Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Blackcat, Can You Tell Me About Your Reading Incentive Program
allsmiles 10:18 AM 05-15-2013
i remember glancing over it one day recently, now i cant find it..
i want to incorporate a reading time during naptime for the school agers but i wanted to make it a game or competition of sorts..
anyone else have any ideas?
Michelle 10:30 AM 05-15-2013
our school did a "read 1,000 books" contest
after the kids read their books and logged it... principal did a slide down a slip and slide but the slip n slide had relish, ketchup, eggs , water, sardines etc.

They begged for this contest every year!

allsmiles 10:32 AM 05-15-2013
hahaha!! thats hilarious.. what a good sport that principal was heehee
jessrlee 10:48 AM 05-15-2013
Our library has one every year with some great prizes! You can also do Barnes and noble, and borders
Jewels 10:56 AM 05-15-2013
I have a couple different incentives, I will allow my school age boys to read for video game time I do cap it though and its not for everyday, my own son has to earn his video game time this way as well, he can earn his video game time from doing extra workbooks(spelling, reading comp, writing, math) or reading books, however long he works on stuff he can accumulate time, for the weekends or evenings or car rides, he's been reading since he was 4 so this has always been his rule, he is now 6, and this will continue to be his video game rule..........as for the other kids, I will make up a big poster and draw a popcorn tub on it, or an ice cream cone or a pizza slice, and when it gets filled to the top with 100 books read, we will have a pizza party, an ice cream sundae party, and a movie and popcorn party, I just do this in the summer and a couple other times throughout the year, I might up the amount of books this time though, as I have another 4 yr old that will easily read 20 books per day(I have taught all my daycare kids to read by the time they go into kindy), its her favorite thing to do, and I will count books children read on their own, and the books I read for story time.
allsmiles 11:04 AM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I have a couple different incentives, I will allow my school age boys to read for video game time I do cap it though and its not for everyday, my own son has to earn his video game time this way as well, he can earn his video game time from doing extra workbooks(spelling, reading comp, writing, math) or reading books, however long he works on stuff he can accumulate time, for the weekends or evenings or car rides, he's been reading since he was 4 so this has always been his rule, he is now 6, and this will continue to be his video game rule..........as for the other kids, I will make up a big poster and draw a popcorn tub on it, or an ice cream cone or a pizza slice, and when it gets filled to the top with 100 books read, we will have a pizza party, an ice cream sundae party, and a movie and popcorn party, I just do this in the summer and a couple other times throughout the year, I might up the amount of books this time though, as I have another 4 yr old that will easily read 20 books per day(I have taught all my daycare kids to read by the time they go into kindy), its her favorite thing to do, and I will count books children read on their own, and the books I read for story time.

great idea! thanks
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 05-15-2013
Originally Posted by allsmiles:
i remember glancing over it one day recently, now i cant find it..
i want to incorporate a reading time during naptime for the school agers but i wanted to make it a game or competition of sorts..
anyone else have any ideas?
I'm sorry. I just saw this post.

I used to do a summer reading incentive program for my SA kids. Mostly because I LOVE reading and wanted to foster continued reading throughout the summer and to get boys to want to read since a lot of them hate it.

What I did was got a whole bunch of chapter books for kids age 6-9 and allowed each child to "check out" a book (like the library) and read it. They could take it home or read it at daycare or both. When they were done, I would quiz them about it. What was the plot line, who were the main characters, what happened and why and what would you do if you were that character etc etc...

Then they would earn a star.

For every 5 stars they earned, they were allowed to choose a special activity or a special treat. ( I used field trips to the park, Dairy Queen, a museum or somewhere fun and also bought a few toys that cost about $5 each) They could choose either one.

The reader who read the most books by the end of summer got a trophy (I bought a $10 plastic trophy) and they also got to help me plan our annual "back to school" party.

They got to choose the food, the games and the theme.

It was a win-win for everyone.

The SA kids spent a lot of time reading during the summer (read: NOT bothering me or the other kids... ) and they honed up on their reading skills too. Plus there were prizes too!

HTH
Reply Up