Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:03 PM
mamamanda's Avatar
mamamanda mamamanda is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,131
Default Seconds at Snack?

I have 2 dcks who are 3 & almost 5 (love them both to pieces) who always want seconds at snack time & sometimes thirds & fourths. At lunch time I typically feed them until they're full even if it is 3 or 4 helpings, but they treat snack time like mealtime & I'm never sure whether to allow that or tell them to wait for their mom to eat more. Snack is about an hour before they get picked up. I try to serve healthy meals. Its not like they're gorging themselves on junk. A few examples from this week are fresh veggies with peanut butter & applesauce, fruit, cheese stick, & veggies with ranch, frozen banana rolled in yogurt & crushed granola & whole wheat toast. All are served with milk. Would you accomodate requests for more?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamanda View Post
I have 2 dcks who are 3 & almost 5 (love them both to pieces) who always want seconds at snack time & sometimes thirds & fourths. At lunch time I typically feed them until they're full even if it is 3 or 4 helpings, but they treat snack time like mealtime & I'm never sure whether to allow that or tell them to wait for their mom to eat more. Snack is about an hour before they get picked up. I try to serve healthy meals. Its not like they're gorging themselves on junk. A few examples from this week are fresh veggies with peanut butter & applesauce, fruit, cheese stick, & veggies with ranch, frozen banana rolled in yogurt & crushed granola & whole wheat toast. All are served with milk. Would you accomodate requests for more?
No seconds on snack. Its suppose to be a snack to tide them over til dinner not fill them up. If it did, they'd be too full for dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:13 PM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is offline
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,204
Default

I give seconds at snack, but it is a smaller portion (about half size). I serve snack around 3 so even if they eat plenty it's early enough that it doesn't affect their dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:22 PM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

I don't do seconds at snacks. Lunch, yes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2015, 05:24 PM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
No seconds on snack. Its suppose to be a snack to tide them over til dinner not fill them up. If it did, they'd be too full for dinner.
This.

That said, I'd take a look at my snack. Is it a good, filing snack? I have some bigger, active kids and they do need the calories.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

My question would be... Are they truly hungry, or just used to requesting and receiving more and more food. If they are typically eating the same amount of snack each day and then also eating all of their dinner, then it would seem to me that they are literally hungry and need that amount of food. Now, my next question is, are they overweight? Do they have any health problems related to eating? Are they overly thin and do people tell them they need to eat more to 'put meat on their bones'? I would try to find out why they want more food than normal for their ages. Then decide what to do about it.

If they are a normal weight, eat all of the snack they request and all of their dinner they request, and no one is telling them to eat more than they should, then I would feed them what they request. They might have a high metabolism and are able to eat more than a typical person their age and need that extra food.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,902
Default

No seconds on snack here.

I have three who do nothing but eat. Eat on the way here. Then eat breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack here. Then eat a snack in the car on the way home and then eat dinner at home. They eat so often I don't think they know the feeling of "hungry" and "full."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 AM
VTMom's Avatar
VTMom VTMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 371
Default

"It's a snack not a meal." Even the daycare kids say this now!

I do offer 2nds on fruit if it's available. I don't offer 2nds on the grain or protein part of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Our snack is at 3:15. I will at times give a small second serving. Never more than that. It depends on what we are having tho. I definitely wouldn't give huge servings of snacks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:22 AM
Jujube835's Avatar
Jujube835 Jujube835 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 76
Default

I will give seconds on snack if they're eating well at meal times. I have two dcks right now that will scarf down snack foods but won't eat a meal to save their lives.

Ate no breakfast, only two bites of your turkey sandwich at lunch and now want 17 pb crackers/ 11 cheese sticks/6 apples during snack? Nope.

But, if they're eating a good portion of the healthy, filling stuff and then want an extra helping at snack, I give it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-25-2015, 06:25 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujube835 View Post
I will give seconds on snack if they're eating well at meal times. I have two dcks right now that will scarf down snack foods but won't eat a meal to save their lives.

Ate no breakfast, only two bites of your turkey sandwich at lunch and now want 17 pb crackers/ 11 cheese sticks/6 apples during snack? Nope.

But, if they're eating a good portion of the healthy, filling stuff and then want an extra helping at snack, I give it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 AM
mamamanda's Avatar
mamamanda mamamanda is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
My question would be... Are they truly hungry, or just used to requesting and receiving more and more food. If they are typically eating the same amount of snack each day and then also eating all of their dinner, then it would seem to me that they are literally hungry and need that amount of food. Now, my next question is, are they overweight? Do they have any health problems related to eating? Are they overly thin and do people tell them they need to eat more to 'put meat on their bones'? I would try to find out why they want more food than normal for their ages. Then decide what to do about it.

If they are a normal weight, eat all of the snack they request and all of their dinner they request, and no one is telling them to eat more than they should, then I would feed them what they request. They might have a high metabolism and are able to eat more than a typical person their age and need that extra food.
This actually makes sense to me. Dcg was failure to thrive as an infant/toddler & they bribed her to eat anything & every thing. Lots of praise/treats for eating food. She's fine now , caught up on weight & everything. The last year or so appetite has increased exponentially, but I'm thinking they are so thankful to see her eat they're probably encouraging the overeating at home. They can eat 2 turkey sandwiches, fruit, & milk at snack & when mom walks in an hour later they ask, "Did you bring a snack in the car? We're hungry." I'm concerns that's going to a negative habit in the long run.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 AM
bklsmum's Avatar
bklsmum bklsmum is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 560
Default

Here they can have seconds at breakfast and lunch but only one am snack and one pm snack.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujube835 View Post
I will give seconds on snack if they're eating well at meal times. I have two dcks right now that will scarf down snack foods but won't eat a meal to save their lives.

Ate no breakfast, only two bites of your turkey sandwich at lunch and now want 17 pb crackers/ 11 cheese sticks/6 apples during snack? Nope.

But, if they're eating a good portion of the healthy, filling stuff and then want an extra helping at snack, I give it.
This is me. If they are not eating the meals they don't get seconds on snacks if they were hungry they would eat the meals. But I will give extra fruit and veggies at snack to those who are good eaters. But I don't do seconds on grains and such. If they are hungry they will take the veggies.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-25-2015, 02:00 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,786
Default

I allow seconds on all meals - but only seconds. I make sure they have the food program minimums for firsts and seconds, then if they're still hungry they'll have a chance to eat at the next meal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
seconds, snacks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snack Question--What Do You Usually Serve? SilverSabre25 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 35 08-11-2015 02:10 PM
Question About Meal And Snack Deductions AcornMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-16-2013 02:59 PM
Snack Eating Issues Sunshine74 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 02-12-2013 08:12 PM
Who doesn't do AM snack? daycarediva Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 21 08-17-2012 01:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:35 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming