Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Make This Easier To Understand Please!
finsup 08:49 AM 05-31-2017
Can you guys help me word this right? Dcm isn't due until late September, wants a spot in December. I'm not entirely thrilled about holding a spot that long but here's what I've come up with and need to convey to dcm (ftm and dcp). The spot becomes available September 1st. They may put their name on the waiting list and I will contact them in September, or they may pay the deposit to secure the spot. Once the spot becomes available in september, a monthly fee of 50% of their rate for the month is due to hold the spot through the months they do not need care. I do loose some money this way but, it's not a huge loss and it's an ideal age and schedule.
I just don't know how to word this exactly to come across clear to a mom that's new to daycare.
daycare 08:54 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by finsup:
Can you guys help me word this right? Dcm isn't due until late September, wants a spot in December. I'm not entirely thrilled about holding a spot that long but here's what I've come up with and need to convey to dcm (ftm and dcp). The spot becomes available September 1st. They may put their name on the waiting list and I will contact them in September, or they may pay the deposit to secure the spot. Once the spot becomes available in september, a monthly fee of 50% of their rate for the month is due to hold the spot through the months they do not need care. I do loose some money this way but, it's not a huge loss and it's an ideal age and schedule.
I just don't know how to word this exactly to come across clear to a mom that's new to daycare.
honestly, I have never found that holding a spot for more than 3 weeks has ever worked out. I would tell the family to check back in with you when they are ready to start. So much can and will change between now and then.

I don't do it because it just doesn't make business sense and I always end up losing money.
Ariana 09:10 AM 05-31-2017
Hi dcm,
Due to the fact that you need a delayed start of December there are a few option available to secure the spot. Since the spot will not technically be available until September you can put your name on my waitlist and I can contact you then OR you can pay the deposit now and I will secure the spot for you now. From September to the start date in December a 50% payment is due for each month (so $X due for September, October and November).
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!
Thanks
finsup 09:37 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
honestly, I have never found that holding a spot for more than 3 weeks has ever worked out. I would tell the family to check back in with you when they are ready to start. So much can and will change between now and then.

I don't do it because it just doesn't make business sense and I always end up losing money.
Yeah, I'm definitely hesitant to do it. If it wasn't for the fact that it's a perfect schedule and the age I want I wouldn't even consider it. I'm not sure she'd even go for paying for a spot when it's not being used. Most don't like to do it and well, that could settle thing whole thing right there lol.
finsup 09:38 AM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Hi dcm,
Due to the fact that you need a delayed start of December there are a few option available to secure the spot. Since the spot will not technically be available until September you can put your name on my waitlist and I can contact you then OR you can pay the deposit now and I will secure the spot for you now. From September to the start date in December a 50% payment is due for each month (so $X due for September, October and November).
Thanks
Thank you! That's great!
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Hi dcm,
Thanks
Sounds great to me, but I'd take out "or concerns" because, why give them the idea?
trix23 03:02 PM 05-31-2017
I would say " A spot will become open on (date). I will contact the first few families on my wait list to see if they are still interested. The interview process will begin with them at that time to find the best fit for the program.

If you're interested in securing your child's spot for a start date in December, this is the process for holding a spot:
- client selects an exact start date with designated days and times
-client pays first week's tuition, application fee, and supply fee and last 2 weeks' tuition to secure spot
- Client pays 50% tuition to hold the spot in the time between enrollment and the first day of care
-if client fails to pay the holding fee on time or does not start the day that is arranged, client loses the spot"

(I tell people to get back to me 4-6 weeks before care is needed to see where we are and go from there).
Max 11:52 PM 05-31-2017
Another option, consider writing a policy on holding spots and adding it to your handbook. Then send DCM a note about it "Hey DCM, I've written up a policy on how I handle holding spots. Let me know if you have any questions or as soon as you know if you'll like the spot held. Thanks!"

Here is my policy:

RESERVING OPENINGS. The payment for this service depends on the length of time the spot is held. Before payment can be accepted, we must have an interview and a contract must be signed.

UNDER 2 WEEKS. If you want an opening to be held for 2 weeks or less, than the cash deposit and 1st week’s payment is due prior to the spot being reserved. If payment hasn’t been received, than the opening is available to anyone. The 1st week’s payment will be non-refundable if you cancel.

OVER 2 WEEKS. If you would like an opening to be held for more than 2 weeks, then you must pay 50% of the weekly rate for that opening, in addition to the deposit and 1st week’s payment. You do not have to pay any weekly rate for the week prior to your child’s start date. The 50% weekly rate is due by Fridays at 5:00pm for the upcoming week.

Failure to pay the weekly rate at 50% will result in immediate termination of the reservation. No refunds will be given for the previous weekly payments paid at 50%. Your 1st week’s payment will be non-refundable but the cash deposit will be refunded at 100%.

If you change your mind on the reservation, please speak to me about it as soon as possible.

(Below info is in a chart in my handbook)
Notice*..........Cash Deposit..........1st Week’s Payment
2 Weeks..........100% Refund..........50% Refund
1 Week..........100% Refund..........25% Refund
< 1 Week..........100% Refund..........No Refund

*Based off when the opening becomes available, NOT when the opening is needed.

finsup 05:45 AM 06-01-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
Another option, consider writing a policy on holding spots and adding it to your handbook. Then send DCM a note about it "Hey DCM, I've written up a policy on how I handle holding spots. Let me know if you have any questions or as soon as you know if you'll like the spot held. Thanks!"

Here is my policy:

RESERVING OPENINGS. The payment for this service depends on the length of time the spot is held. Before payment can be accepted, we must have an interview and a contract must be signed.

UNDER 2 WEEKS. If you want an opening to be held for 2 weeks or less, than the cash deposit and 1st week’s payment is due prior to the spot being reserved. If payment hasn’t been received, than the opening is available to anyone. The 1st week’s payment will be non-refundable if you cancel.

OVER 2 WEEKS. If you would like an opening to be held for more than 2 weeks, then you must pay 50% of the weekly rate for that opening, in addition to the deposit and 1st week’s payment. You do not have to pay any weekly rate for the week prior to your child’s start date. The 50% weekly rate is due by Fridays at 5:00pm for the upcoming week.

Failure to pay the weekly rate at 50% will result in immediate termination of the reservation. No refunds will be given for the previous weekly payments paid at 50%. Your 1st week’s payment will be non-refundable but the cash deposit will be refunded at 100%.

If you change your mind on the reservation, please speak to me about it as soon as possible.

(Below info is in a chart in my handbook)
Notice*..........Cash Deposit..........1st Week’s Payment
2 Weeks..........100% Refund..........50% Refund
1 Week..........100% Refund..........25% Refund
< 1 Week..........100% Refund..........No Refund

*Based off when the opening becomes available, NOT when the opening is needed.
This is perfect to add to my handbook, thank you!! I have been trying to get one worded right for my handbook, but hadn't really gotten anything finalized. The family is coming to interview this weekend so this will be very helpful!
Reply Up