Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation- paid or not?
busymomof2 08:16 AM 06-16-2010
I am starting a new day care in Fresno and working on my policy and procedures. I have two questions for those of you who are established. I would really appreciate the help. Also if you have a website I would like to see it. I am working on mine and need ideas. Thanks!!!!!!!

1. Is provider vacation usually paid?
2. Does the parent pay when they are on vacation?

tymaboy 08:51 AM 06-16-2010
1- I only get 10 paid Holidays. I do not get paid for any other time I take off.

2- Parents get a free week & if they take a second week it is 1/2 rate of what their normal weekly rate is.
DCMom 09:08 AM 06-16-2010
I have 2 weeks of vacation paid at 1/2 rate, so in effect is one week paid to me. I used to have 2 weeks paid to me and 1 week unpaid to my daycare families, but we had some instances of trying to take more than one week unpaid which caused problems so I changed the policy.

I also have 10 paid holidays and I am now up to 7 paid personal days.

Yes I know, it sounds excessive but I have been in this business over 20 years and have discovered that time off is much more important to me than money. The last 7 years, instead of raising rates each year (which I have a hard time doing) I add a paid personal day.
Golden Rule 09:37 AM 06-16-2010
Wow!! I am behind the curve ball on this.... If I close I don't charge.... I never even considered that I could

I rarely close as I can't afford it, just Thanksgiving and Christmas.....

How would someone word their contract for this? I ask to help myself and the OP, here..
DCMom 09:53 AM 06-16-2010
In my own defense, in Minnesota there is a rate survey yearly by county and type of care. I am consistently at or below the lowest rate for my zip code.
I think that softens the blow a bit. I am also very upfront the initial interview about my time off and I schedule all of my days for the year so everyone can plan well ahead for back up care.

Obviously this will only work if the area where you live will support it. I have been able to find a niche between 'small in home family care' and 'large center care' with my 'large group family child care' and I exploit it :-)
jen 09:54 AM 06-16-2010
I charge for all holidays but not for my vacation time.
busymomof2 09:58 AM 06-16-2010
DCMom-I like the idea of adding paid personal days! So do your parents pay 1/2 or full fee for their one or 2 week vacation?
SunflowerMama 10:00 AM 06-16-2010
I take 7 federal holidays paid and one week in December paid. I offer the families one week unpaid vacation. After that they would just pay.
momofboys 10:18 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by busymomof2:
I am starting a new day care in Fresno and working on my policy and procedures. I have two questions for those of you who are established. I would really appreciate the help. Also if you have a website I would like to see it. I am working on mine and need ideas. Thanks!!!!!!!

1. Is provider vacation usually paid?
2. Does the parent pay when they are on vacation?

The days I take off for vacation are unpaid. My parent does not take a vacation per say since I care for a teacher's family & don't provide care for her over the summer. However, she does have school breaks (Christmas, etc) that she is off but I truly didn't care about not getting paid b/c I wanted that time with my family. Other than Christmas break & Turkey day break she did not take vacation. I did not ask to be paid for those timeframes. I will include some holiday pay though for next year.
Janet 10:33 AM 06-16-2010
I've never charged for my vacations or the dc families vacations, holidays, sick days (for me or kids) or personal days for myself. When I wrote up my contract many years ago, I just didn't factor it in, so that was my fault. I have one family that is actually insisting on paying me for holidays, even though I told her it wasn't neccessary. I pretty much charge for the days that I actually care for kids unless I get a no-call/no-show. If I had it to do over again, I wouldd charge for holidays and a certain number of sick days, but that's OK. In my contract, I state that I don't provide a back up care giver, but I've been lucky enough to have a friend who is also a daycare provider so she covers my vacations (she needs money, the parents need care, and I need a vacation, so everyone wins).
DCMom 11:09 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by busymomof2:
DCMom-I like the idea of adding paid personal days! So do your parents pay 1/2 or full fee for their one or 2 week vacation?

Because I take the same two weeks each year and give them my plans for the year in January, almost all of my families plan their vacations for the same week(s) I do. For those that do not, they simple pay full price for the week they choose to be gone.
boysx5 11:17 AM 06-16-2010
I take two weeks paid vacation the parents have the choice to take the same weeks as me as I give notice Feb. or they can take a different week and I also get paid. I just started this two years ago and have never had a person not use me because of this. I feel like everyone gets vacation why not us who work hard
Greenshadow 11:34 AM 06-16-2010
I take a few paid federal holidays off per year and two weeks at Christmas time unpaid, when the kids are out of school and my husband has time off. He works a union job and they lay them off for two weeks in Christmas. I take that time off to be with family. I do not charge for my two-weeks off. If a parent wants time off and they give me a month's notice, I will not charge them for one week. If they want more than one week off, I charge half price. If they dont give notice, they pay full price. I do not refund...ever. So if they pay and then decide to take their child for a day that week, or more, thats on them. I do not refund or give credits.
misol 11:47 AM 06-16-2010
My parents pay whether they are here or not. I have 12 paid vacation days, 5 paid sick/personal days, and I can take up to 3 weeks off unpaid. Sounds like a lot and it IS a lot, especially for a newbie. But my last job that I was at for 10 years I got 20 PTO days and I wanted to keep that. No parent has complained or questioned it...yet.
tmcp2001 11:57 AM 06-16-2010
I have 10 paid holidays (pretty standard) and 10 paid vacation days with a minimum of 4 weeks notice. (I usually give MUCH more notice - in April I posted notice for 2 days that I would be closed this month and 3 days I would be closed next month for vacation, so 2-3 months notice.) However, this only applies to my full time families. It would penalize some of my part time families (how many holidays fall on a Friday or Monday??) to apply it to all.

