Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Payment Help
Preschool123 06:38 AM 05-17-2014
I have a dcm that really seems to think she owns the world. She does not even look at you when you talk to her or even say good morning. On top of that she pays on time 2 Fridays and late the next 2. I'm sick and tire of it, she does pay the $30.00 late fee on Monday but I really need the money on Fridays. She and the child's father take turns taking the child and he is not responsible for the payments since he pays her child support or whatever their arrangement is. So he picks him up on Fridays and sometimes drops off on Mondays so there is no payment until either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. I have told them straight at their face payment is due today or payment is not up to date for this week and he just says I'll talk to his mom. Anyway I'm sick and tire of all of them and their ridicules schedule and arrangement. This child has no schedule, no structure and is the one child that gives me a huge headache every single day. I mean every single minute if there is something going on, you name it, this child is the head of the game. So anyways I just want to write a very friendly or unfriendly letter staying that they will be terminated if payment is late again. Today is the Third time in 2 months that this happened and I'm just not here to take care of adults needs to. I also had another incident with this family yesterday when dcd came to pick up the child he started acting out and running all over the classroom (which he is not allowed to do) and nocked down a block tower my 3 year old daughter was building along with other things. My daughter react of course as a child and pushed him so dcd was very upset and held my daughter and toke her to the other side of the room like his child had the right to do what he did. My hubby was so upset I have to have him breathe before something else happened but I did not like he touched my daughter (or any other child). This dcb is the one that hits people all the time in fact he hit a dcg with a car on her face right under her eye the day before. Anyway how would you handle both of this situations.
daycare 06:50 AM 05-17-2014
are you documenting that the child is hitting and hurting others?

as for the late fee I would send this...

Per our contract after 3 late pays, you are subject to termination of contract. The next failure to pay on time will result in immediate termination of care.

Short sweet and simple. BTW what does your policy say?
Preschool123 06:59 AM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
are you documenting that the child is hitting and hurting others?

as for the late fee I would send this...

Per our contract after 3 late pays, you are subject to termination of contract. The next failure to pay on time will result in immediate termination of care.

Short sweet and simple. BTW what does your policy say?
Payment:

Parent(s) agree to make a weekly payment of $_____________ in advance on Friday for the week ahead. Payment will be accepted in the form of personal check, money order or cash. Make checks payable to: The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. Parent(s) also agree to pay the full tuition cost whether or not the child is in attendance, this includes but is not limited to; field trips, vacations, sick days and holidays. No discounts or refunds will be made by The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. due to child’s attendance or enrollment status.

Late Payments:

The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. will assess a $10.00 fee per day in the event of late payment. Parent(s) understand that payments are considered late if they are not made on Friday of the previous week by 6:00pm EST. The late payment fee will start to add up on Friday at 12:00am and will continue to increase at 12:00am every day until the account is paid off. Parent(s) agree to pay all payments and fees before children can be admitted to school on Monday.

Termination Policy:

The first 14 days (after the enrollment date) will be regarded as a trial period, in which case either party can terminate the contract with a 24 hrs. written notice. After the trial period the parent(s) must give a written notice two weeks in advance for termination of the contract. The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. reserves the right to terminate this contract “at will”. Parent(s) agree to make all payments due at the time that such notice is given. This includes but is not limited to any late fees, tuitions payments and late pick-up payments. The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. reserves the right to terminate this contract if the account have a balance older than 7 days, or if there is any gross misconduct on part of the parent or child, or if in any way the provider feels that the policies are not been followed by the parent(s). This includes but is not limited to late or non-payment of tuition, parent adopts an adversarial role with any member of The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. or the families it serves, enrolled child hurts, endangers or causes the suffering of any member of The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. or the families it serves, parent behaves inappropriately in the school environment or on school grounds. This includes, but is not limited to language and actions that are vulgar, abusive, dangerous or sexually suggestive. In the event of immediate termination the parent (s) agree to make all payment in full as agreed in this contract. The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. also reserves the right to terminate this contract if the parent(s) need to change the hours agreed on this contract and the provider is not able to provide services for the new hours. Parent(s) understand and agree that if the child is in a “part time” schedule The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. reserves the right to terminate this contract at any time with a 24 hour notice, if a “full time” parent(s) is in need of The Kids Place Preschool, Inc. services and such services are not available due to the “part time” spot the parent(s) is using. Termination for these reasons does not entitle family to reimbursement of any monies paid.
snbauser 07:01 AM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by marlyerodrigue:
II also had another incident with this family yesterday when dcd came to pick up the child he started acting out and running all over the classroom (which he is not allowed to do) and nocked down a block tower my 3 year old daughter was building along with other things. My daughter react of course as a child and pushed him so dcd was very upset and held my daughter and toke her to the other side of the room like his child had the right to do what he did. My hubby was so upset I have to have him breathe before something else happened but I did not like he touched my daughter (or any other child).
Honestly, the first time a dcp touched my kid or any other kid in my care, they would be terminated.

