Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gifts for provider
happymom 01:10 PM 07-01-2015
My 3 year old's last day at his in-home daycare is coming close (next friday). My DCP is throwing a farewell party for him, he has been coming to her since he was an infant (12 weeks).

I have not been the best daycare parent and haven't always gotten her gifts at holidays, etc., but I'd like to get her a nice thank you gift for everything she's done for us --- but I also don't want it to seem like "thanks for all you've done, so long!" because my son and her daughter are very close and I want them to stay friends.

Would it be best to get her something for the daycare or something for herself? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thriftylady 01:21 PM 07-01-2015
Get her a couple of gift cards and let her choose. I don't know what you are planning to spend, but what if you cut it in half one to a nice place to eat for her and hubby (or a friend), and one to someplace like Target where she can choose what way she wants to spend it? Also a nice card or letter saying how much you appreciate her would probably be one of the best things you can do for her.
Controlled Chaos 01:31 PM 07-01-2015
Favorite gifts I have received:
A bottle of wine
A gift card to a grown up restaurant - where there are no kids!
Amazon gift card
A bottle of wine
Starbucks gift card and coffee accessories
A gift card to a nice manicure place and a gift card to the bakery next door
A bottle of wine
Sunchimes 01:35 PM 07-01-2015
I'm thinking that a Visa type prepaid card is better than Target or a restaurant. I still have a Christmas gift card to a place we never eat as well as one to Target, where I never shop. Those were from family. Daycare parents gave me cash and a prepaid, and I loved the freedom of that.
happymom 03:30 PM 07-01-2015
Awesome, glad giftcards aren't seen as too impersonal!
Baby lady 04:06 PM 07-01-2015
As far as I'm concerned, cash is as good or better than a gift card
spud912 04:31 PM 07-01-2015
One thing I would definitely include is a handwritten card and say some of the things you said in your post.
MarinaVanessa 04:33 PM 07-01-2015
My favorite gift from a daycare parent was a nice home-made card with a heart-felt message and a gift card to a restaurant (something for me to enjoy away from my home)
Crazy8 04:39 PM 07-01-2015
As budget minded as I am cash and gift cards always make a great gift but I have also loved when parents bought things for the daycare. Sometimes I have even gotten gifts that I wouldn't use (wine, we don't drink) and it was just the note with the gift that made it special anyway.
Controlled Chaos 05:15 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
As budget minded as I am cash and gift cards always make a great gift but I have also loved when parents bought things for the daycare. Sometimes I have even gotten gifts that I wouldn't use (wine, we don't drink) and it was just the note with the gift that made it special anyway.
You may mail your wine to me
MarinaVanessa 05:19 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
You may mail your wine to me
I will play you Rock, Paper, Scissors for it
Thriftylady 07:49 PM 07-01-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I will play you Rock, Paper, Scissors for it
I'll pay shipping!!!!
happymom 10:48 PM 07-09-2015
Thank you all for your input.
My 3 year old painted a picture of a lion (DCP's favorite animal, according to him) and I framed it for her classroom should she choose to display it. I included a card with a handwritten note with a million thanks and a gift card to target.

I can't believe tomorrow is his last day. He told me "mom, I love miss Abby too, but I don't cry about it every day."

She is having a farewell pool party for him tomorrow. He got to pick out what they will have for lunch and a special treat (ice cream sandwiches).

I'm sad. Excited for the future, but still really really sad. I wish things were different and he could stay.
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
Thank you all for your input.
My 3 year old painted a picture of a lion (DCP's favorite animal, according to him) and I framed it for her classroom should she choose to display it. I included a card with a handwritten note with a million thanks and a gift card to target.

I can't believe tomorrow is his last day. He told me "mom, I love miss Abby too, but I don't cry about it every day."

She is having a farewell pool party for him tomorrow. He got to pick out what they will have for lunch and a special treat (ice cream sandwiches).

I'm sad. Excited for the future, but still really really sad. I wish things were different and he could stay.
Awwww....Nice to hear from a dcparent and child who had a good relationship with their provider and will miss her. I'm sure the feeling is mutual. I have many past kids who I wish still could come. And some of my current ones who could move forward.
CraftyMom 05:27 AM 07-10-2015
Handwritten appreciation is the best gift for me!
childcaremom 06:03 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Handwritten appreciation is the best gift for me!
I would like this, too.

I have gotten clothing, plants, baked goods, etc but words of thanks are priceless.

I'm sure your provider will love what you've chosen.
KiddieCahoots 06:09 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Favorite gifts I have received:
A bottle of wine
A gift card to a grown up restaurant - where there are no kids!
Amazon gift card
A bottle of wine
Starbucks gift card and coffee accessories
A gift card to a nice manicure place and a gift card to the bakery next door
A bottle of wine
.........love it!..........

Wish more parents were like you, happymom! Love your kind thoughts!
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:25 AM 07-10-2015
I love the framed drawing! How sweet, and something I would love to display in my playroom!
Unregistered 09:15 AM 07-10-2015
How about a photo of the group in a nice frame? Or just a photo of you and the dck.
daycarediva 11:05 AM 07-10-2015
I have kept every card or note a daycare parent has written me. The words of appreciation mean so much!

I think what you've done is perfect! We really don't expect anything, so the fact that you thought of her means everything!
happymom 07:54 AM 07-11-2015
She gave my baby boy a parting gift too! A back pack with his favorite character filled with art supplies and snacks, he stayed up late making a project with his new glue stick

I cried and cried at pick up but we made plans for our kids to get together next week, so I feel good about that! It won't be every day anymore but the relationship will stil be there with at least some of the kids.

My little guy will begin his new center preschool / daycare on Monday and I will probably be back for advice!
Blackcat31 09:00 AM 07-11-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
She gave my baby boy a parting gift too! A back pack with his favorite character filled with art supplies and snacks, he stayed up late making a project with his new glue stick

I cried and cried at pick up but we made plans for our kids to get together next week, so I feel good about that! It won't be every day anymore but the relationship will stil be there with at least some of the kids.

My little guy will begin his new center preschool / daycare on Monday and I will probably be back for advice!

Thats awesome!!
Reply Up