Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clients Divorce Affecting My Business-WWYD?
WBee 06:37 AM 02-18-2020
Happy Tuesday! I have been caring for a friend's grandson for 2 years now. DCM is going through a (nasty immature) divorce which has already cost me another (toddler) client (cousin of theirs) because the families are in a battle and cannot be near each other. This current dcb was 2x per week but went to 3x per week during the separation in December. Now DCD refuses to drop-off 1x per week, every other week, so DCM wants to cut back to 2x per week again. I've already lost $$ losing the cousin, now this? WWYD? I just cannot have her changing schedules without notice and every other month due to her situation-and believe me, it's been a petty one on both sides. If I wasn't friends with the grandparents (who are the ones who actually pay), I would have been done with the drama already.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by WBee:
Happy Tuesday! I have been caring for a friend's grandson for 2 years now. DCM is going through a (nasty immature) divorce which has already cost me another (toddler) client (cousin of theirs) because the families are in a battle and cannot be near each other. This current dcb was 2x per week but went to 3x per week during the separation in December. Now DCD refuses to drop-off 1x per week, every other week, so DCM wants to cut back to 2x per week again. I've already lost $$ losing the cousin, now this? WWYD? I just cannot have her changing schedules without notice and every other month due to her situation-and believe me, it's been a petty one on both sides. If I wasn't friends with the grandparents (who are the ones who actually pay), I would have been done with the drama already.
This is one of those situations where you really have no other option but to choose friendship or income.

I'd bow out and refuse to care for the child.
Not your circus not your monkeys. Unless YOU allow them to be.

It's already costing you money and depending on how much more you are willing to risk, this won't end well either way.

If the grandparent is a friend of yours they should absolutely understand the situation this has put you in and would understand your reasoning for not wanting to be involved any more.

If not, then they really aren't that good of a friend.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear but it's as honest as I can be.

I'm sorry you are in this mess at all.
Ariana 07:03 AM 02-18-2020
I agree with BlackCat. This is not personal, it is business. They have no issue doing what they need to do so why does it make you the bad guy doing what you need to do? Do they think about how they are interfering with your income when they do this? Nope!

Be upfront and honest if they are your friends and let them know how much money you are losing. Maybe then they will get a clue and stop being so selfish.
Cat Herder 07:51 AM 02-18-2020
Is she paying full-time rates? If not, I'd put her on that immediately. That way it won't matter what day she wants to bring him, all 5 are hers. Problem solved.

If she refuses, I'd just term. Too much drama, part-time care in and of itself is drama enough.
WBee 08:45 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Is she paying full-time rates? If not, I'd put her on that immediately. That way it won't matter what day she wants to bring him, all 5 are hers. Problem solved.

If she refuses, I'd just term. Too much drama, part-time care in and of itself is drama enough.
Thank you! :-) No, the grandparents pay per day, 2 day minimum. Should make a new 3 day minimum rule. I only have 1 other 2 day client. She was going to put himin pre-k this year but then realized how much more $$ it would be and kept him here. Grandparents refuse to pay day 3. Her (ex) hubby is supposed to pay half and refusing also. Got court ordered last week so...I don't get it.
rosieteddy 10:03 AM 02-18-2020
I would go with "sorry no longer offering 2 days only".If pushed state that you lost cousin because of this and need to fill slots.
littlefriends 10:32 AM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I would go with "sorry no longer offering 2 days only".If pushed state that you lost cousin because of this and need to fill slots.
This is what I was thinking too. Can you just tell her you aren’t going to offer part time anymore? Would she take you up on a full time slot? If so then you would at least not have the money end of it bothering you anymore.
Tags:divorced parents
Reply Up