Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child That Is Constantly Sick
Lorna 09:10 AM 02-09-2013
Have you ever cancelled a childs daycare because they were constantly sick. I know it might sound harsh but I have a child that is constantly sick. At first I thought because it was his first year of daycare but then I seen that his brother that isn't in my care is also always sick. This child has been in my care since the fall and he has been sick at least 8 times. He is a toddler so he is too young to get the cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. and he puts things in his mouth. So everytime he gets sick all the other kids get sick. I send his home when he has diareaha, vomits or has a fever. I can't prove it but I'm pretty sure that the mom sent him tylenoled a few months ago. So now I am really nervous that she will do it again. Really if he has a fever in the afternoon when the advil or tylenol wears off I can't prove she had used it. I don't charge the parents when the child is sick. They have to miss work and they don't get paid so I think that is fair. But because of this child. I don't get paid when he isn't here, then the other kids are all getting sick and again I don't get paid. Heard on Friday now that the brother is home vomiting with the flu. So now we are going to be doing this again. Thinking the easiest way might be to make up some excuse that I can't take him anymore. I live in a small town and I really don't want to hear about them talking about me around town. But I'm so tired of being sick. My daughter is getting sick as well. uggh
providerandmomof4 10:29 AM 02-09-2013
I charge the same no matter what. I can't imagine not being able to count on my weekly payments. I have parents that have their kids out sick and unfortunately if they don't have paid time off, then they are out money. I'm still here running a dc whether they need to take little Johnny to the dentist or doctor, or just want to keep him home because they have the day off. I think that if parents knew that I wouldn't charge if the child was sick they would be milking it every time they were a little short on cash...kwim? This is standard policy here. I think that if you considered this option it may alleviate a little of your stress about the family constantly being ill. I have dck that seem to be ill a lot this time of year...tis the season but at least I don't have to worry about potentially not being able to pay the bills because a child may be out sick. Hope this helps
butterfly 03:16 PM 02-09-2013
I would suggest changing your policy to a flat rate. They need to pay whether their child is there or not. That way you still get paid. I understand your wanting to not charge for that time, but I don't think that's fair to you. You need to earn a living too. It may work out that they don't like the idea of having to pay for time when they aren't there and then they'll term themselves anyways.
mbullette 04:15 PM 02-09-2013
My first year I didnt charge when the kids were not here. I had at least 1-2 kids out weekly if not more. I was not making it and so this year I went to a flat rate. I need to make sure I have that income coming in weekly. My parents have paid sick/vacation days and also have family around here. If I am here and open they are going to pay no matter if they are here or not. I only had one family get upset but I didnt really care. I have a 4 month old that is sick constantly. She was a preemie and she is sick weekly. It seems once she gets rid of one cold another is back. She is usually out at least once a week. I have thought about terming just because she gets all the other kids sick. I would seriously go to a flat weekly rate and then you dont have to worry and you know you have that income coming in weekly. It has made things so much easier for me.
Lorna 08:12 AM 02-12-2013
Yep I'm going to have to tell the parents flat rate for fulltime per week. Now this woman tells me this morning that husband is off the next 3 days and will be staying home with his father. She said she would drop off payment on Friday the day it was due. She didn't say anything about not paying me for those 3 days. But I think the father might have lost his job. I'm just going to wait til Friday and see what they pay me. If they take off the 3 days I'll just tell them he can't come back til they pay what they owe. I have in my manual if you are taking days off you have to let me know 2 weeks in advance. This is the day before.

oh some kids and their families are just more trouble than they are worth!
AngiesCareXYZ 09:29 AM 03-01-2013
I completely agree. I have kids that come in sick and the parents know that I get paid whether the kids are here or not. I sit down with all new parents and explain this very clearly. Still the parents try to get out of paying if the kids don't come to dc. I feel like I have to constantly defend my policy. It really bothers me that the parents unspokenly tell me that I am just there to watch their child and I need to comply or else. As much as I love the kids and need the income from that child, sometimes you just have to tell the parent that it is time for them to leave. I think I will be needing to do that with a parent that has been with me for a yr now. She just keeps using and abusing.
Reply Up