As far as the late fee, if you want to write them a letter I would keep it short and sweet. Something like -

DCP,
Per our contract and previous conversation, tuition payments are due on Fridays by close of business. Continued late payments are a breach of our contract and any future late payments will result in immediate termination.

Sincerely,
your Provider
daycare 07:09 AM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Honestly, the first time a dcp touched my kid or any other kid in my care, they would be terminated.

As far as the late fee, if you want to write them a letter I would keep it short and sweet. Something like -

DCP,
Per our contract and previous conversation, tuition payments are due on Fridays by close of business. Continued late payments are a breach of our contract and any future late payments will result in immediate termination.

Sincerely,
your Provider
what she wrote was much better and falls within the lines of your contract.

I also agree about the behavior.... I termed a child for jumping on my child's back while the parent was here and the parent did nothing about it. that was their last day.

This family sounds like a mess....can you afford to be done with them and term?
daycare 07:10 AM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by snbauser:

DCP,

Sincerely,
your Provider

I also agree about the behavior.... I termed a child for jumping on my child's back while the parent was here and the parent did nothing about it. that was their last day.

Preschool123 07:24 AM 05-17-2014

I can but at the same time I only been in business for 9 months and I had to term 2 families already due to same kind of problem. I don't want to give the impression of not been able to keep children or anything but at the same time I'm not willing to take peoples crap more that enough.

It kind of seems like people see a new place and they want to take advantage of it until you put your foot down and terminate them.

I'm still a little ignorant I could say when it comes to dealing with this type of issues so any advice will be highly appreciated.
daycare 07:29 AM 05-17-2014
I can but at the same time I only been in business for 9 months and I had to term 2 families already due to same kind of problem. I don't want to give the impression of not been able to keep children or anything but at the same time I'm not willing to take peoples crap more that enough.

It kind of seems like people see a new place and they want to take advantage of it until you put your foot down and terminate them.

I'm still a little ignorant I could say when it comes to dealing with this type of issues so any advice will be highly appreciated.
I would have a conversation with the mom face to face.

Tell her, I understand that you and dad have your arrangement worked out, but I need for you to get payments to me BY Friday. If you need to give the check on Thursday or whenever her last day of care is that you are the one dropping off or picking up, you need to pay it then. Let her know that it is not working out the way that it is now.

I find that the more stern you get, the more you say no, the more you talk face to face, the more they listen. I used to hide behind my computer and try to email them, it does not work.

Who do you have the contract with MOM ??
Preschool123 07:34 AM 05-17-2014
I would have a conversation with the mom face to face.

Tell her, I understand that you and dad have your arrangement worked out, but I need for you to get payments to me BY Friday. If you need to give the check on Thursday or whenever her last day of care is that you are the one dropping off or picking up, you need to pay it then. Let her know that it is not working out the way that it is now.

I find that the more stern you get, the more you say no, the more you talk face to face, the more they listen. I used to hide behind my computer and try to email them, it does not work.

Who do you have the contract with MOM ??
All my contracts are signed by both parents even if only one is going to be making the payments. If the dad is not in the picture then only mom but in this case they both signed and I give them copies afterwards to each since they don't live together.
daycare 07:44 AM 05-17-2014
All my contracts are signed by both parents even if only one is going to be making the payments. If the dad is not in the picture then only mom but in this case they both signed and I give them copies afterwards to each since they don't live together.
ok so in this case I would email them both and let them know the issue.

NOW I am sappy and lay on the cheese, others on here come from a much stronger professional side of things, you need to do what works for you. If this were me here is what I would do.

I would email both parents, copy dad/mom whatever

Dear DCP,

As you are aware, it is our policy that DC payments are made on time when due. In the past few weeks I am not getting on time payments from you which affects my ability to purchase necessary supplies for your child's up coming week. As his parents, I am sure you can understand the cost that it requires to feed and care for a child.

Moving forward, I am no longer going to accept late payments. Payments need to be made on or before the due date. You are always welcome to leave checks early and I will wait to deposit the check on Friday, your normal payment due date. Should payments continue to not be paid on time, I will have no choice but to end our contract for care for Billy.

