Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ever Cry In Front Of The Kids?
Christina72684 11:44 AM 01-30-2014
The day started out fine.....low numbers so I was able to leave at nap to do my weekly grocery shopping which is awesome because I didn't have to take my 2 kids Saturday morning which takes twice as long! Then while I was gone I get a phone call that my dad has to have a heart cath next week and more than likely get stints, again. I get back and 3 of my 4 preschoolers (including my daughter) didn't nap which really annoys me, and the schools had an early dismissal which makes napping now nearly impossible. Then over at my "baby house" one of my workers has to leave to take her daughter to the doctor, leaving one worker with 5 kids, which is fine, but I always get nervous when there's one person at each building....I'm just waiting for something to go wrong. And to add to the pile my dad's heart cath is next Wednesday which is the one day we have our highest numbers, 2 of my PT workers go to college and can't work, and the other PT worker has another job so she has limited hours she can work, and my MIL is our "sub" but she had an interview today so she might not be able to work.....yet somehow my mom has to take the day off to be with my dad. So I'm so clueless as to how to make that whole day work!

I've been doing good to hold back the tears but it's hard.....
melilley 11:48 AM 01-30-2014
I hope everything works out!

Yes I have cried in front of the kids, just yesterday in fact. Not too professional, but I just couldn't help it. Sometimes it just happens.
butterfly 11:50 AM 01-30-2014

I would close if you needed to. I don't think I could work while my dad was having that type of procedure, but I'm extremely close to my dad.

Praying for you and your dad!
Annalee 11:51 AM 01-30-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
The day started out fine.....low numbers so I was able to leave at nap to do my weekly grocery shopping which is awesome because I didn't have to take my 2 kids Saturday morning which takes twice as long! Then while I was gone I get a phone call that my dad has to have a heart cath next week and more than likely get stints, again. I get back and 3 of my 4 preschoolers (including my daughter) didn't nap which really annoys me, and the schools had an early dismissal which makes napping now nearly impossible. Then over at my "baby house" one of my workers has to leave to take her daughter to the doctor, leaving one worker with 5 kids, which is fine, but I always get nervous when there's one person at each building....I'm just waiting for something to go wrong. And to add to the pile my dad's heart cath is next Wednesday which is the one day we have our highest numbers, 2 of my PT workers go to college and can't work, and the other PT worker has another job so she has limited hours she can work, and my MIL is our "sub" but she had an interview today so she might not be able to work.....yet somehow my mom has to take the day off to be with my dad. So I'm so clueless as to how to make that whole day work!

I've been doing good to hold back the tears but it's hard.....
It is OK to cry. Children can learn alot by simply knowing it is OK to cry. Take care of yourself and family even if you need to close to be there that day. We can't get time back. Prayers are with you.
rosieteddy 11:58 AM 01-30-2014
Yes I have ,more than once.The worst was when my husband took the two dogs out for a walk.As he left the little dogs leash broke and she ran in the street and was hit ad died in my arms.I will never forget the 6 little faces looking over the gate as I held the dog. This was 3 yrs ago and they talked about it daily. I explained that grown-ups cry and get sad too. I think its all part of being ,for me "family DC" .I think if you need to be at the hospital for your Mom and Dad you should close that day.Maybe one facility could stay open. I do feel in this bussiness its harder to take time off.Do what is best for you ,no regrets.Hope every thing works out .
hgonzalez 12:10 PM 01-30-2014
Yes, I have. My Mom was in end-of-life hospice care about 5 weeks ago. I kept trying to work, but took two days off to be with her. I ended up working on the day she passed away. When I got the phone call, even though it was expected, I just started sobbing. It was during nap time, but some of the kids woke up and I ended up sequestering myself in the bathroom crying.

I was worried that they would worry about their 'Mom' dying. But I think it is okay to express sorrow to kids. It is part of life.
hope 12:19 PM 01-30-2014
I'm sorry you are going through this. I would try to close or talk to some parents and maybe offer a free day down the line for a day off when your dad has surgery. Your father will be in our prayers.
spud912 01:17 PM 01-30-2014
Yes, I have cried . I cried when a couple of my favorite children left on their last day, I cried when my grandpa passed away, I probably cried at some other point too. It happens in any profession .... people cry. It may be embarrassing, but it's something that happens in life and I'm not afraid to admit it happens on rare occasion. If it happened all the time, then there would be a problem obviously, but a rare instance here and there for a good reason is not a problem IMO.
Kimskiddos 01:44 PM 01-30-2014
I have cried over a couple of kiddos last days. I've learned to toughen up on that. But one time a 4yo cut a big chunk out of my 5yo dd's waist length hair. I cried as I used scissors to try a straighten it out.
crazydaycarelady 03:25 PM 01-30-2014
I hope it goes well with your dad - I bet he'll do great!