Don't sell yourself short - check with providers in your area to see what is common there. Here it's pretty standard to have paid vacation.
misol 12:15 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
My parents pay whether they are here or not. I have 12 paid vacation days, 5 paid sick/personal days, and I can take up to 3 weeks off unpaid. Sounds like a lot and it IS a lot, especially for a newbie. But my last job that I was at for 10 years I got 20 PTO days and I wanted to keep that. No parent has complained or questioned it...yet.
I wanted to mention that I originally had 10 paid holidays until I found out that 2 of my parents had 2 additional holidays but still brought their kids to me anyway. So I revised mine to include those holidays as well!
momma2girls 12:16 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I take two weeks paid vacation the parents have the choice to take the same weeks as me as I give notice Feb. or they can take a different week and I also get paid. I just started this two years ago and have never had a person not use me because of this. I feel like everyone gets vacation why not us who work hard
I agree, I think everyone, no matter what their line of work, deserves a paid vacation. I also have paid Holidays and also paid 2 week vac. every yr.
Crystal 01:15 PM 06-16-2010
I take 1 week paid vacation, all major holidays paid, and 4 "floating holidays" paid, that I can use as I choose. Parents pay if they go on vacation and are not here, I do not give free vaction time to them.

My families are all fine with this.
Golden Rule 01:28 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
In my own defense, in Minnesota there is a rate survey yearly by county and type of care. I am consistently at or below the lowest rate for my zip code.
I think that softens the blow a bit. I am also very upfront the initial interview about my time off and I schedule all of my days for the year so everyone can plan well ahead for back up care.

Obviously this will only work if the area where you live will support it. I have been able to find a niche between 'small in home family care' and 'large center care' with my 'large group family child care' and I exploit it :-)

Oh, I am sorry if you thought I was attacking...lol!! I was happy to hear it could be done and was looking for a way to slowly incorporate it. I tried responding earlier, but had a power outage with 4 sleeping toddlers (92*)...ugh!!!

I look forward to following this thread!!!
originalkat 01:28 PM 06-16-2010
This is what I have in my parent handbook regarding holidays, vacations, and personal days. Also, My website is www.greengatepreschool.webs.com

Holidays

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round education program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. Holidays and breaks are necessary for the well being of all. Please see the calendar for
specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will observe it on either the Friday
before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve (Close Early)
Christmas Day

Vacations

Each calendar year, Green Gate Preschool will be closed 2 weeks (10 days not including weekends) for provider’s vacation. Parents will be given as much advance notice as possible, with a minimum of 30 days. Vacations are typically taken 1-week during Christmas and 1-week in the Summer. No payment is required for the
provider’s vacation. However, parents will be responsible for making alternate childcare arrangements while Green Gate Preschool is closed.

Parent’s Vacations
Parents will receive a one-week vacation coupon per calendar year to use if desired. Tuition will not be required for the one week vacation however, a two-week advance notice is necessary. You must turn in your Vacation Coupon in advance. It may not be used for the first or last week of care. And it must be used in a consecutive 5 day period. It may not be redeemed by the day.

Personal Leave

Green Gate Preschool is allotted up to five (5) paid personal days per calendar year for illness, training, or family emergencies. Parents are responsible for making alternate arrangements for childcare on provider’s personal days.
Golden Rule 02:15 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
This is what I have in my parent handbook regarding holidays, vacations, and personal days. Also, My website is www.greengatepreschool.webs.com

Holidays

I strive to provide families with an exceptional quality, all-day, year round education program. I try to recognize the needs of working parents and their families. Holidays and breaks are necessary for the well being of all. Please see the calendar for
specific dates. If a holiday falls on a weekend, we will observe it on either the Friday
before or the Monday after.

We will be closed on the following paid holidays.

New Year Day
Martin Luther King Jr.
President’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Veteran’s Day
Thanksgiving and the day after
Christmas Eve (Close Early)
Christmas Day

Vacations

Each calendar year, Green Gate Preschool will be closed 2 weeks (10 days not including weekends) for provider’s vacation. Parents will be given as much advance notice as possible, with a minimum of 30 days. Vacations are typically taken 1-week during Christmas and 1-week in the Summer. No payment is required for the
provider’s vacation. However, parents will be responsible for making alternate childcare arrangements while Green Gate Preschool is closed.

Parent’s Vacations
Parents will receive a one-week vacation coupon per calendar year to use if desired. Tuition will not be required for the one week vacation however, a two-week advance notice is necessary. You must turn in your Vacation Coupon in advance. It may not be used for the first or last week of care. And it must be used in a consecutive 5 day period. It may not be redeemed by the day.

Personal Leave

Green Gate Preschool is allotted up to five (5) paid personal days per calendar year for illness, training, or family emergencies. Parents are responsible for making alternate arrangements for childcare on provider’s personal days.
I love this!!! Thank you!!!
originalkat 02:31 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
I love this!!! Thank you!!!
No problem. Happy to share!
melissa ann 02:48 PM 06-16-2010
If I close, I don't charge. I take 10 holidays off, one week vacation and 5 personal days.
If they take a vacation, the 1st week is 1/2 their rate after that, it's their normal rate.
Tags:vacation policy
Reply Up