I also wanted to discuss with you that it seems like little billy is going through a phase of hitting right now. While at the age of 2 this is typical behavior, we are doing all that we can to redirect him, encourage him to use his hands and educate him that hitting is not ok. Hopefully by working together we can help Billy to use his words and learn how to use gentle hands with his friends here at school.

I really appreciate your attention to this and all matters regarding Billy, we want nothing but the best for him.

Regards,

DCP

After sending the email, I would then talk face to face with mom about it.
daycare 07:44 AM 05-17-2014
ok so in this case I would email them both and let them know the issue.

NOW I am sappy and lay on the cheese, others on here come from a much stronger professional side of things, you need to do what works for you. If this were me here is what I would do.

I would email both parents, copy dad/mom whatever

Dear DCP,

As you are aware, it is our policy that DC payments are made on time when due. In the past few weeks I am not getting on time payments from you which affects my ability to purchase necessary supplies for your child's up coming week. As his parents, I am sure you can understand the cost that it requires to feed and care for a child.

Moving forward, I am no longer going to accept late payments. Payments need to be made on or before the due date. You are always welcome to leave checks early and I will wait to deposit the check on Friday, your normal payment due date. Should payments continue to not be paid on time, I will have no choice but to end our contract for care for Billy.

I also wanted to discuss with you that it seems like little billy is going through a phase of hitting right now. While at the age of 2 this is typical behavior, we are doing all that we can to redirect him, encourage him to use his hands and educate him that hitting is not ok. Hopefully by working together we can help Billy to use his words and learn how to use gentle hands with his friends here at school.

I really appreciate your attention to this and all matters regarding Billy, we want nothing but the best for him.

Regards,

DCP

After sending the email, I would then talk face to face with mom about it.
snbauser 08:26 AM 05-17-2014
What about an incremental late fee? I've done that before for late pick ups. Because obviously the late fee that you are charging isn't an issue for her. I would remind her she can always leave the check early and you will hold it until Friday. But maybe do $10/day the first time, $15/day the second time within 3 months or 6 months or whatever, $20/day the third time, etc until it makes an impact on her
Second Home 08:58 AM 05-17-2014
There is no way that I would tolerate any dcp putting their hands on my child . That would have been their last day .
Mister Sir Husband 09:07 AM 05-17-2014
I wouldn't worry about the late payments as I have no tolerance for a child hitting another one.. if its a new enrollment I will work on it, but if it continues they would be gone.
Josiegirl 09:55 AM 05-17-2014
A dcparent holding my child and taking her to the other side of the room?? Outta there. So fast.
Babyluver21 12:11 PM 05-17-2014
I'd call them TODAY, and then let them know they are NOT coming back. Write an email/letter explaining why for documentation.

"Dear Daycare Crazy Dad",

After our encounter Friday, where you put your hands on my child, without her permission or without mine, I will be unable to accept your child back into care. Please catch up your late payments for care provided and the two week pay period. If you have questions, please refer to the handbook or contact me by phone.

Thanks
Your "I have had enough DCP"

I'm so steamin' mad, I could have worded that better for you.
SillyGrl 05:14 PM 05-17-2014
He violated your contract by putting his hands on your child. According to the part you posted, they are subject to termination, regardless of the constant late payments.

Does anyone include in their contracts that after so many incidents of late payments, family is subject to termination? I'm thinking of putting something like that in mine. After so many incidents within so many months or whatever....
Preschool123 05:43 PM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by SillyGrl:
He violated your contract by putting his hands on your child. According to the part you posted, they are subject to termination, regardless of the constant late payments.

Does anyone include in their contracts that after so many incidents of late payments, family is subject to termination? I'm thinking of putting something like that in mine. After so many incidents within so many months or whatever....
How would you word that in the contract? I was thinking about that too. And I already called them and they did not answer as usual because they just go back and forth with the child and at the end no one is responsible for him. It makes me so upset. You will think that they are this great family that went through a divorce and worked things out for the well being of their child but in reality they are both leaving their owns life's and dcb is in the middle with no structure, no discipline, no nothing. If I ask for diapers they take a week to bring them because dad doesn't bring them and mom always forget. HUgggggg!
SillyGrl 06:09 PM 05-17-2014
I'm really brand new, but maybe a letter saying something like, "according to our signed contract, daycare services are terminated resulting from the incident on date." Include a copy of the page and highlight that part. Maybe?
Reply Up