Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Respond To This Email?
CedarCreek 08:30 AM 06-14-2013
I got an email today responding to an ad I have on craigslist. The Mom asked some questions and I responded. This was her final response after I answered her questions:

I would like to come tour your home, and meet with you to have a face-to-face interview! I'm available Wednesday, and Thursday next week! I would like to see the daycare "in action" as well as have a one-on-one with you when your not working if your okay with that! Let me know what works for you! Thank you!

How would you respond to that? I feel like she is asking for two interviews! And i'm not big on letting her hang out to see the kids "in action".

Maybe i'm being too harsh? Just fyi, she's wanting to remove her son from the center he is currently at because she feels as though he is being picked on by the other children too much.
craftymissbeth 08:38 AM 06-14-2013
I personally don't do interviews while other kids are here anymore. The last interview I had while kids were here the mom walked in, looked at DCB and said "wow, he sure has a noggin". Yeah, his head is abnormally large, but we don't know you, lady, and that's inappropriate. I just smiled and said "on second thought, I'm full. It sure was pleasant meeting you."

Never thought I would have a backbone so early in the game (thank you daycare.com for that!).

Anyway, so I just tell potential parents that for the privacy of current clients I don't hold interviews while kids are here.
youretooloud 08:38 AM 06-14-2013
I would want to talk on the phone first, then go from there.

Before enrolling a child, I always have them come during daycare hours to play with the kids and see it in action.

But, I have never had a complete stranger interview. They always know someone that is already here, or they work at the same school, or something. So, it doesn't feel like i'm letting some random person in my house with the daycare.
daycare 08:40 AM 06-14-2013
to each their own, but I would do what she is asking..

I would do a quick tour no more than 20 min. let her bring her child

I would then invite them both back for circle time one day and tell them they can stay max 20 minutes

I would tell her that she can schedule a phone meeting with you, after.
cheerfuldom 08:42 AM 06-14-2013
I dont allow interviews during daycare hours. The daycare parents are hiring ME, not checking out playmates and disrupting the days care. Even if she was to check out the kids and how everyone played together, these group of kids could be totally different in four weeks. I wouldnt want any daycare parent to become attached to particular kids in the group or ask for special treatment because they feel their son was bullied at the old daycare. I would ask about the previous situation and what facts she has regarding mistreatment. she may just be high maintenance mom looking for special treatment or perhaps her own child was the instigator or was viewing normal play as "they are being mean to me"
Heidi 08:43 AM 06-14-2013
I would set up the private interview first. If that goes well, she can come back for a short visit with her child while the others are there. Make sure she understands that during that time, the children are your priority, as children typically act up a bit when a stranger is around.

You arrange the time, and tell her that the visit would need to short.

That is actually how I do all my interviews.
littlemissmuffet 08:46 AM 06-14-2013
Honestly... I would say "Sorry, I filled my space. Good luck in your continued search!"

She sounds high-maintenance and I don't deal well with parents like that. I also don't allow parents passed the front entrance during daycare hours.
CedarCreek 08:47 AM 06-14-2013
Thanks everyone!

I do get a feeling that she is high maintenance and might be wanting special.

I will offer her the private interview first and feel her out. Right now, there isn't much for her to see in action anyway because 3 of my kiddos are often out with their teacher parents.
MarinaVanessa 08:48 AM 06-14-2013
I'd respond with how you do things. If you only do one interview and its not during DC hours then just say so. I personally have the first interview during non daycare hours and a second "interview" that's shorter (30mins) and more like a playdate where one parent stays here during that time. I personally just do it because I want to see how the child is with the other kids and what the parent/child dynamic is while the child is here. Does the parent hover? Does the parent correct behavior? Etc.

If you don't do that I'd respond with ...
"Dear Parent,
Thanks again for the interest in my DC. I would love to have an interview to meet you. For safety and privacy reasons I hold interviews during non-daycare hours and I am available on both days that you specified between 6pm-6:45pm. Please let me know which day works best for you.

I do not hold "in action" interviews where a parent stays at the daycare during daycare hours because my clients appreciate that I don't bring unknown adults around their children. I am sure that you can understand that safety is our first priority. If after meeting me you still feel unsure about the arrangeement perhaps we can work out a series of short playdates for your child where you drop your child off for an hour at the rate of $x for the hour. This may also help your child transition better to a new environment with new children.

Let me know if this will work for you. I look forward to meeting with you.

DC provider. "

And then just leave it up to them. If they don't feel comfortable with that and you don't feel comfortable with having them come and stay during DC hours then move on. Don't to anything you're apprehensive over.
itlw8 08:51 AM 06-14-2013
I only do interviews after hours for the safety of the children enrolled in my program. I would be glad to meet with you Tuesday at 5:30 for an interview. If you are then interested in enrolling I would encourage you to come by Thursday at 9:30 for a quick visit so your child can meet the other children.
daycare 08:54 AM 06-14-2013
sorry yes...always phone interview first... You may find that they are not a fit right then and there and you don't want to waste anyones time....
daycare 08:58 AM 06-14-2013
When I didnt have an assistant, I would not allow for parents to come during hours. Recently in my town there was an incident that occurred in a center that has the whole town in an up roar. If I did not allow them parents come to see my program and see that I am an open book, I know that they would just move on.

