Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inspection At Inopportune Time..
MARSTELAC 06:25 PM 10-27-2011
So...(BIG Vent HERE)...
Had an unnannounced inspection today that lasted close to 1.5 hours. No problem. I never (usually) mind any inspections. The problem was...I had 4 kids here at the time, the school bus was due during that time as was afternoon snack. Parents started arriving early, minutes before snack would have been served. I couldn't find several of the kids' things because the inspection had just ended, we were wrapping things up and trying to feed an infant, change a child, and greet school kids. Needless to say, it was a tad choatic.

I sensed that several parents were highly agitated in the fact that I was not ready for food service nor was I ready for the outgoing kids to depart.

I've never had an interruption like this that would occur during this time of day. Has this ever happened to any of you? Were parents annoyed? I apologized but told them I had a very long inspection.

I need a hug.
themoorethemerrier 06:34 PM 10-27-2011
((((HUG)))) I hate inspections - I feel like an insect.
SilverSabre25 07:12 PM 10-27-2011
((HUG)) Hopefully the parents will understand that it was beyond your control. How frustrating!
mom2many 07:27 PM 10-27-2011
What a horrible day for you and sending you a big huge hug! I have had some at bad times as well and it can be extremely stressful.

I'm sure the parents weren't upset with you, b/c you had absolutely no control over the situation.They were probably just annoyed that it disrupted the usual care their child receives.

At least that one is behind you and tomorrow is Friday!
sharlan 07:41 PM 10-27-2011
Cyber hugs to you.

I totally understand the need for unannounced inspections, I really do. Now having said that, they are a royal pain for those that don't have assistants. They expect you to drop everything to deal with them, but they forget that you have children who's needs must come first.

I did have one lady years ago, that told me to finish fixing lunch and she would just sit and wait. Knowing that would prolong the visit, I gave her the kids' files to start going through.

I don't know why it hit me, but today just before I left to walk over to the school, I thought, what if licensing showed up right now. I have to leave, there's no choice.

If you are loading up to leave, and they show up, what then?
mom2many 08:15 PM 10-27-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Cyber hugs to you.

I totally understand the need for unannounced inspections, I really do. Now having said that, they are a royal pain for those that don't have assistants. They expect you to drop everything to deal with them, but they forget that you have children who's needs must come first.

I did have one lady years ago, that told me to finish fixing lunch and she would just sit and wait. Knowing that would prolong the visit, I gave her the kids' files to start going through.

I don't know why it hit me, but today just before I left to walk over to the school, I thought, what if licensing showed up right now. I have to leave, there's no choice.

If you are loading up to leave, and they show up, what then?
Actually this did happen to me one time. I was fastening a child into their car seat and about to leave to pick up the S/A kids, when a licensing analyst strolled up my driveway. I told her where I was headed and she was kind enough to come back later to conduct the visit.

At my last unannounced visit, the licensing analyst came after lunch and was still here, when it was time for me to leave to pick up the S/A kids. Fortunately my husband was home and was able to leave to go do the pick up for me, so I could stay and wrap things up.

It's not always the best of timing...but somehow it always works out.
2ndFamilyDC 06:56 AM 10-28-2011
There is never a good time for an inspection. They stress me out to no end.

And with all the interruptions from kids the inspection takes much longer

then it would otherwise.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
AmandasFCC 07:14 AM 10-28-2011
That sounds awful As much as I dislike licensing, I am grateful that my licensor doesn't really interfere with much when she's here. She asks me a couple questions, looks at my files, walks around, and generally by the time she's ready to go over it with me the kids are quietly sitting watching Sesame Street and she's just interfering with me making sandwiches. Whenever she shows up I change lunch to something easy. I always make sure I have lots of quick sandwich options on hand for that specific purpose. In 2 years she has never come any later than 10am .
MarinaVanessa 07:30 AM 10-28-2011
I have learned not to let the fact that I was being inspected interfere with my day. Whenever someone from licensing comes by I send them on their way on their own. I usually get strange looks from them but my job is to tend to the kids and that's exactly what I plan on doing.

The worker can check and inspect everything they want and ask me questions if they need to without me having to stop what I'm doing. I keep my DC files in a small plastic file bin which I have CLEARLY labeled and organized. I take it out of the closet and leave it on the kitchen table and tell them to have at it.

I know it irritates them sometimes but why should I be the one to be irritated? They can do their job just as well without me standing right there. They take FOREVER!

Once I was talking to a worker and one dcb came over and asked me for a hug and the licensor (not to kindly) told him that I couldn't because I was busy. I gave her the stink eye and told dcb "Of course I can give you a hug. It's what I get paid for" kneeled down and gave him a hug. She wasn't pleased but c'mon, it didn't take more than 3 seconds to give him a hug. If I would have listened to her dcb would have hounded me until I finally gave him a hug .
MARSTELAC 08:02 AM 10-28-2011
....I don't even mind inspections and my lady is super easy to get along with....it was just such a bad time of day for me and then parents started arriving and kids had to get snacks (which I didn't have ready), had missing clothes, diaper changes, just utter chaos. I will have a back-up snack for next time it happens and try not to let it bother me so much. I had never had an inspection at that time of day. My only little break that is just before kids get up from nap was gone. You all know we don't get many, if any, breaks so it just made for a yucky day. At least I passed with flying colors, as usual.
Thanks all for the ear.
Mrs. M
morgan24 08:28 AM 10-28-2011
I feel for you , my food program came at 3:20 missed the little kids snack so she stayed until 4:00 to see the school age kids get their snack. In the mean time I had a pick up, my husband got home from work and then 4 school age kids hit the door like a tornado. Thankfully she is nice and patient.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
....I don't even mind inspections and my lady is super easy to get along with....it was just such a bad time of day for me and then parents started arriving and kids had to get snacks (which I didn't have ready), had missing clothes, diaper changes, just utter chaos. I will have a back-up snack for next time it happens and try not to let it bother me so much. I had never had an inspection at that time of day. My only little break that is just before kids get up from nap was gone. You all know we don't get many, if any, breaks so it just made for a yucky day. At least I passed with flying colors, as usual.
Thanks all for the ear.
Mrs. M
((((hugs)))) for it being so chaotic.

Congratulations for passing with flying colors

As far as the snack thing goes, I tell all my parents that snack times are approximate. If our day gets crazy or interupted, then our snack time will be off. If the kids ate a big enough lunch, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, when parents pick up their children I guess I feel like they should really understand how many things we really do at one time and not be upset about a missed or late snack. They can always take their child home and feed them. I completley understand what you mean though about feeling bad.

I would just be a bit upset (or even hurt) if the parents were really angry at me considering all you do over a late snack or the atmosphere being a bit crazy/disorganized at the time.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:54 PM 10-28-2011
All I have to say is thank the lord I am not licenced.

Im sorry but after reading all of your post's, It just sounds like a big inconvienience to have these people come to your home un announced and try to find something you are doing wrong.

It's not like we are out to hurt all of these kids. Geeezzz what a PITA.
dave4him 05:29 PM 10-28-2011
Gee i cant wait for my first.... shes pretty nice though so should be easy enough
Tags:inspection, inspection - unannounced
Reply Up