltdown and is shaking scared. She will use bathrooms but only if it has stalls in it. If it is a one toilet room where the door has to lock its the same as an elevator. She freaks out. She tried to eat the same thing every day. Also she will go from happy to on the floor screaming and kicking and just plain out mad over the littlest things. Its not like a fit where she is upset for not getting her way, its like an uncontrollable crying fit. When she is at school, she doesn't have the fits but she is very repetitious. Her teacher jokes that if someone isn't doing it the way they should then my daughter is very quick to show them the "correct" way of doing it. Her teacher told me that she will even tell her subs to ask my daughter if they have any questions because she can tell them how and what needs to be done. I don't know much about bipolar or OCD and I am not sure where to start to see if her behavior is just her, or if something really does need to be addressed.
Indoorvoice 06:33 AM 04-22-2015
I would maybe start with her school. You can ask for an evaluation but if her issues aren't affecting her school work there isn't much they will be able to do. The next step would be to go to her doctor and explain your issues. They can refer you to get an evaluation. It sounds like she has some sensory issues she needs to work through.
BumbleBee 11:03 AM 04-22-2015
It sounds a lot like I child I know who is dx'd with sensory processing disorder.

The Out of Sync Child is a good book.

I'd start with the school system for an evaluation.
Thriftylady 02:21 PM 04-22-2015
I disagree with using the school system. Of course I had experience with one who demanded kids be medicated if they were even slightly "off". I would start with your doctor or or possibly call a psychologist, they can usually do some testing or guide you to it.
cara041083 07:49 PM 04-22-2015
Thank you ladies. I am going to call her doc and set up an annual check up and start there.
Reply Up