Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Handbook & Contract
Pink Pear 08:16 AM 04-09-2018
Hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum for a long time and I finally have the courage to participate in the discussion. Anyways, so I've been working on my parent handbook and contract for a long time, and I am starting to feel frustrated. Can anyone please share their parent handbook and contract with me?
Lil_Diddle 10:39 AM 04-09-2018
A contract can be something that is very individual and personalized to each provider’s needs and availability. And a handbook is ever growing of things you are going to learn as you go along. This is my 9th year in home childcare and I’ve just updated my handbook once again.

Is there something in particular you are having trouble with?
And I’m sorry, I won’t share my entire handbook as it’s something I’ve put a lot of work and time into and I wouldn’t want to just hand it over.
LysesKids 12:06 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Pink Pear:
Hi everyone,
I've been reading this forum for a long time and I finally have the courage to participate in the discussion. Anyways, so I've been working on my parent handbook and contract for a long time, and I am starting to feel frustrated. Can anyone please share their parent handbook and contract with me?
I'm with Lil Diddle... Contracts & handbooks vary greatly. In fact some states require specific policies be written in them due to regulations, like illness, discipline, mandated reporter, what to do if you have to evacuate in an emergency etc.

I'm in my 18th year & my handbook is nothing near what it was even 5 years ago. You need to figure out what works for your childcare and go from there because the handbook will always evolve
LittleExplorers 12:23 PM 04-09-2018
Daycarelady.com has some free forms, my state and county provided some and then I took what was required and added what was important to me. There are also a lot of daycare forums to get ideas from on Facebook. It is such a personal thing. What are you stuck on?
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 04-09-2018
I think you can find my handbook on Etsy.
I think the gal is asking $80 for it.

Most states require you to include specific information in your handbook. I would definitely check those requirements first.
Then I would look over the example handbook on thedaycarelady.com and start with that.

Use the heading info provided and write out your rules/policies in your own words under each heading.

Like another poster mentioned... your handbook will be a constantly evolving part of your business.

Some of the things I have in my handbook now are things I could never have enforced when I first started out in the business. Your handbook really should be a reflection of you and your business. It's the first thing potential clients have access to upon beginning care.

As for participating and posting on the forum board....POST AWAY!! Don't be shy! We are a super friendly and helpful bunch here and there is no such thing as too many posts or too many questions!

So please don't be shy! We are here to help!
CityGarden 12:46 PM 04-09-2018
Are you willing to let us know what areas are making you feel frustrated? I think you would get answers that and more direct to helping that way....

You can google daycare handbook and get books to look at but they will not address what you may want/need. I have been open just over a year and have three different contract drafts until I found the a version that worked for me....
Snowmom 12:46 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Does she still have it listed?

I can share my table of contents to help get you started:
Contents
1. Deposit/Enrollment Fees
2. Enrollment Forms
3. Arriving to Daycare
4. Rates
5. Late Pick Up
6. Extended Absence
7. Holidays
8. Provider Illness/Vacation
9. Preschool
10. Meals/Snacks
11. Communication Policy
12. Termination of Care
13. Items from Home
14. Child Illness Policy
15. Medications
16. Injuries
17. Toilet Training
18. Drop Off/Pick Up
19. Child Abuse
20. Fire Safety
21. Lice
22. Nap/Rest Time
23. Discipline
24. Miscellaneous (Photo release)
25. Signatures
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
She does...but it looks like she's re-written it and instead of plagiarizing me she's just using Nan's stuff instead!
CityGarden 01:07 PM 04-09-2018
She does...but it looks like she's re-written it and instead of plagiarizing me she's just using Nan's stuff instead!
What a shame.
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
What a shame.
Right?!
But I do know that like I said above.... handbooks are so unique and individual and they really should be a reflection of the provider and the program not just a big list of rules and policies.

So while I was super PO'ed at first, I started to realize that she (the handbook thief NOT the OP) can talk the talk but she'll have to walk the walk too and I don't think she can...kwim?
storybookending 01:37 PM 04-09-2018
I’ll never forget this day hahaha
Pink Pear 02:11 PM 04-09-2018
I"ve been dreaming about opening my daycare for a long time, and now that it's reality I'm not sure what to expect from parents or what ask of them. For instance, when it comes to infant meals do you think it's better to ask parents for food or provide it? Also, what kind of things should I ask parents to bring?

Thanks for all your responses.
LysesKids 02:23 PM 04-09-2018
Does that Chick never give up?
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Pink Pear:
I"ve been dreaming about opening my daycare for a long time, and now that it's reality I'm not sure what to expect from parents or what ask of them. For instance, when it comes to infant meals do you think it's better to ask parents for food or provide it? Also, what kind of things should I ask parents to bring?

Thanks for all your responses.
If you are licensed I would join the food program.

The food program will reimburse you for the meals and snacks you serve to the children in care.

Some providers have parents supply food others supply all the food. It's what works for you. No right or wrong.

I suggest reading as many threads on this forum as you can read. At first you'll probably have more questions the more you read but that's okay...we all started out that way.... read, ask, read some more, ask some more.

That is how we learn what works best for us and our business. After 2.5 decades into this job and I am still learning new things every day!

Just keep reading and posting!!
Pretty soon, you'll look back and see just how much you've learned and know!
Pink Pear 09:11 PM 04-09-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

I can share my table of contents to help get you started:
Contents
1. Deposit/Enrollment Fees
2. Enrollment Forms
3. Arriving to Daycare
4. Rates
5. Late Pick Up
6. Extended Absence
7. Holidays
8. Provider Illness/Vacation
9. Preschool
10. Meals/Snacks
11. Communication Policy
12. Termination of Care
13. Items from Home
14. Child Illness Policy
15. Medications
16. Injuries
17. Toilet Training
18. Drop Off/Pick Up
19. Child Abuse
20. Fire Safety
21. Lice
22. Nap/Rest Time
23. Discipline
24. Miscellaneous (Photo release)
25. Signatures
Thank you! This helps a lot.
nannyde 05:34 AM 04-10-2018
Ugh
I don't want to spend 80 bucks to see everything she stole. I see the changing of the guard stuff in the preview.
Tags:handbook - sample
Reply Up