I have cried in front of the dckids. It is a real life experience and I am not ashamed to have feelings that come to the surface. When we had to put our cat to sleep, when I found out my mom had cancer, and when a friend died. Of course I found that out at pick-up time and I was a wreck.
mia 08:11 AM 01-31-2014

I would close... Like some one else said you can not get time back....
Maria2013 09:27 AM 01-31-2014
hope everything works out
Small Town Provider 09:46 AM 01-31-2014
I have cried a few times....one I really remember because it was very embarrassing.

The kids wanted me to read Love You Forever by Robert Munch. That book always makes me cry, I have never been able to read it all the way through without crying and I was pmsing at the time too.

Anyway, I said what the heck, it was just me and the kids. I got almost to the end and then started tearing up and then was crying as I read the last couple of pages and a dcm walked in. She thought it was pretty funny and the kids looked a little confused lol

OP Sorry about your Dad It's so hard doing the job we do to take time off when we need to. I have had a few really bad things happen during daycare too and it was really hard to push back so I could do my job
Play Care 09:49 AM 01-31-2014

No, I have never cried in front of DCK's. I've also never really had an issue that I was so gobsmacked with that it caused tears.

I love my dck's but I am usually when they age out of my program. Typically the last six months or so of their tenure is unbearable - with testing "too big for dc britches" behavior that I am NOT sad at all. Of course a few weeks or so after they leave and I've gotten a good break from them, I start remembering all the good times and get a little choked up
melilley 10:45 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Small Town Provider:
I have cried a few times....one I really remember because it was very embarrassing.

The kids wanted me to read Love You Forever by Robert Munch. That book always makes me cry, I have never been able to read it all the way through without crying and I was pmsing at the time too.

Anyway, I said what the heck, it was just me and the kids. I got almost to the end and then started tearing up and then was crying as I read the last couple of pages and a dcm walked in. She thought it was pretty funny and the kids looked a little confused lol

OP Sorry about your Dad It's so hard doing the job we do to take time off when we need to. I have had a few really bad things happen during daycare too and it was really hard to push back so I could do my job
I have done the same thing! My ds has the book "On The Night You Were Born" and I get choked up and teary eyed every time I read it. I read it with the dck's one day and had tears...lol
Jack Sprat 11:36 AM 01-31-2014
I can't read The Giving Tree without crying. Just thinking of the book makes me cry.
Lucy 11:43 AM 01-31-2014
Once. I'm totally NOT a cryer, so it was the only time.

I got a call that my dad had passed away unexpectedly. He was in his early 80's, but was totally healthy. Never been in the hospital, was not on any meds, very rarely even got colds, took fast walks twice a day, etc., etc. So it was really unexpected!

It was 2 1/2 yrs ago, but I remember every detail of it like it was yesterday. I had two little ones here who were not quite 3 yrs old yet. I sat down at the dining table, still on the phone, and remember repeating about 3 times loudly and through tears, "My dad is DEAD???" I couldn't wrap my head around it. One of the little girls came to my side, patted my arm, and said, "You be ok" in a reassuring tone. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it now. I still have her in my DC. I can honestly say, she helped me that day. She snapped me back to what I needed to do, and that was care for these two little ones until I could get their parents here. And that kept me distracted enough so that I didn't go completely off the deep end.

So yeah, I cried once in front of the kids.
Jack Sprat 11:44 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
Once. I'm totally NOT a cryer, so it was the only time.

I got a call that my dad had passed away unexpectedly. He was in his early 80's, but was totally healthy. Never been in the hospital, was not on any meds, very rarely even got colds, took fast walks twice a day, etc., etc. So it was really unexpected!

It was 2 1/2 yrs ago, but I remember every detail of it like it was yesterday. I had two little ones here who were not quite 3 yrs old yet. I sat down at the dining table and remember repeating about 3 times loudly and through tears, "My dad is DEAD???" I couldn't wrap my head around it. One of the little girls came to my side, patted my arm, and said, "You be ok" in a reassuring tone. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it now. I still have her in my DC. I can honestly say, she helped me that day. She snapped me back to what I needed to do, and that was care for these two little ones until I could get their parents here. And that kept me distracted enough so that I didn't go completely off the deep end.

So yeah, I cried once in front of the kids.
Oh my..that is so sweet.
Brooksie 11:46 AM 01-31-2014
I'll be crying today at pick up I'm sure. But that's because we are closing and its my last day with the kids. I think I may have cried before one other time when most were napping and one infant was awake... moral of the story is, we are human. We feel. And while its not the goal to be overly emotional in front of daycare kids, sometimes you just need to cry.

Tags:provider - crying, stress
Reply Up