Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gotta love how parents don't read your newsletters...
hsdcmama 02:48 PM 04-24-2015
Got a text from a parent about a school schedule change for a day when I am closed. I texted her back, "I am off that day." Parent replies that she didn't know I was closed that day, to which I reply that I sent out a newsletter a while ago which had my days off & vacation time listed. Why doesn't anyone actually read those colorful papers I put in their kids' cubbies??? It irks me that I spend a good bit of time planning out my days off to make it as convenient as possible for them, then spend more time typing up a very detailed newsletter which they then don't even bother to read.
spedmommy4 06:28 AM 04-25-2015
I just started emailing mine to everyone. If there is a closure on the newsletter, I note it in the subject line and mark the email urgent.-closure this month. It saves me tons on ink and I find that parents are reading the newsletter now.
Thriftylady 06:31 AM 04-25-2015
I don't think my parents read ANY piece of paper I had them. So frustrating.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 04-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I don't think my parents read ANY piece of paper I had them. So frustrating.
I use a hidden phrase/word periodically (always in my handbook) and it helps A LOT!

Sometimes it is something simple like "secret word is 'butterfly'. Bring secret word/phrase to provider for $5 off your next invoice."

Sometimes its a 10% discount sometimes $5 and sometimes its a small gift;
A candle, photo frame, fridge magnet etc. depends on importance of the info.

Sometimes its only the first one or the first 3 parents that get discount/gift prize.
Like I said it depends on content and impotance.

I keep a basket of freebies like I mentioned above as gifts.
I buy things at the $1 store or sometimes in all honesty items are a re-gift.....
But whatever... I just want parents to actually read stuff.

Sometimes when I give out vacation or closed notices I require parent signatures and dates...
When I get told "Oh I didnt know" I show them that they DID know.

They're usually embarrassed but again whatever... These are adults with children..... I cant do everything for them.
finsup 08:24 AM 04-25-2015
I switched to Facebook messages. That way I can see who has seen the message and when. When they tell me they "didn't know" I just say, "oh! Remember the Facebook message I sent out? It says you received it so I had assumed you read it. Please feel free to scroll back up through and I'm sure you'll find all the information was sent to you at such and such a date." It allows me to send it to both dcp's too so it eliminates he said/she said or one parent not "getting" it because of the other parent. Esp good for divorced families. I'm not a huge Facebook fan and ideally I would rather just send out newsletters but, the change def seemed to clear up the issues I was having. Now if by chance someone doesn't have Facebook, I had them a letter personally and ask the following day if they had any questions. But its very rare to not have a parent on Facebook.
Unregistered 03:11 AM 04-27-2015
I learned many years ago that people are generally not readers. You have to reach them many ways. Reminders posted on the door, text msg. Calendars with circled days, etc. etc. people are busy and though they may actually read it, they may forget!

I get day before reminders about appt. from my doctor, dentist, massage therapist, etc, etc!!
originalkat 06:37 AM 04-27-2015
I reach out in different ways.
1)Monthly Newsletter
2)Notes on the door
3)Little Reminder Notes home
4)Text Message Reminders
5)Facebook Reminders
6)Telling in person if it is out of the ordinary or very important

I have never had anyone show up at my door on a day off.
AmyKidsCo 09:14 AM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I reach out in different ways.
1)Monthly Newsletter
2)Notes on the door
3)Little Reminder Notes home
4)Text Message Reminders
5)Facebook Reminders
6)Telling in person if it is out of the ordinary or very important

I have never had anyone show up at my door on a day off.
I do the same. Ironically, it's only my own (adult) kids who never read the newsletters!
Stepping 01:08 PM 05-04-2015
I send out a holiday list at the beginning of the year, an email reminder each month, have a notice on the door and updated calendar on the website. I have at least two families who will say "oh I didn't know you were closed!" Every time.

Really? How can you miss that many notices!
Thriftylady 01:21 PM 05-04-2015
Hey BC, how do you do the hidden word or phrase so they will know what it is? I like your idea, just not sure how to use it lol. I mean do you put in there "tell provider XYZ for a discount"?
Reply Up