I have a pretty good radar for people, If I even thought for a second that the person rubbed me the wrong way during the phone interview or the tour, I would not allow them to come back for a sneak-peek at my program with kids here.

So far, they have all gone very well....

Oh yeah, I do tell the prospective client that the kids are normally crazy when other adults are around...
momofboys 09:01 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
to each their own, but I would do what she is asking..

I would do a quick tour no more than 20 min. let her bring her child

I would then invite them both back for circle time one day and tell them they can stay max 20 minutesI would tell her that she can schedule a phone meeting with you, after.
^^^^ like this!!! I can see it both ways but if you put limitations on the stay I would be ok with it!
blandino 09:20 AM 06-14-2013
The way she described is exactly how I do interviews.

First I schedule an interview while the daycare is closed, so I can meet with the parent and child alone and have a real conversation, to get a feel if we are a good fit. I don't feel comfortable inviting a stranger to the hose while DCK are present, and I just can't have the kind of conversation I want to have while caring for DCK.

Then if things go well, and parents wish, they can come by while the children are present. I try and do this in te afternoon while parents are coming in, so they can meet with parents and also so the numbers are dwindling a little, so I have less responsibilities and more time to talk.

The last new DCK we had, I let DCM come over initially while there were kids here, and it really overwhelmed me to have to talk with her and fulfill my obligations with the DCK.
Crazy8 09:26 AM 06-14-2013
I don't think her request is that out there as many do it that way and she has probably read online somewhere that that is the best way to find a daycare!

But I do not allow strangers in my home when kids are present. All interviews are after hours only. If they don't feel ok with me after that than I am not the right person for them.
Laurel 09:46 AM 06-14-2013
I also do an after hours interview first. Then if they seem okay, they can come while I am watching the children but not for too long.

One time I had a 'dad' call me. He said he was married and he wanted to come over that day while the children were here to see me in 'action.' I got a creepy feeling and I explained the above. He got a little upset so I told him why. I told him that I don't allow someone I've never met to be around the chidren I watch. He got more upset. I tried to appease him by saying "Think of it this way. If your child was in my care and I let complete strangers come to the house, how would you feel?" Even that didn't work so I knew he wasn't coming in my house. Then he really got upset so I just said "Sorry, it isn't going to happen no matter what you say." He hung up.

I also have my husband or grown son with me in the house for any interview. I figure you can never be too careful.

Laurel
daycare 10:23 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Honestly... I would say "Sorry, I filled my space. Good luck in your continued search!"

She sounds high-maintenance and I don't deal well with parents like that. I also don't allow parents passed the front entrance during daycare hours.
Can you really tell just from one email how someone will be?

I also would not lie and say that the spot is filled, because what are you going to say when the parent still sees your ad our there or her friend gets enrolled??

I honestly do not think that there is enough details or information to go off of based off of that email. I would still move forward and have a phone interview first and then get a good feel for them.

I have gone as far as phone interview, one on one tour, class time visit, second phone interview and then decided sorry we are not a good fit.
countrymom 10:41 AM 06-14-2013
def. a phone interview. This way you can ask her questions.

I don't do interviews when the kids are present (I do it doing nap time) because we all know how kids act when they see new people.

second, you can't discipline the parents kid. I had a boy come and smack the kids in the head and mom and dad coddle him when the other kid hit him back.

how does the mom know the other kids are picking on him. Is he telling her, did she talk to caregivers, what action was taken. Becareful that it acually isn't her child being the bully and he was being asked to leave. Don't be afraid to ask mom the questions.
AmyKidsCo 02:26 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I would set up the private interview first. If that goes well, she can come back for a short visit with her child while the others are there. Make sure she understands that during that time, the children are your priority, as children typically act up a bit when a stranger is around.
Ditto. You can tell her that it's a matter of security and that you're sure she wouldn't want strangers popping in and watching her child.
Cradle2crayons 05:01 PM 06-14-2013
I always do a phone interview first. Then if I get a good vibe, I invite them in for an interview during business hours. I have permission from parents so this isn't a problem.
Starburst 12:50 PM 06-15-2013
I would tell her that you cant promise anything as far as "Seeing you in action", but that you always do an initial interview first after hours (in person or on the phone) for the safety of the children and yourself. In cases like that I would do a 1/2 hour phone interview then move to an after hours home tour (with her child present), then if you feel safe enough you can let her sit in and observe for a half hour during daycare hours during a group activity (without her child present for free; but if she brings the child in she must pay the 1/2 day rate {if the child is present in your program during hours they still count for your numbers; may also discourage her from wanting to do an observation}). I would also push to do the observation without her child present because she needs to see how you interact with the group you have now and what a typical day is for you as of now, after all the children have been with you for a while. A new child may be scared and act up more, which can make you look bad; especially if its her child that is having the hard time.
Tags:interview
Reply Up