Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>They Run Around The House So We Go Outside...
DaisyMamma 06:50 AM 07-17-2014
And they want to sit next to me on the front steps

Obviously I don't allow it but it irritates me beyond belief.
cheerfuldom 06:52 AM 07-17-2014
yup. i have to force the kids here off the back patio and out into the yard. they will be climbing all over inside and then we go out and they all want my chair. crazy kids.
preschoolteacher 06:52 AM 07-17-2014
Yes, happens all the time here too!!
permanentvacation 06:54 AM 07-17-2014
Yep! Same thing here for years with all sorts of different kids.
coolconfidentme 07:31 AM 07-17-2014
I just texted DCH "How many times in 10 minutes can a person say GO PLAY?!?!"
Heidi 07:35 AM 07-17-2014
haha! I thought I was the only one with this problem.

I found that I CANNOT sit down outside. If I do, they cling. So, I end up walking around, picking weeds, or sometimes making bubbles or leading a song.
Mine are all toddlers 10-19 months.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 07-17-2014
I have a "mean mommy" solution to this issue.

When we go outside, I bring some goodies with me.

Freezies/slushies (when it's hot) stickers, penny candy, special new toys ect.

When I see a child running and playing for a certain length of time, I will invite them to come have a break and eat a treat in the shade or choose a reward from the basket.

I don't require them to run and play for a set amount of time, just until I'm satisfied they are engaging and playing and not just "looking" busy (you get very skilled in knowing the difference) so that they can earn a reward.

I sometimes do this just for afternoon outside time and sometimes I do it on a larger scale and tell my older kids to play outside and if they actually PLAY outside then I allow those kids to use the sprinkler later or play with the super soakers or water table....

The kids who were just moping and sitting did not work up enough exhaustion to "need" to cool off and participate in those types of activities.

As for the running in the house issue... I don't allow the kids to be on their feet to play. They can move from one activity to another and can use the bathroom etc and do all the normal things kids do but 80% or more of our play happens in the sitting position.
Indianadaycare 08:30 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a "mean mommy" solution to this issue.

When we go outside, I bring some goodies with me.

Freezies/slushies (when it's hot) stickers, penny candy, special new toys ect.

When I see a child running and playing for a certain length of time, I will invite them to come have a break and eat a treat in the shade or choose a reward from the basket.

I don't require them to run and play for a set amount of time, just until I'm satisfied they are engaging and playing and not just "looking" busy (you get very skilled in knowing the difference) so that they can earn a reward.

I sometimes do this just for afternoon outside time and sometimes I do it on a larger scale and tell my older kids to play outside and if they actually PLAY outside then I allow those kids to use the sprinkler later or play with the super soakers or water table....

The kids who were just moping and sitting did not work up enough exhaustion to "need" to cool off and participate in those types of activities.
I love this idea!!
AmyKidsCo 03:17 PM 07-17-2014
Knock on wood, I never have this problem with the older ones - my problem is getting them to stop playing to come inside when I have to make lunch. The 12 mo olds start to get hungry, tired, and clingy about 5 min before we go in... Cuz I can stand about 5 min of that then we NEED to go in.
Stepping 04:39 PM 07-17-2014
Soooo glad this isn't just me. I feel like I spend all morning saying 'no running inside' 'use your inside voices'. And then all of playtime saying 'go play!!!!!'

mamamanda 05:13 PM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
As for the running in the house issue... I don't allow the kids to be on their feet to play. They can move from one activity to another and can use the bathroom etc and do all the normal things kids do but 80% or more of our play happens in the sitting position.
Black Cat,
I love that you said this because I worry that I am being mean b/c I am constantly saying find an activity and sit on your bottom. I've got 3 climbers and I have to redirect constantly to keep them off of the furniture. Do you do this with young kids as well? Mine are 2-4 year olds. I was worried I was stifling their creativity by making them sit to play so much, but whenever I let them play more actively inside they turn crazy in a matter of minutes. ( Somehow I messed up copying the quote part of that. I'm sorry. I'm terrible with technology.)
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Black Cat,
I love that you said this because I worry that I am being mean b/c I am constantly saying find an activity and sit on your bottom. I've got 3 climbers and I have to redirect constantly to keep them off of the furniture. Do you do this with young kids as well? Mine are 2-4 year olds. I was worried I was stifling their creativity by making them sit to play so much, but whenever I let them play more actively inside they turn crazy in a matter of minutes. ( Somehow I messed up copying the quote part of that. I'm sorry. I'm terrible with technology.)
I do this with ALL kids over age 2.

I have a separate toddler room that my under 2's play in. I don't think they even know how to sit down. I have a Little Tikes cube climber in the toddler area so they ARE free to run and climb but ONLY in that area.

I understand how some might think having to play only while sitting, but it boils down to safety for me.

I have to do what I have to do to protect the kids I have in care and ME and my business and since kids rarely have good impulse control, I can't trust that they won't run or won't forget to be mellow verses running amok so instead of just leaving it up to them, I just remove the possibility of someone running over someone else or someone tripping etc by not allowing them to be up on their feet all the time.

Now, this doesn't mean the kids are forced to stay on their tushies all day, it just means once you (the child)are engaged in an activity and it isn't a transition time, you should be sitting and playing safely in your area. It's that simple.

My priority is safety above most everything else.
Reply Up