Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Deduct Special Food For Special Needs Child?
Sunchimes 02:22 PM 02-26-2017
I have a special needs child whose doctor said for us to add Carnation Breakfast Essentials to her milk in an effort to increase her calories and keep her on the growth charts. I have been buying this rather expensive mix myself. No other kids get it, just her. I take the regular meal deductions (not allowed on food program since I'm a listed home) for her, but since this is above and beyond a regular meal, and it was ordered by her doctor, can I take a deduction for the additive as a supply?
rosieteddy 07:48 AM 02-27-2017
I would amend my contract.Special food and formula would be provided by the parents. Do you provide formula and baby food? If not then this would fall under that.If child is not able to eat meals served then parent should provide special items.I would only allow this with a Dr detailed note.
LysesKids 08:44 AM 02-27-2017
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I have a special needs child whose doctor said for us to add Carnation Breakfast Essentials to her milk in an effort to increase her calories and keep her on the growth charts. I have been buying this rather expensive mix myself. No other kids get it, just her. I take the regular meal deductions (not allowed on food program since I'm a listed home) for her, but since this is above and beyond a regular meal, and it was ordered by her doctor, can I take a deduction for the additive as a supply?
I would make the parents supply it & it would require a Dr note; I don't think the IRS allows you to deduct over the set amount for meals regardless if it's special needs
CityGarden 09:03 AM 02-27-2017
I agree with the providers above I would require the parents to provide it along with a doctors note.
KiwiKids 09:08 AM 02-27-2017
As a mom with two kids who needed it for extra calories in the toddler years... I would expect a parent to provide that.
TomCopeland 09:28 AM 02-27-2017
As long as you use the standard meal allowance rate, you cannot deduct the extra cost of this food. It's food, not a supply. If you use the actual cost of food to claim food expenses, you can deduct this cost, but then you would have to use this method for all food and save all food receipts.
Sunchimes 12:49 PM 02-28-2017
Thanks Tom. I suspected that, but didn't want to pass up a possible deduction.

As for the parent's furnishing it, this is a very special family, we have travelled a long journey together. If I can help in this small way, I am more than happy to do this and more.
Leigh 10:06 AM 03-01-2017
Insurance or Medicaid would cover this if a doctor writes a prescription. I have 19 month olds on PediaSure and their insurance covers it. Because of the Special Diet, I still can deduct their feedings and the parent is still able to supply the food.
Tags:deductions
Reply Up